Re: BT50/Ranger Gauge Cluster Pods

Unread post by oncedisturbed » December 6th, 2011, 11:56 pm

keen to see / hear a bit more on this

Fordboy351
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Fordboy351 » December 7th, 2011, 9:44 am

Hi All,

I have been flat stick at work with the actual money makers so i have had to put this on the backburner. Hopefully i will get a chance later in the week to finish off the tool and if lucky may even get a few formings off over the weekend. It all depends when i can get on the CNC to cut the tool.

In regards to price, i have been advise by the moderators that i will need to post that in a different thread or PM you individually, so when i have a working sample and its all sorted i will either open an appropriate thread or PM you all individually. I can say based on the size that they are going to be pretty cheap, although i will be using thicker material than alot of other gauge clusters i have seen before because i want them to be tough!!!

Garriss

gecko270
Avid Poster

Unread post by gecko270 » December 7th, 2011, 10:13 am

Nice work mate.....looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
99' HZJ105 Green Bus.
Lifted & barred up. Long range tank. 50L water tank on 33" Cooper STT's.

boodsie
Here and there

Unread post by boodsie » December 7th, 2011, 10:44 pm

sounds exciting, definatly keep us posted, does it come with the front fascia and the w just drill, cut our desired holes to suit our individual needs???

Fordboy351

Unread post by Fordboy351 » December 8th, 2011, 10:00 am

Hey boodsie,

Exactly. I intend to make it one piece though. If you needed to change you gauges at a later stage you could just glue a new piece of abs onto the front of the cluster. I'm doing this on a very lean budget so it's not going to be the million dollar model! It will be similar to the wildtrak binnacle in physicality, however the face will be flat so that you can put round gauges, small scanner screens etc. Should give everyone a bit of flexibility. Because it will be made from ABS it will be fairly easy to drill holes etc and cut-outs can be done with a dremel or similar. Mounting should be a piece of pie, they way it has been designed and you will not see any fixings if you have a standard dashmat and there won't need to be unsightly holes in the dash.

Garriss

fred99999au
Avid Poster

Unread post by fred99999au » December 8th, 2011, 11:48 am

Hey Garriss. When you say, you wont see the mounting if you have a dashmat, does this mean that if you don't have a dashmat, that you will see the mounting?

Fordboy351

Unread post by Fordboy351 » December 8th, 2011, 6:18 pm

If everything works out right then it will look good with or without the mat. The dash mat will always hide any fixing better than no mat. Like i said and i really want to re-iterate i'm on a very lean budget. Injection moulding tools and design for similar housings cost well over 50k. I don't love my BT-50 that much!!! Unless someone else is willing to give me some cash for R&D? I'm slowly getting there guys!

Fordboy351

Unread post by Fordboy351 » December 14th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Hi Guys,

Hopefully all your xmas's have come at once. The unit is finished, formed and ready to roll! It will be stocked early next week. From now on you'll need to contact Brendon on PM or e-mail him brendon@theuteshed.com.au for anything about this.

There's a bit of a teaser attached, if allowed Brendon will put some more pics up shortly. The finish is Black ABS. It can be painted to match the interior. The unit locates inside the recess, i havent stuck mine down with anything and it doesn't move anywhere. I would suggest using double sided VHB tape to secure. It would be wise to use some foil heat resistant lining inside to protect your gauges. It will fit a scan gauge or similar,3 x 52mm Gauges and small-medium scanners. It is just shy of SINGLE DIN, so unfortunately they can not be installed properly.

Moderators please move accordingly if needed. I am not selling these directly, for pricing etc the guys will need to contact Brendon for this. I can tell you now that you all will be very impressed with the price and the finish of the unit. I have decided it's going to be a lot easier to purchase through Brendon, he is extremely helpful and will be able to fix you up with any gauges etc for the units and install them as well i believe.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Please be kind guys. I have had to fork out my own time and money to make this work and they look pretty smick IMO!

Garriss.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bt50li
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bt50li » December 14th, 2011, 7:16 pm

this is why i love the forum. people can share there knowledge and talent and you have done just that. great work garriss looks awesome will be talking to brendon very soon
cheers oli

Fordboy351

Unread post by Fordboy351 » December 14th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Thanks Oli,

I am sure you will be more than satisfied with the unit. It is a strong unit and will take a decent beating. This forum has been the most laid back i have come across. I think everyone needs to work together for the end goal!!!

Brendon has appears to have contributed a lot to these forums by the looks of it, so supporting his local business as a distributor was a given. I have been really mindful of the cost of upgrades and i think the part price he will sell them at will make everyone really happy. If you guys can spread the word on other forums that would be great! If everyone could post their pics of it installed i would be stoked, i hope to chuck a scan gauge in over the xmas break and show you the end result start to finish of the install (a install guide if you like!!!)...you should all do the same :P

Garriss

boodsie
Here and there

Unread post by boodsie » December 14th, 2011, 11:35 pm

GARRISS, your a legend!!! mate it looks fantastic and ive already sent brendon at theuteshed a e-mail for price and possibilities of gauges...

CANT WAIT TO FIT IT....

two quick questions, would it be deep enough to fit a slimline uhf/vhf unit in? and is it a tight fit in the dash recess now or would u recomend using double side tape?? either way id be happy using gauges in it.... your a mad tradesman mate....

CONGRATULATIONS ON A AWESOME JOB!!!!

Fordboy351

Unread post by Fordboy351 » December 15th, 2011, 9:07 am

Hi Boodsie,

Thanks for the feedback! That makes it all a bit more worthwhile :)

Question 1: The size without being crazy big allows you a fair bit of play with gauges. With the space you can easily fit a slimline UHF unit in. I know that the GME Electrophone TX3500 fits because i sized that in Brendons shop. You should even be able to fit a UHF and the Scangauge together as they are pretty slimline but don't quote me on that. The unit has a fair bit of flexibility dimension wise.

Question 2: It is a relatively tight fit, it can't move side to side but it can slide forward with persuasion. I have had it unsecured on my dash for 2 days and bit of thrashing has not had it move once! I would still use the tape, specifically VHB tape (rub the plastic back a bit for better adhesion) having the UHF or the Scanguage might make it topple around corners, i haven't tried it yet so i can't comment! If the fit doesn't impress you for a cheap tool i would be very surprised i have put a lot of time into the shaping after the CNC process was done.

You will enjoy the unit!!!

Garriss

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”