Heads up - U0101 code could be from just a blown fuse!!

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Heads up - U0101 code could be from just a blown fuse!!

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » July 31st, 2016, 2:03 pm

Ok, so had to log in to give this heads up to you lot :)

Coming home from a north Simpson trip 6 weeks or so back, I had a big issue with the U0101 code 'Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module'.
Limp mode 860km home due to timing / dealer availability & loctaion.

Full description of what happened to me here . . . http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... 016.39758/

Anyway, finally got around to diagnosing, and googled up a very helpful 4x4 Earth thread here http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... 101.38067/ that described most of my issues.

In short, the problems encountered are :
The CEL light and code U0101 'Lost Communication With TCM'
No speedo, no odo / trip meter working
No 4WD lights
No Overdrive button
No forward gears (auto) at all, just seems to be in 3rd or 4th
Limp mode is obvious
No brake lights
No horn
Limited OBD2 function

Again in short, the issue was a BLOWN 15amp FUSE !!
The one marked Brake / Horn, and would you believe that Ford run the TCM wiring through this too !! Unlabeled !!
Man, what a headache, and all to save another fuse for a (one would think) vital electronic module !!

Found the reason for the blown fuse, the red wire on the trailer plug had dislodged, most likely from the mud build up coming down the BV Tk, and obviously it had touched a bare metal part of the towbar or screw etc just as I braked approaching a bog hole on the William Ck - Coober Pedy Rd.

So at the moment, new fuse is in, trailer plug wire is isolated and taped up until I can get to fixing it, battery disconnected for ECU reset, desulphate charging battery, should be all hooked up tomorrow sometime and fingers crossed I am 99.99% sure that it should be all ok.
Will then check codes stored and clear.

So keep this one in mind, I didn't check the brake lights / horn, or realise they weren't operational, that might have prompted me to check the fuse etc.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Heads up - U0101 code could be from just a blown fuse!!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 31st, 2016, 8:21 pm

Thanks Les, that could be (& obviously has been) a right pain, & all for what shoulda been a simple thing!!

Thanks for the heads up, I hope yours is well sorted now, & that no one else has the same problem - or if they do, they remember to check that Brake/Horn Fuse!!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » August 1st, 2016, 11:13 am

Gee, that's a shocker Les!
Once again, we are grateful for all your road tests and travels (and learnings).
What a shocker, running something as important as that off a fuse that is quite easily blown.
Thanks for the information, glad you got to it ok.
Rex

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » August 2nd, 2016, 9:42 pm

Yes, pretty disgusted with Ford skimping like that, but then I've read similar things, think it's Pathfinders that have an issue with limp mode and brake light or fuse.

I'm happy to post up my findings with these sorts of things, helps others in the same boat, just like I was able to pin point this from the Earth thread I found.
Saved a bundle going to Ford, they probably would have just fitted a new TCM, ECM, who knows, they are sometimes bloody hopeless.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » August 3rd, 2016, 9:37 am

Exactly the same with the Isuzus. Maybe it is common with manufacturers?

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”