Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas?

fleetwood
Been here a while

Re: Wierd goings on... 4x4 & 4L lights staying on! Any ideas

Unread post by fleetwood » May 31st, 2015, 10:35 am

Hey mate. Thanks for your feedback.

Stoked that this has worked for you as well. I have also put up a post on the Ranger PJ/PK Facebook page & waiting on peop0les feedback from there.. If I have a few guys confirming this works, then I will feel confidant that I have finally found a permanent fix for this bloody issue.

Can't tell you how frustrating this has been since It first appeared 18 mths ago. I have had to give up doing some 4x4 tracks on arrival because of this, absolutely maddening :urgh: Ford dealerships were absolutely clueless & remain that way. They wanted to sell me 4x4 control modules for about $1,500 or new shift motors for about the same. Had nothing else to offer!

Who'd have thought it has turned out to be a 5 minute fix with a screwdriver that costs bugger all :lol:

Cheers
Rob

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 31st, 2015, 11:51 am

If moving the plate a small amount restores the original function, it would indicate there is some crap on the internal contacts.
Maybe, removing the plate and cleaning the contacts and rotary plate fingers, then add some white lithium grease, may keep it all functional into the future and not give any more trouble.

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » May 31st, 2015, 12:39 pm

Maybe a loosen off and sensor clean spray ??
Not sure about greasing it, but after re-tensioning, maybe a skim around the edge will help keep water / dust out ?

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » May 31st, 2015, 1:04 pm

Hey mydmax. It's a sealed unit so you can't get to the contacts. They don't get dirty cause it's sealed, the problem is that the position sensor moves over time. I believe that's why that plate has been made adjustable. An improvement over the old setup in the explorers.

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » May 31st, 2015, 1:48 pm

hey rob it would not take much 4 a stick or something else to give it a knock either, mine ounce the nuts were loose moved pretty easy
by the way your 5th beer tastes great
steve
s elsworth

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » May 31st, 2015, 1:52 pm

Haha. Glad your enjoying those beers. Yeah the screws on mine weren't real tight either.

drodda
Getting to know the place

Unread post by drodda » May 31st, 2015, 3:50 pm

fleetwood wrote: For anybody that does still have the problem, try this.... Loosen (DO NOT REMOVE) the three screws on the shift motor position sensor plate ( see pics), then swivel that plate a little & retighten.
Hey Rob
That was going to be the next thing I tried! Has that solved it for you? Mine is so intermittent that it is hard to tell when I have done something that works, or if the problem has gone away on its own, only to come back again a couple of months later.

I'll give it a try next time mine comes on.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » May 31st, 2015, 4:21 pm

Hi drodda. Yeah mine has worked perfectly since doing this. Mine was intermittent as well. Usually when I really needed it most (Murphy's law haha ).

So now looking to spread the word so that people can try this next time the problem shows up. Feeling confident that if it's a position sensor fault, which it mostly seems to be, this will be a final fix.

Be bloody nice to have confidence restored that when you go to select 4WD, it's actually going to work! :D

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 2nd, 2015, 6:16 pm

Ok fleetwood, I might just also add 'you bloody legend' as I did this today and it appears to have fixed the issue !!
Haven't pick up that $50 console switch yet either, so that may well be staying with the dealer.

Found the screws over to one side of the slots, all screws were tight.
Got the T-15 bit and loosened off the 3 screws, turned to about the middle of the slot adjustment.
Tightened up screws (on the last one the tip of the T-15 snapped off, so watch that).

See pics below of where these settings were.

Ok, so I went down to a gravel carpark a few ks from home, and flipped from 2H to 4H while stationary in D.
Hmmm, same old thing, 4H came on, but then 4L came on too, even though in 4H !!
Was a bit worried then, but persevered to give it some more trials.

So, usual thing, switch to 2H and doesn't go out, so into P and turn off, leave a minute, and restart.
All normal again in 2H.
So I drive off in 2H, flick to 4H doing about 20k and goes into 4H no probs, and no follow on 4L, yay :)

Ok, test 4L, stopped in N, all good changes as it should.
Again stopped in N turned it back to 4H and there it goes, good as gold :) :)

Did this a few more times and all seems ok, expect it had to maybe settle in or reset or something ?

Will give it a darn good going tomorrow down in another paddock somewhere, see if it stays good.

Here are some pics or the adjustment done . . . before and after . . .

Before
1-4wdModuleB4.jpg
After
2-4wdModuleAFTER.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fleetwood
Been here a while

Unread post by fleetwood » June 2nd, 2015, 7:56 pm

Hey Les... Glad it seems to have worked for you. I chuck mine into 4H on the fly about 3 or 4 times day now just to check. It's worked faultlessly ever since I did this to mine. Same with 4L. Bloody stoked :woohoo:

I you do still have problems, it may be some other cause. Have a look at doing the diagnostic & checking for stored codes as I explained a few pages back. If it's the shift motor position sensor, (3 long flashes), then I'm almost 100% confident this fix will sort it for good.

Cheers
Rob

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » June 2nd, 2015, 8:02 pm

Happy days Les
thats 2 for the legend :lol: :lol:
:fish: :fish: :fish: ing days ahead
cheers steve
s elsworth

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » June 2nd, 2015, 8:08 pm

Hey Rob
I did the diagnostic test again once it all went back to good
no fault code thrown,cheering
steve
s elsworth

drodda
Getting to know the place

Unread post by drodda » June 5th, 2015, 8:57 am

Thanks for the info and the photos - I will try mine this weekend. So counter-clockwise is the way to go?

I had that part off when I was cleaning mine, but I marked the angle and made sure I put it back on in exactly the same way I took it off - I should have been less careful and just centered it!

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » June 5th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Mine's still giving probs, but less frequently now.
Should have replacement T15 today ,so will adjust back a bit and try, if still not perfect will go a little past half way and see.
I have a horrible feeling it might be module, but won't give up hope just yet :)

mamoth
Here and there

Unread post by mamoth » June 5th, 2015, 3:29 pm

;) think positive les it is a long w/end :) :)
s elsworth

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”