Car's not running well - could it be bad injectors?

Nickj2411
Here and there

Re: Car's not running well - could it be bad injectors?

Unread post by Nickj2411 » March 30th, 2016, 7:22 pm

On a recent long interstate trip, I put a full bottle of injector cleaner in 3 tanks of fuel. Didn't seem to change anything though.
Mine seems to lack torque when towing our 850kg camper up any sort of hill.
I was considering having the injectors cleaned too.

Nick
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX auto. ARB winch bar, ARB canopy, Bighorns.

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » April 3rd, 2016, 11:19 pm

Update,
Injector no 3 replaced with good second hand one, no difference , engine still has a miss.

A week later all injectors removed and placed in ultrasonic bath,
Injectors put back in , engine still misses.

Help any one ?

3136 ranger
Here and there

Unread post by 3136 ranger » April 9th, 2016, 9:16 am

what does the exhaust look like? Normal or black?
You said something regarding glow plug light not coming on previously, perhaps one has finally gone bad and not firing up? & Maybe that's related to the top end cleaner you used? Is there any way to test them without pulling them out?
I found this on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Po_1pN ... tml5=False

If one cyl wasn't firing would you get an oily exhaust, or would it be partially burned in the exhaust from the heat?

Possibly the intake cleaner dislodged some crap and got stuck in a valve??
Maybe run some engine oil flush and do another oil change?

Maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth, check the marks line up.
Sorry mate I'm just thinking out loud and guessing here.

3136 ranger
Here and there

Unread post by 3136 ranger » April 9th, 2016, 9:46 am

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » April 9th, 2016, 11:00 pm

No black smoke , exhaust appears normal.

If injector is not firing correctly, it will just be lean , i dont agree with an oil exhaust.

Someones mentioned the jump tooth bit, will have to check .

3136 ranger
Here and there

Unread post by 3136 ranger » April 29th, 2016, 7:30 am

Did you sort this out yet?

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » April 29th, 2016, 10:22 pm

hi,
No, it is not sorted,
Timing belt checked, No jumped tooth.All good.
Intake shutter valve seems to work between the three positions.
Took injectors to get checked, all are firing , although some have excessive back leakage. Injector place told me, even so, they should still run.
The miss/shake is still present , more so in higher gears under load on low revs.
As revs increase it seems to disappear.
Could it be the wastegate, or that variable vane control not functioning properly ?
Or a cylinder on low compression ?

Any help is appreciated
Paul.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » April 30th, 2016, 7:54 am

I seem to remember some time ago getting a feeling that the thing could be out on one lung. Did you ever get a compression test? I have concerns that the modern mechanic may not hear it, but if it were that bad, you could generally tell by the way the engine wound over or when it was idling.
Just an idea, but worth checking.
Ch

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » April 30th, 2016, 9:12 pm

Chamberlain , compression test is next on the list ...
My feeling is if it was out on one cylinder , then
would it still go hard on the top end ?
Anyway , all I can do is check and rule it out.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » May 1st, 2016, 8:35 am

It's only an idea, I've seen it before. There don't seem to be may other ideas going at present.
With a lower revving diesel that normally pulls at low revs, you could get a vibration when under load. As far as top end? Would just be sluggish.
Keep us informed, there has to be a fix to this.
Ch

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » May 21st, 2016, 11:49 pm

Gents, compression test done.
Comp between 380 and 400 psi .

Still running badly.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » May 22nd, 2016, 7:39 am

Ohh, Booo.
Been waiting to see how you got on with that.
Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I love the new technology, but in some ways miss the easy diagnosis of the old engines.
Please keep us informed.
Rx

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 22nd, 2016, 7:18 pm

Just a (another??) thought here.... In the last few years I've run across a couple of cars that ran like dogs at odd times much like you've described, and also proved very difficult to diagnose/fix like you've found here... :irked: Admittedly, these vehicles were both electronically controlled/enhanced injection systems rather than the mechanical systems I'm much more familiar & comfortable with, so it wasn't really all that hard to get ME stumped!! But, they both also had all the very skilled 'EFI Guru's I know stumped too, & it took us collectively a fair while of driving everyone nuts before eventually we discovered that they had one of the relays involved in providing the injection pulse failing under load/at odd times. At 'no load idle' both had relays that were working fine & so weren't identified as an issue; and these relays (each) only broke down under a (different) set of circumstances that made it very difficult to track down & identify them as being the issue at the moment they were failing, but both vehicles had an intermittent miss/shake/knock only when under load at low to mid revs in the higher gears, but never when pulling or working hard in the lower gears when you'd expect it to do that!!

The first one we had went on for so long it almost drove me to pull out what little hair I have left!! But eventually we found it & its relatively easy fix, so later on when we came across the second engine with the same issue & it started driving me'n everyone I asked about it nuts, I finally remembered the first vehicle with this relay failure & mentioned it, so we started replacing relays & sure'nuff, we (eventually!!) found & replaced the dud relay that solved the second problem... :rolleyes:

Sooo, maybe you should consider just working your way thru the ign system & injection control/inj pulse circuit & remove/replace any relays involved (I think there are only a couple on most systems anyway?) just to see if one of them might be going dodgy but not yet fully dead?!! These relay things can be real bugga's at times, only breaking down if they get hit with the right load at the right temp &/or the right revs or something similar (ie, like maybe you've got your tongue out the LEFT side of your mouth as you press the accelerator rather than sticking out your more usual right side?!) & so can be bloody hard to actually identify as being dodgy... you actually hafta catch them 'failing' in the act of creating the miss/shake, & since that isn't happening always & is only under that specific load condition anyway, it's just not easy to duplicate & track down!!

Just a thought anyway, so there you are, for whatever it's worth!! I do hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later... :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

fr2007
Here and there

Unread post by fr2007 » May 24th, 2016, 11:03 pm

Peter, some valid points.
I will try and investigate if their are relays present on the injection side ,
For some reason I recall that the injectors were fed straight , direct from the ECU.

I will obtain some wiring diagrams and check it out.

Thanks for your input .
Paul.

Chamberlain
Been here a while

Unread post by Chamberlain » May 25th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Paul, have you a manual?

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”