Overheating Bravo - any ideas of likely causes?

Nicho_T
Here and there

Re: Overheating Bravo - any ideas of likely causes?

Unread post by Nicho_T » December 5th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I have just taken the radiator out and will get it cleaned out. Any tips or things to remember when I put the coolant back in the radiator once it has been cleaned?

gecko270
Avid Poster

Unread post by gecko270 » December 5th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Again. Once you have the radiator back in and before you fill it up make sure you have the heater control in cab all the way over to Hot. Just don't have the thing running when you're filling it up obviously. :)
99' HZJ105 Green Bus.
Lifted & barred up. Long range tank. 50L water tank on 33" Cooper STT's.

Nicho_T
Here and there

Unread post by Nicho_T » December 5th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Thanks gecko

danarm
Here and there

Unread post by danarm » December 21st, 2011, 10:03 am

Hi nicho_T, You and me are in the same boat, iv'e just had a whinge and a bitch on another part of this section of the mazda forum. I've got a 2003 model, I cooked the motor in mine and it's being rebuilt at the moment. I 've been told it's a manufacturing problem. I'll see what happens after I get it back if no better I'll try an after market radiator, there suppose to be a coolant out that makes the motor run a bit cooler.

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » December 21st, 2011, 5:43 pm

The correct way is to suck the coolant in. This is done with a tool the sucks all the air out of the cooling system, creating a vacuum to suck the coolant mixture into the motor, pretty much eliminating the chance of air pockets. If doing without this, I'd fill the block up thru the top hose, then once full fill the radiator, run with rad cap off to remove air pockets...

Jamie0002
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jamie0002 » February 10th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Hi guys, I have a 2.5 bravo 06 WL engine and just thought I would share the over heating issues I found. My Car was over heating up hill anywhere from 100 km to 120kmh and was perfectly fine on the flat etc... I removed the fan hub and since you can split the hub on my model I added some new silicone oil, test drove the car, & still had the fault. I removed the thermostat & tested it in hot water on the stove etc and it did open, but I decided to leave the thermostat out and test it like that - it failed again, still getting hot. To look down the front of the radiator it was all clean etc, but I decided to put a light up against the radiator and I couldn’t see any light through the core... I removed the radiator and cleaned all the bugs etc out of the core and that’s fixed it... So don’t jump to conclusions that the head is stuffed straight away, as you need to check all the simple things first. My Ute has over 200,000 km on it and it's never done a head. I just thought I'd share my experiences as it might save someone some heartache. When my Ute was hot at idle with the radiator cap off, I did get a few bubbles coming through, but I'm guessing that was cos the air flow was clogged and water in raidator would have been wanting to boil off without the cap. It wasn’t consistent with a u/s head gasket tho. I hope this helps someone.

Jamie0002
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jamie0002 » February 13th, 2019, 9:23 pm

The give away with mine was the air con was hot at idle indicating an air flow issue; the condenser was not getting the required air flow to cool the air con at the lights.

Jamie0002
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Jamie0002 » February 13th, 2019, 9:44 pm

I wouldn’t bother with getting the radiator cleaned out etc as I brought a new radiator for 99 dollars... I'm going continue to run my old one now until it blows, as I've got a spare sitting in my shed. It looked brittle anyway where your hoses go on... they are cheap really.

Return to “PJ/PK Ranger / Old BT50”