Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 5th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Yeah mate, I'm POSITIVE this is going to end up costing me a packet !! :D
Nah, I'm looking at it in a good way, feel I will get to it sooner or later.
If it is a module, there're a few around the wreckers, might try a 2nd handy, as new I can score for just over $1200 oem, but maybe if I do need this, a used one will be ok, and have a warranty for a month at least (will ask for a bit more than that as it's a fairly dear item no doubt).

Harrydiculous
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Harrydiculous » June 9th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Mine has been tolerable for about 12 months with only the rare appearance, however, on Friday, it came on & stayed on. (The 4WD indicator, no speedo, no selection option).
To cut a long story short, I printed out your Post, Fleetwood, & took it to my mechanic, who, in <1 min made the adjustment and the light went out & all behaved correctly. So far today, all's good.

You need to be purchased vast quantities of the alcohol of your choice.

18 Months of frustration...time wasted taking it to the local dealer. They couldn't have cared less.

I wonder what my next Ford will be???

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » June 9th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback Harry. Yep, mine is still working perfectly since adjusting the plate as well. :woohoo:

The older shift motors on the explorers weren't adjustable like ours are. You had to pull it all apart. These are a one minute fix!!

Just a pity it seems nobody has bothered to tell the Ford dealerships about the potential of this problem occurring & that the position sensor plate on these newer shift motors have been made adjustable for a reason. All ford wanted to do was sell me thousands of $$$ worth of parts I didn't need.

Then again maybe they do know. I have heard of blokes forking out big $$$ for stuff, even getting there transfer boxes pulled apart & rebuilt :eek: ... Nice little earner I guess

Nickj2411
Here and there

Unread post by Nickj2411 » June 10th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Fleetwood

Back in Dec 2013 you mentioned about an update the dealer did to your auto. What improvements did you see?
Was it a freeby or pay for update?

Nick
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX auto. ARB winch bar, ARB canopy, Bighorns.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » June 10th, 2015, 11:48 pm

Hey Nick. Yeah it did seem to make a difference once the 4WD lights issue disappeared & shift patterns went back to 'normal' Still not the greatest though. I have gotten into the rabbit of just shifting it manually back to third when I do 90 degree turns into streets, & then shifting back into D when I'm accelerating.

I did get it for free, but the guy had the laptop all plugged in checking for codes at the time, told me about it & asked if I wanted it. He was thinking it might help resolve the problem of the 4WD lights & speedo issue I was having at the time. It didn't. Only took about 5 mins... Don't even know the name of the update sorry.

I have a feeling if you were to ask specifically about it they would want to charge you something but worth asking I guess

Cheers
Rob

Nickj2411
Here and there

Unread post by Nickj2411 » June 11th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Thanks mate
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX auto. ARB winch bar, ARB canopy, Bighorns.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » August 30th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Thought I'd update this, and cover what mine was doing, and now it is FINALLY RESOLVED !! :)

I reckon I can remember the first time the 4WD selection gave me an issue, it didn't want to go into or out of 4WD low range easily this time at Bendelby property in SA.
Anyhow, a little jiggling of things, sometimes going back a bit, the issue would sort out ok, and I just put it down to temperament of the system.

Gradually, things got worse, until one trip to QLD was up at Mt Mee doing a weekender with a brother, and after going up a nice little low range 4WD track that turned dead end, I returned to the main bitumen road to proceed further for main park access, and tried getting it back into 2H.
No way was it behaving, in fact it was pretty scary being so far from home.
It still showed 4L even after dong the transfer by the book from 4L to 4H stopped in neutral, nothing I tried enabled it to come out, pointing it uphill, downhill, forward, reverse a bit and try again.
Stopped vehicle and turned off in 4H hoping to reset the system, this has worked on numerous occasions.
Not this time.

You can have 4L light and 4WD symbol both showing on the dash lights, and it can be in 2H, and the speedo is all mucked up, showing lower speed you'd normally be doing in 4L, but you're doing at least double the speed.
That's a dead giveaway for this issue.

So I start asking around, and seems it's a fairly common thing, the 4WD Action forum here showed it as reasonably common problem, and some of the things people have tried to fix it, mostly without success or not long term.
One such fix is on the transfer case (TC) 4WD module / actuator.
There's a little plate with T10 screws, and it looks adjustable, this is it . . .

http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?att ... jpg.32189/

This is actually on the back of the TC 4WD module, and tweaking it seems to have an effect, at least short term (so might get you out of a situation if it ever happens to you).

Alas the problems kept progressively getting worse, a Simpson Geo Centre trip passed by with a few hiccups but got through, luckily a second one in July too and Red Centre.
However, it was a lot worse, and let me down a couple of times when I REALLY needed to get in / out of 2H / 4H, but managed in 2WD to get past some soft stuff etc a couple of times.

