Got (or want) bigger tyres? Come in here

Mase_bravo
Here and there

Re: Got bigger tyres? Come in here

Unread post by Mase_bravo » March 24th, 2014, 8:33 pm

Found a set of tyres and wheels I like in my price range they are 265/75 on 16x8 sunnies they come in -13 or +20 what offset would suit better?

I will be fitting a 50mm suspension lift at the same time if it makes any difference
Ford ranger owner

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » March 29th, 2014, 2:55 pm

-13 will stick out a ways, over track and you'd need some 'edging' on the guards, and scrubbing might be an issue here and there . . . +20 will be a little under track, but should not scrub at all.

Those tyres same size as mine fitted a month ago.
With my 2nd hand +35 16x8" rims, I ended up fitting 25mm spacer plates and now perfect to old track and great clearance still.
Did have to modify a couple of very minor touch points then.

Unbelievable difference off road a few weekends ago up at Bendleby station Orroroo :D

Ranger Stretch
Been here a while

Unread post by Ranger Stretch » March 31st, 2014, 7:59 am

Mate 0 offset is the go. You should be able to get sunny style rim in 0 offset, try king wheel or CSA and there are plenty off others.
Mods in order of completion.
Custom Rear Carry Bar, Duel Battery System, Double Din GPS Headunit, Bullbar, 100w HID Driving Lights, 265/70/16AT's and Sunnies, Hitch Receiver in Bullbar for Winch, 13000lb Winch, Anderson Plugs Front and Rear for Winch. My tray build thread viewtopic.php?f=118&t=151073

rutty_xf351
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by rutty_xf351 » March 31st, 2014, 10:02 am

0 off set is definitely the go. Im running 285 75 16 on a 8 inch sunny with 0 offset.

Mase_bravo
Here and there

Unread post by Mase_bravo » March 31st, 2014, 12:11 pm

Ended up going with 31x10.5 on a 15x8 0 offset black king sunraysia with maxxis bighorn 764, went with the 31" cause I think I got a bargin price $1200 fitted and balanced with a wheel alligment so pretty happy with that

Front passager side is scrubbing on full look as that side suspension has dropped about 1" so I will wind up the torsion bars so it's sitting nice hopefully without scrub otherwise ill
Have to play with the grinder

Will post some pictures in show and shine thread later on tonight
Ford ranger owner

Leakage
Here and there

Unread post by Leakage » April 3rd, 2014, 6:28 pm

Hi all

Well i just put an order in for a set of BFG A/T 255/70R16 for my 2008 BT-50 SDX.
Apparently BFG are out of stock until the 11th of April in all sizes from 245 - 265, so its a waiting game.

Cant wait, the truck is a death trap at the moment. the tyres on it are from 2005 and are on minimum limit. Life gets interesting when it rains :S
2008 BT-50

C32
Here and there

Unread post by C32 » April 6th, 2014, 4:53 am

Currently im running the Firestone AT 265/70/R16 on stock rims on stock suspension 4x4 and i find it to be rubbing even though i cranked the torsion bar. I took out the mudflaps on front but same prob. it rubs on very slight to major inclines. Anyway to solve this prob? the bump stops look ok like there is no touching there.

ozzie23
Here and there

Unread post by ozzie23 » April 8th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Good Year have got there 4 for 3 sale on at the moment, they were not including 4wd tyres at the start but due to high demand
they are allowing all 4wd tyres included!! Just ordered a set of duratrac's and saved $350.00!! just a thought for anyone after new rubber in the good year range. On sale till the 18th april. :)

bouncing Benny
Been here a while

Unread post by bouncing Benny » April 9th, 2014, 1:43 pm

Bugger it ozzie! Just bought my tyres about 3 weeks ago. Did save $ over retail but, cause I bought from an online tyre shop.I paid $330 a cnr vs $409 a cnr retail, for KM2s, 255/70R16.

nathand
Here and there

Unread post by nathand » May 16th, 2014, 6:24 pm

G'day lads, quick question on how you modified your guards. I have a 2inch lift with an ARB bar, just fitted 265x75x16 and it's rubbing pretty bad, almost undriveable without doing damage, the front rear mudflap and inner guard is hitting and the front mud guard as well, without having to cut them off, did anyone have any luck bending them?

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » May 16th, 2014, 8:30 pm

That's odd, what offset rims ?

Yes, you can get a heat gun and give the arches a good amount of heat, nice an hot, but keep it moving.
Then, use a small block of wood on the area and a longer one to level off the tyre to push it in where needed.

This was mainly for the back near the mudflaps on mine, the front skirts needed a gentle reshaping with a small sledge hammer, and I cut a little of the front arch away with an angle grinder where touching on full lock.

Ah, see you have the ARB front bar, so that rules out cutting front bar part of the problem.
Is it touching the steel / alloy bar ?

nathand
Here and there

Unread post by nathand » May 18th, 2014, 5:32 pm

cheers lad all sussed just raised the front via the torsions to clear the gaurds now its more level with the rear, very stiff front suspension now, its all been replaced with efs kit allround just original torsions, will this settle or is this the new rigid suspension due to the height

nathand
Here and there

Unread post by nathand » May 18th, 2014, 5:41 pm

just sussing it now might have to replace original torsions anybody have any luck with tough dog?http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAZDA-BRAVO- ... 6ec&_uhb=1

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 18th, 2014, 5:42 pm

It's probably because you've raised the front too high & there is no down travel left - check that you have at least 12mm or so left before the arm hits the bump stop, but ideally you shouldn't have lifted it beyond whatever leaves AT LEAST ONE THIRD of the full range of travel between full up & full down!!

Generally, making a torsion bar front Suspension vehicle sit level when it is unladen is WRONG!! They were designed to have a slight nose down attitude (around 40mm lower at the front normally) so that when you put something in the back and the rear suspension settles your lights aren't aimed into the trees possum spotting and so that there is still plenty of compression AND extension travel left - the ideal setting is to have your static ride height in the middle third of the full range of travel, and if you must wind the torsion bars up, you shouldn't ever go beyond the top of that middle third or you will get a harsh (& dangerously unroadworthy) ride due to lack of travel in one direction... :(
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

nathand
Here and there

Unread post by nathand » May 18th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the advice mate I'll lower it down and have to do some guard modification I'd say I've only.raised it 35mm from standard would getting longer versions help I've already put longer shocks and.strengthened shock mounts in

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”