Trouble codes - any ideas how to fix these?

Leathertechs
I'm new, be nice!

Trouble codes - any ideas how to fix these?

Unread post by Leathertechs » September 6th, 2015, 6:36 pm

My 2011 PK Ranger went into limp mode 2 days ago, Ultragauge gives codes as P2227 & P0107. I have cleaned both MAF & Map sensors, removed EGR blanking plate with 8mm hole in it, and disconnected battery overnight. none of this has fixed the issue. Any ideas guys ?

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Re: Trouble codes - any ideas how to fix these?

Unread post by Shann Low » September 6th, 2015, 7:22 pm

P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor Low Input

B2227 Front Crash Sensor Driver Communications Fault

http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/wds20 ... 0codes.htm

Hope that helps.

Check your earth to the map sensor wires, a bad earth could drop the voltage. Some ECM's have a built in barometer and the MAP barometer is just a backup... not the primary ECM one (depending on make model) that could be throwing the fault.

Crash sensor, could be water?... Normally these are tamper proof but not water proof - get em wet and you in heap big trouble paleface!. :lol: Latest Ford Rangers (2015) if the crash sensor trips, in the diesels it shuts off the engine fuel pump coz you don't want diesel getting pumped out if your in a crash... but the sensor ALSO reports your location and 'crash' to local Police automatically! :eek:

Yep - so a wet sensor can have the plods attending you stuck on the side of the road with no operational fuel pump.. and no actual 'crash'. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the world of new technology - what could possibly go wrong! :lol:

Leathertechs
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Leathertechs » September 6th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Thanks Shann, can you suggest where to look for a bad earth. And the other code is P2227 not B2227.

Leathertechs
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Leathertechs » September 6th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Also thanks for the link to the codes, I have saved to desktop.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 7th, 2015, 1:08 am

I meant P not B - Phat Phingers, and blind as a bat! :redface: :rolleyes:
I have no idea where that map sensor wire earths - you'd need a wiring loom diagram to find out most likely!
Unless you can test various parts electrically - you basically have to throw parts at it till you jag the right one unfortunately.
Wish i could be more help than that!
With the stumble- isn't there a IDM (injector drive module) up under the battery tray?.. Have you had water and mud up in there per chance? Maybe check the harness plug... pull it apart clean lube and re - connect as a suggestion for the stumble.

P2227 Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance

Baro Pressure seems to be the common denominator doesn't it.

BUT

Is it the backup one in your Map sensor, or is it the one in the main engine control computer?

I seem to recall the ECM is in a metal box under the passenger seat on the floor. You can unbolt it open the box and check / clean the main motherboard of you have too!.

Sounds scary but its all plug and play these days... Had a 2014 Ranger one apart a couple weeks back...cleaned dried and re assembled... but it had been underwater... muddy water, and was chockers with mud and wet as - and making all kinds of buzzing & clicking noises & throwing fault codes left and right.

Contact cleaner spray was a bit harsh and wanted to remove protective coverings (varnish?) from the mother board so ended up using WD 40, a tooth brush and compressed air... came up clean as a whistle, and works a treat again.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 7th, 2015, 10:21 am

Logic would suggest that a look for ANY wiring directly bolted to the body/chassis is going to be a neg line for the system. SO, looking for such terminations and cleaning them before reattaching may fix the problem. Done one by one you will know which one it was because the fault will disappear.

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » September 7th, 2015, 2:57 pm

Sensor earths always run to the ecm

Leathertechs
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Leathertechs » September 7th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Thanks guys I will try all the above and let you know the result.

Nickj2411
Here and there

Unread post by Nickj2411 » September 7th, 2015, 7:07 pm

There's an earth wire between the body and the chassis under the left hand rear passenger seat (under the car)
Might be worth a look.

Nick
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX auto. ARB winch bar, ARB canopy, Bighorns.

