09 BT-50 Auto Shift Pattern

Motorm4x891
Here and there

09 BT-50 Auto Shift Pattern

Unread post by Motorm4x891 » March 6th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Hi all,

Had this concern for sometime and though I would ask here for anyone's wealth of knowledge.

My concern is with the Auto Transmission.

1st being that when I first take the truck out for the day (be first thing in the morning, middle of the day, night, rain or shine) until the engine is up to normal running temp the gear box flares between 2nd and 3rd; best way to describe it is it would seem like it has "put the clutch in then it drops into third"- it's only like a split second if that, but once everything is up to operating temp it doesn't flare in the gears again... but

2nd, Once I get going and the speed drops below 50km/h but still above 20km/h the truck want holds 4th gear, regardless of the surface grade, even when going up a hill, or with a trailer or caravan on the back. The truck wants to hold this gear and will not shift down. It just feels like it's slipping on the torque converter (or acting like a CVT Gearbox), and if I give it some it will rev up to around 2,500-2,600 and it will sit there for a bit, sometimes the whole time accelerating and sometimes it will finally decide to drop back to the right gear for the job but most of the time I do that manually by putting the truck into 3rd on the shifter because most of the time I won't be getting anywhere or be picking up speed

Is this normal for a diesel and Auto box?? Could it just be the engine has too much torque for the converter or could their be something wrong with the shift patterns in the computer. This has been an issue since day one and I saw Mazda twice to see if it could be rectified under warranty? Mazda weren't really interested, and the 2nd time I saw them the warranty had ended a few months before and now Mazda tell me it could be a transmission issue and I might need a new box which will be out of my own wallet as it wasn't under warranty any more... I had to walk away...

So can anyone give me suggestion, I mean at this stage it really isn't bugging me too much but I want to know, could all this slipping and wear and tear on the torque converter and gear box come back to bite me if untouched? Sorry if this sounds dumb (I'm not that mechanically minded) but is it possible to go to a transmission shop and get the torque converter 'tightened' up so it doesn't slip and will then want to drop down soon? I have heard that adding a chip resets the shift patterns but I was only wanting to fix the transmission shifting, that's the only draw back, I mean you can really feel the truck wanting to pull away and go for it but the gear box just won't down shift right.

Sorry for that very long rant, Any feedback is much appreciated.

diemonty
Been here a while

Re: 09 BT-50 Auto Shift Pattern

Unread post by diemonty » March 7th, 2013, 4:58 am

Hi BT-5091
Sounds like you've been put in the "too hard basket" by the service depot.
My auto is nothing like that, if anything it can be rough changing into the next gear if I back off after accelerating.

Your only hope to get Mazda to honor this as a warranty claim is if the complaint you have was documented by the service depot whilst under warranty.

your gear selection works like this;
1st locks in 1st gear.
2nd locks in 2nd gear doesn't kick down, torque converter slips to make up difference between engine and wheel speed
3rd locks in 3rd gear doesn't kick down, torque converter slips to make up difference between engine and wheel speed
D drives as per program kicks down or holds as normal auto should
R self explained reverse

overdrive button right hand side of lever restricts drive from selecting 5th and changes the shift pattern slightly possibly better suited for towing.

Your accelerator position sensor has a lot to do with the autos behavior and I noticed there is a small switch on the accelerator pedal arm as well as the sensor, I'm not sure of it's job in the system.

Best off sticking to your guns and demanding Mazda fix it.
start by emailing your problems to head office etc. the more you make it their problem the better the chances of success.

cheers
Diemonty

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Unread post by fred99999au » March 7th, 2013, 7:04 am

Yes, if you have it documented as a problem while it was under warranty then they should fix it under warranty if they now discover that it is a crook box. If they argue, then mention the ACCC and if that doesent work, then go to the ACCC or Consumer affairs.

Motorm4x891
Here and there

Unread post by Motorm4x891 » March 7th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Hi Diemonty,

That's what I was afraid of, I was kinda hoping it was a generic problem with the autos. So how does yours go when you slow down like I said, like if the speed drops below 50km/h and is above 20km/h the truck wants to hold 4th gear, regardless of surface grade, even when going up a hill, or with a trailer or caravan on the back the truck wants to hold this gear and will not shift down. It just feels like it's slipping on the torque converter (or acting like a CVT Gearbox) Do you have this issue or does your auto sorta lock into gear like a Manual does?

