Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

wan_96e
Getting to know the place

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas

Unread post by wan_96e » February 21st, 2014, 5:10 am

This has just starting happening to me in las few months.
1st time only for 10min while driving. And again monday morning. Stopped after I restarting the car then again on the way home from work. But lasted for 45min this time. Pulled over to tru and resolve the problem when remembering seeing something on here about this problem. Played around around with relay. Under the transfercase for and thing that is not right but didnt stop. Reset the computer with torque app and restarted car and it went. Hasnt come on since. I have a few spot lights but that's pretty much it with after mods. I didnt think it might be after I use the 4wd drive because I did use it on sunday. But why would speedo be out. And low range will not activate unless in neutral.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » February 25th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Hi all...
Some more info for those of you still having ongoing issues with the 4x4 system in your Auto’s. I haven’t had any issues since my last post, but was able to reproduce the problem by disconnecting the electrical harness to the speed sensor (located on the transfer case) thereby bringing on the 4x4 / 4x4Low lights & reduced speedo reading.

So for anybody who still has their lights stuck on, manipulate that harness & make sure there is a proper connection to eliminate that possibility first. If the lights are still on, my guess now is it’s either the speed sensor or the associated clutch coil (seems to correct itself sometimes when you get up to about 80-90KMH).

The good news is I have found that you can use the onboard diagnostics to indicate exactly what the trouble is... I have posted some photos of the relevant sections from the service manual that explains the process... You can either take these to your auto electrician or do the test yourself... Very quick & easy. Just a matter of using a test light between positive battery terminal & a point located in the DLC (Location in picture)... That will give you a series of short & long flashes (like morse code) to indicate where the problem is.

You may initially get one flash followed by a 3second delay, then the code. You will then get another 3 second delay & the code repeats. This will happen a total of three times. Then if there is another code stored in memory that will display three times & so on.

May be an idea to clear the codes altogether to begin with (as per instructions in the photo below). Then start her up & run for a minute. Turn off & follow the procedure to see what code is stored.

Codes are:-

Short, short, long = 4x4 CM malfunction
Short, long, short = Motor component (shift motor) malfunction
Short, long, long = Clutch coil malfunction
Long, short, short = Speed sensor malfunction
Long, short, long = Solenoid valve malfunction
Long, long, short = 4x4 switch malfunction
Long, long, long = Motor component (position sensor) malfunction..
P1ed.jpg
P2ed.jpg
Hope this helps

Cheers
Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » March 9th, 2014, 9:26 am

G/day all

no posts from any one all must be o.k mine as been fine
cheers
steve

BFT RANGER
Need to get out more

Unread post by BFT RANGER » March 9th, 2014, 10:50 am

great bit of Info Fleetwood. TFS.
Tuned by CRISPMODS

http://www.crosscountry4wd.com/

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ranger-BT50-owners/243230605704611

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » March 15th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Thanks BFT..

Well, had the dreaded lights come on again yesterday. First time it's happened by itself for a while so finally had a chance to see what fault code was stored..

Mine was a short, long, long flash which indicates a Clutch coil malfunction.... Again taking it up to about 80-90KMH for a while cleared it & it hasn't returned... In my case I'm thinking it may just be a bit of crap in the oil accumulating around the coil or & or sped sensor occasionally.. Perhaps getting up some speed dislodges it ??

Anybody else got any feedback on codes that have been stored?

Cheers
Rob

wainger

Unread post by wainger » August 4th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Hi
Had the dreaded problem for 2 years, initially thought relay change worked but light back on .Did diagnostic test today and got 3 long flashes ,can anyone explain what this means and how to fix? Regards Wainger

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » August 4th, 2014, 6:36 pm

fleetwood
If a fast run seems to clear it, the problem may be the rotation sensor if it is magnetic coil type. The fuzz which collects would be likely to say there when slower but hot fast run may wash the build up of metallic fuzz away and it begins to work again.

The fuzz will make the sensor not switch ie sense what it is there for ie gear teeth or notched ring etc.

Is the sensor removable and cleanable?

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » August 5th, 2014, 10:57 pm

wainger
3 long flashes indicates a malfunction in the position sensor (part of the shift motor attached to the rear of your transfer case). I recommend clearing all codes & running the diag again just to confirm you are getting the 3 long flashes...

If you have a service manual, you will find a description of it's operation in Volume 1> description & operation> section 3> part 16.

In Volume 1> Service procedures> Section 3> Part 16, you will find removal & testing procedures.... If it's faulty, you may be up for a new shift motor.

