Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

mamoth
Here and there

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas

Unread post by mamoth » January 11th, 2014, 10:14 am

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6601_n.jpg
check this pic out
i just cant get the plug off

steve
s elsworth

Out and about
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Out and about » January 11th, 2014, 10:52 am

I took the Ranger into the dealer yesterday and this is what happened……

I was driving into town, (60kms away from home) and as I stopped at the first intersection in town the 4x4 4L light decides to go off and the speedo returns to normal.....about 5 minutes from the dealership. SO I take it to them and explain the whole thing and they said they’ve seen a few of Rangers with this problem before, and left it with them.

7 hours later and lots of mindless wandering around town, they called me to say it was ready for collection. I go and pick it up and the mechanic tells me that he couldn’t find any faults at all. The bonus was that he didn’t charge me because he didn’t fix anything, but wanted me to bring it back if it happens again. He said that he’s had a few come in with the same problem, but could find the fault, like the actuator, selector switch, solenoids or after market electrics being fitted and interfering with the computer. He was scratching his head about it, as was I….. So I drive home happy, but perplexed.

I get home and park the Ranger for a few hours, then get in it and reverse to the shed about 25m away to chuck on a water tank to fill. I turned the Ranger off and do what I needed to and then I go to start it up when I see the dreaded 4L 4x4 lights illuminated and stay on again. After saying a few choice words and scarring the dogs, I didn’t start it , but go out and walked away, leaving it there for the night.

This morning I started it up and held my breath…..lights were off again and are still off now, even after using 4WD a few times around the property today.

I have no idea what is going on but hope it won’t happen again, but it probably will. :crazy:

Regards,
KC

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 11th, 2014, 11:46 am

hi kc
mate i feel your pain after stuffing around with mine all holls. after playing with the actuator/solenoid yesterday
i jumped in mine just before and went to the shops while parking i noticed it had jumped into 4x4 while turning .when i got back and started it no lights every thing back to norm :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: so now i am pretty sure that is where the prob
is
cheers

steve
:truck: :truck:
s elsworth

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 12th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Hey KC... Thanks for the update

Bloody frustrating aint it, almost seems like there's a gremlin in the system who just enjoys messing with you :twisted:

I had mine at a dealer when the lights were on & they still had no idea what was causing it. Keep us updated.

So far mine has only resurfaced a couple of times in the last 2 weeks & I have manged to restart it without the lights coming on by flicking the 4x4 relay with ignition off. Maybe we have the same problem but different causes, frankly I'm stuffed if I know :confused:

Cheers
Rob

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 17th, 2014, 4:14 pm

g/day again chaps just got the 4x4 light ***** sorted and now this
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9811_n.jpg
the egr intercooler ***** itself today both brackets the weld as faild and come apart only 14 month old OE part too.
not happy
:mad: :urgh: :irked:
mamoth
s elsworth

dave1tech
Here and there

Unread post by dave1tech » January 22nd, 2014, 11:37 am

So this is happening every time i put the BT50 into 4wd switches straight over to 4L light speedo is not showing actual speed not to mention the fact that the odometer doesn't actually display the correct distance traveled.

very disconcerting after driving an hour or so to switch over to 4H and the system switch to 4L but not actually engage at all.

have tried the 4x4 relay trick of flicking it and pulling it out completely and re seating it nothing works.
the only way to get it to come out of the 4L setting (dash light speedo etc) is to rev it out at speed on the black top this seems to reset the switch. still doesn't help that you cant actually use the 4wd for what you want.

has anyone else found any other solutions?

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 22nd, 2014, 5:10 pm

g/day dave
is yours auto or man
steve
s elsworth

dave1tech
Here and there

Unread post by dave1tech » January 23rd, 2014, 11:30 am

Hi Steve like everyone else mine is an auto lol i started the other thread in regards to this issue. im just glad to know that im not the only one out there that is having this issue.

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 23rd, 2014, 3:12 pm

hi dave
your not wrong it is a wonder a recall has not been put out, every one you talk to has had the same prob
pretty sure the prob lays at the front end with the actuator set up see the pic at the top of this page
cheers
steve
s elsworth

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 23rd, 2014, 6:52 pm

Hi dave... Mine seemed to only happen on start up, if the lights didn't come on then it wasn't a prob. Only have ever come on for me once when I selected 4H whilst driving... Sure would be nice to establish what the cause is for certain...

Hey mammoth.... What did you do to your RFW actuator exactly?

Cheers
Rob

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 23rd, 2014, 7:34 pm

By the nature of what is happening it would seem to be the result of a poor earth tag for some part of the system where it sometimes touches and then doesn't. Because it also has affected the speedo on some vehicles it would appear to be dash earth related. Perhaps the same thing is not assembled properly and it is used in both Mazda and Ford.
I would ferret around and find all the earth tags possible and make sure they are earthed. Just because they look clean does not mean a thing, only if they are actually touching PERMANENTLY are they doing their job.

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 24th, 2014, 1:12 pm

G/day Rob
exactly not much i tried to remove that green wire gave it a bit of a twist and the light went out
still will not engage 4x4, prob still on going

steve
s elsworth

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 25th, 2014, 10:25 am

G/day again
Work this out after driving in the heavy rain yesterday got home thought i would
try 4x4 out every thing works perfect ??? makes mydmax,s report sound likely prob got some dirty
water in between the earth connections time to get the wiring diagram out and have a check

cheers

steve
s elsworth

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 25th, 2014, 6:24 pm

I spent most of a whole day looking at wiring diagrams & checking earth points where I could. Didn't fix the prob for me. Maybe you'll have better luck.. I can't see how getting dirt on any contacts around the RFW switch (if that's where you mean?) or manipulating those wires could do anything as they aren't plugged into anything on the autos... check it out

Cheers
Rob

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 26th, 2014, 8:06 am

G/day Rob
i am pretty sure that green wire on the actuator goes to the blue connector on one of the two
solenoids next to the break booster

steve
s elsworth

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”