Broken Leaf Spring '95 B2600

Mazda Musings
emmvee
Here and there

Broken Leaf Spring '95 B2600

Unread post by emmvee » May 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm

I'm hoping for some advice on my '95 Bravo.

Had an awesome session in the mud today, but because I've got a ripped CV boot, I wasnt even locking in my hubs.
So to keep momentum, I might have been a bit rough on my poor truck.

Was doing great... it's been raining quite a bit over the last day or so, so there was more mud than expected, bounced and ended up perpendicular to the track, with my wheels chocked into some deep, water filled ruts.

On inspection of the situation, I noticed one of my leaf springs was broken, and the last 200mm of it was actually touching up against the tire.

At the time, I used some cable ties to get it out of the way to keep my tire from being hurt.

Didn't notice any real difference on the way home, but drove a bit more gentle than usual.

My questions are:

Firstly- Should I stop driving my car until this is fixed?

I am under the impression that the less leaves I have, the less weight I can put in my tray, however they will flex more- giving my rear axle more wheel articulation. Keeping in mind, the current leaf pack is factory standard.

So- can I just remove the equivalent leaf on the other side and have lighter leaf packs?
Or is it specific which ones can be removed?
Should I remove more?

I figure the future investment in airbags would be my ultimate solution.

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » May 30th, 2010, 2:51 pm

Depends on which one of the leaves is broken. You didn't really say which one.

If its the top 2 leaves (counting from top to bottom) you will need to replace the whole leaf pack, as these are the ones that hold the rest of the pack together, and affix themselves to the chassie.

If its the last 2 leaves (thicker than the rest) then these are your load bearing leaves, and you can remove these, but you wont be able to carry much weight.

If its any of the leaves between these, then you can remove them. They are the leaves in your primary leaf pack. Basically once your primary leaf pack is loaded, then the secondary leaves will bear the weight of the load.

In short:

The only difference with a primary leaf missing is more flex and a slightly lower height in the rear. Also, less weight can be carried before the secondary leaves kick in.

The difference with a secondary leaf missing is more flex by a lot less load carrying ability.

The difference with the first or second leaf missing in the primary leaf pack is just dangerous.
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

emmvee
Here and there

Unread post by emmvee » May 31st, 2010, 9:08 am

Thanks for that info. I'm not near it at the moment, but a look at the photos- it looks like the top three are completely intact, but I can't see for sure if it's the fourth down or not because of the photo angle.
It is the one that is attatched to a piece that wraps around the leaves above it. It's that piece that is actually holding it on (and a cable tie at the other end).
That was worded terribly... I hope you know what I mean.

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » May 31st, 2010, 4:08 pm

Hi emmvee, are you able to attach a copy of the photo to the forum?
This will be able to help with your issue.

Cheers
MAZTRUCK- 31" Muddies, 2" Suspension lift, 2" Body Lift, Custom Front Bar, UHF, 2" Shackles, Balljoint Spacers, 1" Diff Drop, Dual Batt, Front Lokka, Sliders, Custom Tray, etc

emmvee
Here and there

Unread post by emmvee » June 3rd, 2010, 3:02 pm

Thanks for your advice. I climbed under there and took some pics, but I couldn't work out how to post them on the forum!
It appears to be in the secondary pack, and I've used some wire to hold it in place so it doesn't hit the tire. I've been driving around a little bit, and today I took it in to clean it up good, and get the mud off since I broke it.
I think I"m just going to replace them with TJM or Tough Dog- that way I get a bit of a lift, and I'll get new u-bolts and greasable shackles, and probably get new shocks as well... if I can stretch the budger that far.
I need to turn this break into a good thing!

4x4playNT
Part of the furniture

Unread post by 4x4playNT » June 3rd, 2010, 3:17 pm

emmvee
Here and there

Unread post by emmvee » June 7th, 2010, 10:52 am

Thanks for that site. I'm actually about to purchase TJM all round from the local 4wd megastore, but I have a few shock questions, which I"ll put on a new thread.

Return to “General Mazda”