Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

fleetwood
Been here a while

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas

Unread post by fleetwood » December 31st, 2013, 10:27 pm

Hi runsonrum...
I initially thought it may have been a solenoid problem as well. Replaced them both but didn't fix the problem... Since discovered that the two solenoids near the brake booster only lock & unlock the free wheel mechanism in the front diff (automatically switched in the auto when you select 4x4). They don't seem to have anything to do with the transfer case..

In my case the 4x4 & 4WDL lights would remain on quite randomly after starting . Sometimes would go for weeks without issue then may happen 3 or 4 times in a week. They would usually go out after a short time so I wasn't too concerned. Then one day they just stayed on.

I don't know exactly what part the 4x4 relay plays, but after having resolved the prob about a dozen times now by giving it a bit of a prod, I'm convinced that is the source of the issue. Just glad I discovered it before having to leave it to the dealer.

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 1st, 2014, 2:15 pm

g/day
the 2 solenoids white and blue are they suppose to have power going to each of them
i dont seem to have any power going to the blue one when i connect the white one to both
solenoids both are sucking air :crazy:
s elsworth

runsonrum
Been here a while

Unread post by runsonrum » January 5th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Thanks fleetwood. I havent had the problem come up again, even used 4l at the weekend. Great info for future reference should this happen again.

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 6th, 2014, 2:40 pm

just put a new 4x4 relay in still the same
s elsworth

Out and about
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Out and about » January 8th, 2014, 5:38 am

Can anyone kindly tell me exactly where the 4X4 relay is located?! I too have the same problem with the 4L and 4X4 lights remaining on and the speedo slow. It has never happened before, it usually just randomly blinks when I start it up or when driving. I would like to fix the problem myself if I can, instead of taking it elsewhere.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 8th, 2014, 7:26 am

It's located under the drivers side dash... I put up some phtos in the thread below..
'
viewtopic.php?f=118&t=146074&start=15

Seemed to have fixed the problem for me.. hope it does for you too

Cheers
Rob

Out and about
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Out and about » January 8th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply fleetwood, the link was very helpful and I found the relay no problem.
I disconnected it, reconnected it and gave it a prod, but the 4L and 4x4 lights still remain on. I done this a few times and I also checked the solenoids, but they seem to be working fine.
So it's booked in for Friday at the local Ford dealer, they said the wanted it all day....hope that doesnt mean lots of $$$$. Thanks again for the info, it was worth a try!

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 8th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Sorry to hear it didn't fix the problem for you... Starting to wonder if it is the relay after all or perhaps just a coincidence. Mind you, I resolved the issue about a dozen times by giving the relay a good flick. That would be a lot of coincidences.

The dealer told me the same thing after no fault codes showed up. Bring it in for a day or two & we'll run some tests :petrified:

Would really appreciate if you could keep us updated on this thread on what the dealer finds.

Cheers
Rob

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 8th, 2014, 10:34 pm

i saw my local mech he recons to check the r f w switch down on the front axel next to the actuator
thats tomorrows job
s elsworth

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 8th, 2014, 11:09 pm

Hi mammoth... That's one of the things I checked out before the relay. If you have an auto, I'll think you'll find that the wires from the switch aren't actually plugged in to any connector. Mine was just bound up next to a loom. I looked everywhere for a connector but there was none.

I think it's because unlike a manual, the auto's don't have an on dash switch for the RFW ? :purplex:

Out and about
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Out and about » January 9th, 2014, 7:42 am

After reading your suggestion mamoth, I had a look at the r f w switch and, like fleetwood encountered, found that the wires from the switch are not connected. I searched for a connector, but to no avail. It's an auto too. I've also checked the selector switch but as far as I can see everythings fine, all plugs are connected and neat.
Perhaps it may be a problem with the solenoids because when you change the selector switch you don't hear the normal 'clicking' sound...I did disconnect them, but nothing changed, lights were still on. :confused:

Will let you know how I go at the dealers, that's if I don't figure it out before then...

KC

deroman50
Getting to know the place

Unread post by deroman50 » January 9th, 2014, 9:20 am

Hi Guys.

I just happened to check this forum today after quite a while away and noticed this thread at the top of the list.

Good luck with the dealer today KC.

I'm lucky I guess in that the 4x4 & 4L lights started playing up on my Ranger Auto just after I took it for a test drive while it was still in the care of the dealer after I paid a deposit for the ute. The dealer sent it to his mechanic because I mentioned that the transmission seemed a bit noisy in 4WD. The lights started playing up when the mechanic had it.

Long story short, the dealer's mechanic took the ute to Thompson's Ford at Parramatta who diagnosed that the shift actuator on the transfer case was not working properly. A second hand unit was fitted at the dealer's cost of $1,217.48 plus labour of $500. Total $1,890. That and the new battery he fitted would have put a hole in any profit he made. I must say that the dealer was a very honourable young man and I'd happily deal with him if he ever had a vehicle that I needed.

The notes in the Thompson Ford invoice said - "Checked and found 4x4 light staying on dash. Carried out pin point test. Checked modules and wiring. Found 4WD actuator motor (shift actuator) not responding. Checked and found power to it. Supplied and fitted new shift actuator. Reprogrammed to vehicle. Cleared fault codes. Tested OK."

I haven't had any problem with any part of the 4WD system in the 10 months and 25,000 ks that I've had the vehicle although I don't think I've ever had it in low 4WD.

Regards

Ian

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » January 10th, 2014, 9:53 am

Hi Ian, thanks for sharing your experience with this.. That car dealer was a good find.

I'm hoping this problem doesn't involve the transfer actuator as did yours. Was the speedo affected in your case, like showing 25 when you were actually doing about 60...

Cheers
Rob

deroman50
Getting to know the place

Unread post by deroman50 » January 10th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Hi Rob.

Don't know if the speedo was affected as I didn't drive the ute at any time the lights were being displayed. It was in the care of the dealer's mechanic when the problem showed up. By the time I got the ute, the problem was fixed and hasn't reappeared.

Regards

Ian

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » January 11th, 2014, 9:57 am

hi ian
mine is auto and has two wires coming out of one point these are
were chris-stofa said to wind them in and out

steve
s elsworth

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”