Leathertechs
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Leathertechs » September 8th, 2015, 3:39 pm

Today's update. Fitted a new MAP sensor, removed EGR blanking plate and a full auto trans service. Results were car ran great , no trouble codes however check engine light remained on. So last night disconnected the battery, re connected the battery this morning, still CEL on but no fault codes and engine has lost power again. ( limp mode ) so off to Ford doctor tomorrow to no diagnosed. Workshop bod said could be a faulty starter motor sending messages to ECU but strange to not show a code. Updates to.follow.

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 8th, 2015, 4:00 pm

As I understand this... fora MAP sensor to be able to know what mainfold pressure is happening, it first has to know what the ambient atmospheric pressure is!.

Your code says low Baro pressure:-
P2227 Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance
What this says to me is the Map sensor can't work properly coz the Baro sensor in the ECU in that metal box under the passenger seat, isn't sending the data for the atmospheric pressure correctly for the Map sensor reading to be added too or deducted from to work out what the pressure inside the manifold really is.

I don't think there's a baro sensor in the Map sensor if that makes sense coz the Map sensor operates inside a manifold where there's always vacuum when the engines running so it would have no idea what changes in atmospheric / barometric pressure are outside of the engine intake, as the weather baro pressure changes, or the car climbs a mountain in altitude as but 2 examples.

For the ECM to be able to calculate the vacuum pressure, to tell the injectors etc how much fuel to inject and when in the timing cycle to inject it, it has to know both the outside atmospheric barometric pressure from a sensor and also the vacuum from the MAP sensor.

Changing the Map sensor won't alter the barometric pressure sensor... and its the baro pressure sensor that's giving the low readings!.

I have a hunch the baro pressure sensor is in that black ECM (Engine Control Module) metal box bolted to the floor under the passenger seat....

Here's a random out of left field thought tho!

COULD the baro sensor in the ECM under the seat be getting "tricked" by some artificial low pressure situation being unwittingly created inside the cab?

So driving at speed with a window (or sun roof) cracked open and creating an artificially low pressure cell situation inside the cabin where the baro sensor is situated?

Or

There is some kind of cabin pressure equalization rubber flap things inside one or two of the vents in the rear of the cabin from memory - that are s'posed to equalize cabin pressure to atmosphere without letting water / rain in.

You haven't run accessory wires thru one or both of those rubber flap vents to get power to the tub in the back for a fridge / reverse camera etc etc - and created a situation where the drag creates a constant low pressure cell in the cabin with the widows up in winter?

Could be something as simple as that... MAYBE?

Just thinking outside the box here.

I stripped out the entire interior of a 2014 Ford ranger (sister car) a month or so back... I seem to recall some vents/flaps at the rear of the cab when i had the seats and trim and floor coverings etc out....

Figured it's worth asking.

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » September 8th, 2015, 4:52 pm

If people don't KNOW then they should say "I think".
There is not an ecu with a barometric pressure under the passenger seat.
Clean your car properly and this is f'ing obvious.
The baro sensor is in the ecm. NOT under the pass seat.
It's a fundamental military instruction " if you don't know, don't guess".
People on forums NEED to apply this. If you don't know say " I think ".

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 8th, 2015, 5:35 pm

My 2011 PK Ranger
The 2014 Ranger I stripped out a month or so back had the ECM module under the passenger seat - I unbolted it - took it out and cleaned dried it and put it back - it had been under water.

If you know better, then advise the guy - otherwise... ;)

desertfrog
Here and there

Unread post by desertfrog » September 8th, 2015, 6:28 pm

2014 is COMPLETElY differently car.
Don't send people in a wild goose chase

Shann Low
Avid Poster

Unread post by Shann Low » September 8th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Possibly so but you haven't suggested anything for him to try - just criticized someone else who is trying to assist. That frequently doesn't wash well here. :)

Pony up with the solution Einstein!.

I can only advise what have had experience with, which in the absence of any 'inspired genius' from the likes of yourself, might be better than nothing. :rolleyes:

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”