So, I'd investigated this a bit more before going on that trip.
New module (my trade price) $1200, ONE second hand one at a wrecker in Tassie, $440.
A bit of a risk, as electrical parts not returnable !!
The wreckers did say that this part is a reasonably common failure, hence there was only one found anywhere !!
Oh, the auto and manual are different too.

Ok so Border Track a couple of weekends ago, it was a PITA to get from 2H to 4H this time, took 15 mins of BS'ing around . . . AND I woke up at Red Bluff and 4L lights are on, even though I left it in 4H when I pulled up.
Uh-oh.

Yep, was showing 4L but really in 2H.
Loads of backing / forwarding, stopping and turning off ignition, FINALLY the 4WD lights are out !! :)
Was going to go down the track a bit to the big dunes, but when the switch turned into 4H nothing, VERY unusual as it normally comes up 4H, and you know if this stays it is ok, OR the blasted 4L symbol comes on and you then know you're still 2H.

So, whatever it is it has **** itself.
At last.

So, order the second hand module, less than 24hrs it's at wreckers here form Tassie, and picked it up.
Fitted today, and IT ALL BEHAVES AS IT SHOULD :) :D

Still got to go field test the whole shebang this arvo, but 99.999% sure this is totally FIXED !!!

So this is it, and hopefully you never need one . . .

http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?att ... jpg.32190/

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » August 30th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Geez Les, you've had a **** of a time... Sounds like you've had a couple of issues there affecting the 4WD system simultaneously...

Luckily mine has been as good as gold since adjusting the position sensor plate on back of shift motor.. Hate to have to fork out for a 4WD module. Fingers crossed that it's all finally sorted for you.

Cheers
Rob

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » August 30th, 2015, 9:21 pm

G'day Rob, all this was related to the module I am sure, it just did those odd things at various inconvenient moments :rolleyes:
Yeah, did a little more driving early this evening and it's as good as new it seems.
If the plate adjustment works for you that's great, I think mine was past that stage . . . if that doesn't work long term, think it's pretty safe to say the module replacement is the go to sort it out for good.
Hoping that the odd ones new are lemons, and this 2nd hand unit form a PJ (2007) will last it out.
I have the old one tucked away, will open it up a bit and clean it up one day and who knows, maybe it'll come good.

drodda
Getting to know the place

Unread post by drodda » September 15th, 2015, 6:02 pm

I had the light come on again yesterday. It had been months since it last appeared - but I didn't have a torx with me so I couldn't adjust the sensor then and there!
I unplugged the module and drove it home (so the speedo would work), and by the time I got home and plugged it in again the light had gone off. Adjusted it anyway - turned it counter-clockwise a bit. What direction have you guys been turning to fix yours?

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » September 15th, 2015, 6:37 pm

G/day all
i have not had any probs since i did my quick fix
drodda all i did was loosen the screws give it a quick back and forth a few times did not even mark origional spot
i think that was just enough to give the contacts a bit of a scrape
cheers
steve
s elsworth

drodda

Unread post by drodda » September 18th, 2015, 8:47 pm

I went months with no 4WD light problem - but after a couple of days it came back again. This time I had a T15 with me - so I turned loosened it, turned it full counter clockwise, and the light has gone off. I am not sure if it is simply moving it, or actually changing positions, or if I too have a problem module.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » September 22nd, 2015, 7:54 am

Sorry been working away, missed recent posts.
drodda is yours giving the same issues with 4wd lights being on whilst it is really still in 2wd ?
Or is it had to get it in / out of 4L etc like some of my problems in post 1 ?

If so, most likely the module, keep trying the quick adjustment as needed, seems to be an option to get you out of strife.
But if it deteriorates, maybe put feelers out for a second hand module, citing auto or manual.
Might take a while for one to come up.
If I get a chance over xmas / new year, I'll take the old one of mine apart and see if I can fix it.
If so will post up how etc.

drodda

Unread post by drodda » September 22nd, 2015, 2:49 pm

Yeah mine is the same - in 2WD but shows the 4WD and LO lights occasionally, and gives the shift motor position sensor error when probed.
I'm looking into a replacement module - I am not sure if I should pull mine apart to look for dry joints or get a working replacement first.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » September 22nd, 2015, 3:58 pm

Sounds like it's going to be a module mate, eventually at least as if probably gets more difficult.
Is yours an auto or manual ?
Pretty sure the manual module is fairly common, while the auto in hard to find.
Not sure if this might even be a problem more (or totally ?) assaociated with auto trans transfer case module.
My trade price on the new genuine Ford part was ~ $1200 !!

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”