View topic - ABS Dash Light showing after CV boot change, but not before?

ABS Dash Light showing after CV boot change, but not before?

Avid Poster

ABS Dash Light showing after CV boot change, but not before?

Hi guys,

I had my CV boots replaced and now I have the ABS light on, on the dash and the mechanic says the sensor is faulty and will cost over $300 for a new one!!!!!! Funny it wasn't faulty until he played with the car!!!!!!!! :mad: :irked:

Has anybody else come across this problem and how did you fix it??????????????????? :eek:

I tried a search for Millsy's list of trouble codes to see if there was something there to help me but couldn't find them!!!!!!! :confused:

Regards Ranger50 :thumb: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Last edited by Ranger50 on December 22nd, 2011, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FordRangerPKDC2009HighlandGreenDeluxebarWinchSnorkelLR TankCanopyXXXHIDDLightsUHFReverseCameraDualBatteriesOBCompressorHID conversion2inLiftBFGAT2657516WetseatSeatcoversTurbo TimerCustomrockersBattMon

Unread postby Ranger50 » December 14th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Been here a while

Re: ABS Dash Light

Could it be the fuse ? ?

Unread postby Mitchb » December 14th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Avid Poster

Re: ABS Dash Light showing after CV boot change, but not bef

sounds like your mechanic made it faulty. I'm not much up on changing CV boots but does it require any sensors to be unplugged or anything?
The key to good 4wding is not running over some one elses.<<<<<<<<<<

Unread postby LNGRNGR » December 14th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Here and there

chances are he has bent a pin on the wires that the sensor conects to, might just need a bit of a play with the conections

Unread postby rob_caz » December 14th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Here and there

Very first bog hole i every dropped my lilttle ute into brand new, it came out the other end with the abs light on... when i got home i measured the resistance of all the abs sensors and found my rhs rear open circuit... from memory it was only $45 so just changed the thing myself, figured wasnt worth losing a day booking it into imbeciles at ford for warranty.

Unread postby filthylucre351 » December 14th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Avid Poster

Hi Guys,

My mechanic can't find the problem neither can my auto elec. So I have it booked in to the stealership for 7.30am this morning. Hope they can sort the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

FordRangerPKDC2009HighlandGreenDeluxebarWinchSnorkelLR TankCanopyXXXHIDDLightsUHFReverseCameraDualBatteriesOBCompressorHID conversion2inLiftBFGAT2657516WetseatSeatcoversTurbo TimerCustomrockersBattMon

Unread postby Ranger50 » December 16th, 2011, 5:15 am

when i snapped my first CV joint last year,my ABS light came on and it has been
on ever since.I took it into Automasters and they said they can just hook it up
to a computer and then fix it,but it's not really on top of my list of things to do.

Unread postby rolly82 » December 16th, 2011, 9:36 am

Avid Poster

Have you tested the abs to see if its not just a code that the ecu has thrown and triggered the light and its stayed on?

If you jump on the brakes and none of the wheels lock up there is nothing wrong with your ABS. If the wheel locks up you have a fingered sensor.

If its the first one. Do an ecu reset and disconnect the battery and see what happens.
If its the second one Replace sensor on that wheel after checking all wiring and the ABS Tone ring.

**Disclaimer. If you crash and die while testing your car based on my advice you are an idiot and it is not my fault :)

Unread postby WA_WildTrak » December 16th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Been here a while

The abs does a selftest on itself each time the car is started if the lights on ABS is not working,just replace the wheel speed sensor that your mechanic f when he did your cv boots its that simple.

Unread postby seedyj » December 16th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Been here a while

My mechanic can't find the problem neither can my auto elec. So I have it booked in to the stealership for 7.30am this morning. Hope they can sort the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another reason why take it to the dealer as you a heading in there with your tail between your legs from the poor servive you have recieved from your so called experts.

Unread postby seedyj » December 16th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Need to get out more

It is quite possible the repair monkey tried to drop the hub out of the way to do the boots without first removing the sensor from the hub. In doing so it is likely the wire to the sensor has been stretched and ripped a wire apart in the lead at the plug or at the sensor itself. If you look at the bolt holding the sensor in the hub you should see it has been removed prior to the repair action.
If not you know you are on the right track.
If you probe the sensor with a multi meter on ohms, you should find out if it is ok or not. If it has no circuit the mechanic has created the problem if there was no problem before.

Regards
mydmax

Unread postby mydmax » December 16th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Avid Poster

Hi Guys,

We've tried all the tips you have suggested, I ended up at the stealership yesterday, only to be told last night that the L/H front sensor is stuffed (DAH) and they would not have the part to fix it until Monday morning about 9.30am. So that will be 3 days of my 10 day break from work that my car will be in the shop. They're saying should be fixed by lunch time Monday(I've heard that before) there's always something goes wrong, part does'nt turn up or turns up but is wrong part always something, Ford never seem to be able to get it right first time!!!!!!!!!!!

And to rub salt into the wound, when I picked up my car they told me there was a large screw in my rear left tyre, but they didn't remove it in case the tyre went down!!!!!!!

I checked this screw they had told me about before I left the stealership and it was not all the way in, it was still sticking out about 1/4". So I drove around to my trye bloke and had him repair the tyre it cost me $30.

Now I driver a Garbage truck for a living (12 hours a day) I'm constantly in and out of tips, so I get a lot of nails, screws, bolts, stuck in the truck tyres and I see how the heads wear with a 20 tonne truck driving on them, as I said this so called screw in my tyre was still sticking out 1/4", which it wouldn't have been if it had been there for a while and there was no wear on the head, when I got to the tyre repair place, the wear on the head was consistant with driving approx. 1klm from the stealership to the tyre repair place.
So I went back to the Stealership with said screw in hand(was not a screw-it was a steel automotive clip that you push in and turn-used for securing parts on cars) and suggested too service manager that said screw was picked up by my tyre in there driveway or workshop. He said to me you can't say that you have no proof, I said yes I can and I just did and the proof is in your hand,so check the wear on it's head, and when I left here it wasn't all the way in the tyre.

He said no more, didn't offer to pay for tyre repair nothing, $30 to them is nothing, but alot of money to me, so I just left in disgust, reinforced in the thought that all stealerships are arseholes!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby Ranger50 » December 17th, 2011, 6:59 am

Been here a while

If the dealers a stealership whats your mechanic then, will he cover the cost of the wheel speed sensor and labour charge from the sensor he f when he changed the cv boots, that will be a few hundred dollars?

Unread postby seedyj » December 17th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Avid Poster

Hi Seedy,

It wasn't my regular mechanic I used to do the CV boots, It was my local 4wd centre, and yes he did offer to fix it but I declined thinking if your stupid enough to f it in the first place, what else are you going to bugger fixing it, I also wonder about the job he did on the CV boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I call them a stealership because they charge 2 or 3 times as much, to do exactly the same thing as my mechanic when servicing my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

I beleive in once bitten twice shy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postby Ranger50 » December 18th, 2011, 8:01 am

Avid Poster

Hi Guys,

Well as I said earlier ABS light on, took it back to Ford on Monday, they replaced the front L/H ABS sensor, bobs your uncle no more abs light on the dash. :thumb:

I fully expected to have to pay for this myself, but the dealer said it was covered by warranty, :redface: suppose there is still some good in some dealerships after all. :cool: Won't be getting my vehicle service there still, why pay $600.00 for a major service when my mechanic only Charges $250.00 including all oils and filters(genuine)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Unread postby Ranger50 » December 22nd, 2011, 9:03 am

Return to PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50