I just want an idea how yours handles before I take this up further with Mazda, and yes I do have emails of me contacting them regarding the issue while under warranty.

Thanks for any info!

diemonty
Been here a while

Unread post by diemonty » March 7th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Hi BT-5091

mine behaves like a normal auto when the speed drops and I accelerate she chooses the appropriate gear and goes.
the harder the acceleration the further down the gear change goes revs permitting of course.

But if I select 3rd there is no kick down in gears what so ever and the torque converter cops all the extra revs untill the speed of the car matches the 3rd gear.

the auto won't shift down gears unless you accelerate so when you coast along without acceleration it will stay in top or drop back to idle if under 80km/hr if the side button is switched to od off(light comes on the dash) it will hold in gear longer I think around 60 from memory, until it goes back to idle offering slightly more engine braking.

automatics generally don't offer much engine braking like a manual so you need to use the brakes more as a result.

If you are stopped select 1st start to drive as a manual so when you speed up select 2nd speed up some more select 3rd speed up some more then drop it into drive if you are doing about 80km/hr it should easily drop into 4th gear and even 5th when you reach 90km/hr plus providing you foot is not flat to the boards.

If you can prove the emails to them I feel you have hit pay dirt. :drink:
best of luck.
Diemonty

navara07
Been here a while

Unread post by navara07 » March 7th, 2013, 9:57 pm

From new mine does the same been to ford reflash ecu still there 40,000 on the clock now thought it was normal I know very fustration gear box. I will take it back to ford let them check it out again might even try a another auto for sale in car yard and test drive it see how it goes.

Motorm4x891
Here and there

Unread post by Motorm4x891 » March 7th, 2013, 10:56 pm

Well I went to my local Mazda dealership today (Where I had the truck serviced before for another warranty matter (EGR replacement) as I bought the truck on the south side of Brisbane.

So I arrived and provided them with the email of contact and no response. The guy behind the counter was a bit like "well what do you want it's out of warranty" and I explained the whole situation as i have told you all in my first post. I also forgot to mention above I had also been in contact with the guy that sold me the car in the first place at the south-side dealership but never got a response from him.

So he told me to take a seat and he would speak with the service manager.

About 30mins later he comes back and told me that:

1) The guy @ the south-side office was no longer with Mazda as of August last year (2012)(Conveniently the same time I address the issue)
& 2) The email had been forwarded onto the parts department not service. I said I had sent 2 emails to the guy @ the south side and 2 emails to the north side dealership. He confirmed this but said it was received at the wrong email so it was not his issue and it was my mistake. I asked him wouldn't common sense or basic customer service be if the person who read the email (I got a read receipt) noticed it was in the wrong area he would forward on to the right area... he did not reply he just shrugged his shoulders.

I said to him, so your telling me, you can't do anything for me. He said "If you really want we can run a diagnostic on it but that will be $150" I said but I brought this up to you while under warranty and the ACCC confirm this should be honored. Again he said their nothing we can do for you here. It's out of warrenty, if you have an issue take it up with Mazda Australia (Those were his exact words).

But to top off this customer service as i got up I said to him I was very disappoint in the service from Mazda and with all due respect, word of month is the best adverting... he said yes, well you can leave now ( was not even rude or had a tone just spoke like normal) and like assured me to the door, no joke! I mean he wasn't even a manager just some customer service guy... I tell ya, do they get training to be rude and obnoxious, they want to see you the car but don't give a hoot once you leave with it...

Sorry for my rant... I'm still debating on if it's worth taking up with Mazda Oz...

I was talking to a mate and he mentioned because our rigs are computer operated it might be possible to 'reset' the gearbox, as in, unplug the battery for 1/2hr then replug it then go for a drive so the system re-calibrates... would this work? I don't want to try it if it won't work.

@ diemonty - I knew it was a diesel thing to drop back to idle or neutral and that wasn't my bother, my bother is that if i drop down to say less than 40 but more than 20 it will stay in 4th rather than select say 3rd or 2nd and the engine will labor as it tries to pick up the slack while trying to turn the ratio of 4th gear... hence why I got to rev the engine to around 2,500 to even start to gain speed, at this point I'm just starting to shift into third manual hoping it might re-calibrate the computer.

