Cam Cover Rubber Gasket replacement

arief
Here and there

Cam Cover Rubber Gasket replacement

Unread post by arief » April 4th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Hello Boys,

Hope everyone is doing well with their respective trucks.

Just wanted to verify something with the experts here.

Based on the recommended scheduled maintenance that was provided by Ford Malaysia, the cam cover rubber gasket is to be changed at every 120,000 km. My Ford Everest has done 145,000 km (overdue) and there is a leak near the side with the turbo – not a very major one but you can see engine oil stains.

I was told by my mech the last time I had the belts changed that to open the cam cover would require special tools as it requires the removal of the injectors and I was advised to go back to a Ford Authorised Service Centre (which I would rather not).

Is this true?

Just wanted to check as I'm suspecting that my usual guy is not so keen to do repair works as it takes up the hoist for a longer period of time and profit margin on replacement spare parts are very slim as oppose to the selling and fitting of after-market accessories (it’s been a real boom market in Malaysia ever since the introduction of the PX/ T6 Ranger and BT 50 – Malaysian roads are swarmed with Parking Lots Princesses, trucks that are done over the top but would never ever leave the tarmac).

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Re: Cam Cover Rubber Gasket replacement

Unread post by Chamberlain » April 5th, 2016, 3:15 pm

I'm afraid the injectors do need to come out to get the cover off.
Can be done, but extreme care needed to keep everything injector related spotlessly clean. And ensure proper tension on all bolts.
Rx

arief
Here and there

Unread post by arief » April 5th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Thanks for the verification Chamberlain.

Guess Ill just drive it around for a bit more. The mech said it should be okay as long as I monitor my oil level and since I change engine oil every 5,000 to 6,000 km.

typhoeus
Need to get out more

Unread post by typhoeus » April 5th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Perhaps a couple of bolts have come a bit loose. Have you tried nipping them up a little?

arief
Here and there

Unread post by arief » April 6th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Typhoeus. Ill ask them to give it a shot the next time she goes in for a lube job.

Josho123o2
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Josho123o2 » April 22nd, 2016, 1:26 pm

I am also noticing a small stain beginning to appear on the front right corner of the engine (turbo side). my ranger has done roughly 130 000. the injector washers need doing also so may as well get this sorted at the same time.
PK wildtrak. lift, exhaust, dick cepek 32", rock sliders, RIGID industries spots and light bar, RUNVA winch, lift off canopy etc etc etc

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » April 22nd, 2016, 6:54 pm

How do you know the injector washers need doing? You talking about the copper washer seals between the injector and head?
Rx

Josho123o2
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Josho123o2 » May 6th, 2016, 9:54 am

yeah mate. they've slowly worn over time. you will notice a sooty residue forming around the washer, some even hear a strange whistling noise but only on cold. when they heat they expand and are fine. mechanic has changed a few sets on rangers around a similar kilometre mark. may as well kill two birds with one stone.
PK wildtrak. lift, exhaust, dick cepek 32", rock sliders, RIGID industries spots and light bar, RUNVA winch, lift off canopy etc etc etc

arief
Here and there

Unread post by arief » April 16th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Hey guys, just an update, and yeah it took me about a year of driving until I got around to doing this.

Found a new mechanic who was willing to help me change the Cam Cover gasket and he did it without needing to use any special tools. Just a bit tedious and it took them a whole day.

Confirming my belief that the 4by4 mechanic/shop that I have been going to is no longer interested in doing repair works, they prefer to just sell bolt on parts and change suspensions for all these car park princes in Malaysia.

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”