If you don't have a manual, this link should help > http://the.internetissrs.biz/ranger/

Hi mydmax....

Yes this is exactly the conclusion I have come to in my case.... Fairly straight forward to remove & clean

Cheers
Rob

wainger

Unread post by wainger » August 6th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Thanks Rob
Will clear codes + run again
Checked out manual ,looks pretty complicated .
Ford dealership here in Townsville have been no help suggesting replacement of 4WD control module for $1800.
My Ranger is 2008 80K Km and I am very happy with it otherwise. My only issue is when light stays on I cant engage 4WD Which is a pain because I do lots of 4Wheel driving and tow on dirt roads, your tip re the relay is great as I can now usually to get light to go off when I need to rather than waiting for it to clear itself
Cheers Andrew

Kylie Rhodes
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Kylie Rhodes » September 7th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Have 2010 ford ranger XLT with same issue for around 12 months...mainly occurs in the cooler months...Lights come on randomly without a selection made...4x4 will also not engage..got bogged 6 months ago and from memory (sometimes very poor!!) only left wheel spun... so not only your lights come...that's not a huge issue but an indication of maybe the same issue of having no 4x4 when you really need it...

Harrydiculous
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Harrydiculous » September 28th, 2014, 11:23 am

I *was* about to report a success with this problem by :-

-Changing battery. (It was about to fail)
-Changing Alternator. (Crook Diode/s)

My lack of confidence was rewarded by the light coming back on. Same symptoms as reported above.

I took it to the local Ford dealer who, last Thursday week, downloaded two upgrades and sent me away with the truck performing better than it ever has and no light on until two days later. I took it back and they said that the aftermarket Cruise Control was showing both "Not Fitted" & "Fitted" at the same time. No other faults recorded. I asked if they could perform the test as Fleetwood suggested but there was no interest.

I have now printed out Fleetwood's manual & his text + Dave1tech's post. (Thanks Guys) & will take it to my regular Mechanic who will actually talk to me rather than via a go-between.

And I will report. It may be a few weeks though.

dave1tech
Here and there

Unread post by dave1tech » October 8th, 2014, 6:47 pm

well the problem is back, everytime the vehicle is started i have the dreaded 4wd lights come on sometimes for a min other times until i make it up to speed and it drops out,

have done the diagnostic test and have come up with the 3 long flashes indicating motor component position sensor error, i have put the ute up on ramps and run through all the described procedures in the manual stopping short of replacing the motor sensor.

no issues were found no shorts to found etc so it looks like i am up for replacing the motor component sensor and hoping for the best. hopefully this will resolve the issue if not then it is onto the replacement of the 4wd module. i am dreading calling mazda parts for the price of the unit :(

will let everyone know how i go.

cheers
Dave

drodda

Unread post by drodda » October 14th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I have the dreaded problem too. It has been happening intermitted since I bought the car 6 months ago and is getting more common. The diagnostic light gives me 3 long flashes - motor sensor. I will do the short/open circuit check this weekend.

Has anybody actually solved it? If it comes to replacing the shift motor, an idea of cost or a part number to look up?

Thanks fleetwood and mamoth for all your diagnosis.

David

drodda

Unread post by drodda » October 19th, 2014, 6:09 pm

I did a little bit more investigation:

The wiring harness seemed fine - no short or open circuit. I also checked the motor position sensor with a multimeter, and where the manual says there should be "continuity" between some pins at diferent positions I was getting ~200 ohm resistance. I called Ford to ask about a replacement, but at $1600 I thought I might try to fix mine. Part # u502179a0 if anybody wants to spend some serious money!

I removed my shift motor and pulled it apart. There seemed to be some dirt in there, so I cleaned the gears, as well as the motor brushes and commutator. Unfortunately the motor position sensor is a sealed unit so I was unable to clean the contacts, but turning the sensor through several full revolutions seemed to fix it – I now get <1 ohm between position sensor pins. Connected it up and it seemed to work, so I bolted it all back together. The shift motor has a silicone gasket on it, and mine obviously wasn’t good, so have some Gasket Maker handy if you plan on removing the shift motor.

I tested mine every time I drove this weekend and it seems to work – transfer case engages and no error light. If it stays good then problem solved, if not then at east I know what the problem is, even if it is an expensive fix.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » October 20th, 2014, 8:03 am

Hey drodda... Thanks for the feedback mate, great bit of info there for those showing a position sensor malfunction on the diagnostic... Definitely worth pulling it out & having a go.

Cheers
Rob

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”