Sorry again for the very long post but I thought I'd let you know how I got on.

diemonty
Been here a while

Unread post by diemonty » March 8th, 2013, 5:52 am

Take it up with mazda aust then accc asap

love the idea you have read receipts from emails priceless .

Because of these kind of dealings with the stealership I have not been back since 20k service I have now done 65k

Mazda dealers losing dollars never had cents.

cheers
Diemonty

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Unread post by fred99999au » March 8th, 2013, 6:54 am

Or my personal favourite is to put a sign inside the windscreen and park it out the front of their service entrance telling others what you have experienced. They will demand that you move and take down the sign, but you then just shrug your shoulders and point them back to the door from which they came.

ACCC or fair trading should go into bat for you if you can prove that you notified them of the issue while under warranty.

Write to Mazda and barrell them as we.., but I seem to recall that they are worse than Ford in this regard.

Motorm4x891
Here and there

Unread post by Motorm4x891 » March 9th, 2013, 10:40 pm

I'll contact Mazda probably Monday, but I did what my friend said, apart from I didn't reset the computer (disconnect the battery) I just drive the trust as it was a semi-auto, so I start 1st, 2nd, 3rd on the shifter then drop into drive, then when I think it should drop back to 3rd (instead of locking in 4th) i drop it back and the change in drive is immediate just picks up speed faster and drives alot better..

After a while i left it in drive and it worked like it should (dropping back to 3rd or 2nd which ever was appropriate) but after a few k's it starting locking in 4th gear and not wanting to down shift again... so I think i found a temp fix but I think my best bet is to speak with Mazda Monday.

Thanks everyone for the feed back on your rigs

Motorm4x891
Here and there

Unread post by Motorm4x891 » March 14th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Hi Guys,

Just though I would keep you posted.

So Monday I contacted Mazda HQ and they suggested I go to the dealer and get a software up-date as this can only be done by Mazda and my rig has not been to Mazda since I owned it, which was after the 10,000 service (Got it 2nd hand with 13,000 on the clock)

So I just got back from the dealer and was told that it would be $150 for the software upgrade. I asked if he believe this would fix it. he said and I quote "There's no way to guarantee it, it either will or won't" I asked him if he had heard of this issue before of which he replied "I'm not authorized to answer that" I was like I'm not the media mate I just want to know what headache I have here or which again he just shrugged and said he could not state if it was a know issue.

I asked him what other option could fix it, apart from a software upgrade (Of which he could not confirm would fix). He then went on to say they could do a fuel system flush and additive, I said how does that fix my shifting? He then said well we could flush your transmission and refill it for $295... I asked again would this fix it and he said he was not sure... Some service.

I am debating on going to a reputable auto trans mechanic and asking them... I'm hoping maybe they could do a full trans flush and Mazda mentioned something around adjusting the torque converter sensor... I never knew their was such a thing... I don't think this is over just yet... I'll keep you all posted on what I achieve.

navara07
Been here a while

Unread post by navara07 » March 14th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Keep going with it mate are you in brisbane area.

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Unread post by fred99999au » March 15th, 2013, 6:47 am

You may want to get your quasi-nuclear dipthon retarder adjusted while you're there as this will only cost several hundred dollars as well. Wont affect your gearbox, but will help line the dealerships pockets.

Hammer the knuckleheads. Don't take no for an answer.

If it was faulty under warranty and they knew about it then they need to fix it. Under warranty.

The only reason that these bullies get away with it is because people let them.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 15th, 2013, 12:02 pm

BT-5091
It sounds like you have a dealer who prepared to feed you as much B-llsh-t as possible to throw you off the scent and keep you stalled.
Ask him if polishing the dipstick end to a high reflective lustre will help the transmission shift better.
They are taking you for a ride and shirking their responsibilties and until you take some decisive action like contacting consumer affairs with all the crap documented for them to read, the dealer probably will continue his course of action.

Have you contacted Mazda directly and comlpained about the dealers actions? If you haven't you should do it ASAP, other wise the dealer will think he has you under him control and can tell you anything.

mydmax

husky123
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by husky123 » March 17th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Hey BT-5091 my auto is EXCACTLY the same as yours. It's shocking. let me know if you end up fixing it.

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”