Courier/Bravo/Raider Tech Tips & Handy Hints

Mazda Musings
hoyks
Avid Poster

Re:

Unread post by hoyks » January 6th, 2011, 6:42 pm

bravoboy300 wrote:
mycourierwishesitwas4wd wrote:Hi has anyone worked out an easy install for a courier rear diff breather? Im not really set up with a laith to turn out my own bolt and dont really have the $40 either (taking away petrol money for the trip) :/ so I was wondering if anyone has found another bolt from a fuel system or something that will be a straight fit into the dif? Were about to do some touring and I think a couple of creek crossings are unavoidable. The other thing is,should I really do this for a couple of creeks? Is the effort/expense worth it?
g'day,
i was in the same boat as you when i did my breathers. what i did was to undo the breather out of the diff (put a clean rag or tissue over the hole so stop crap falling in) and i used a bench grinder to grind the little cap off the end of the breather. Then using 8mm (i think, don't quote me) hose like fuel hose or something of the like i slipped that over the end, secured it with a hose clip and bobs your aunty. works a treat!

Trav
With all the rain up here I thought I should do something with mine. I dropped into Glenfords and bought 2 Nito barbed hose fittings and cut the barbed ends off. Unscrewed the breather vents and knocked the caps off. A 1/8" punch down through the middle and a tap with a hammer and off the come.

I filed the vent down to get rid of the lip on the top then welded the barbed connector onto the top. The tail is probably longer than you need and you could probably get away with 1 connector and cut the tail in two.

3m of hose, a few zip ties and a cheap fuel filter flushed with 2 stroke got the job done for under $20.... not including the $$$ for the TIG, so maybe it isn't that economical ;) . Once the fuel evaporates the 2 stroke oil makes the paper filter more water resistant.

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Re: /Bravo/Raider Tech Tips & Handy Hints

Unread post by bravoboy300 » January 12th, 2011, 5:04 pm

good stuff ;)

101bravo
Been here a while

Re: Courier/Bravo/Raider Tech Tips & Handy Hints

Unread post by 101bravo » February 1st, 2011, 10:55 am

bravoboy300 wrote:
Also does anyone know where i can get the rear window for a tourertop canopy? i have the canopy but the window was missing when it came with the truck and i'd like to put it on the car but need the back window... Any suggestions???

Cheers
Trav
Hey Bravoboy,

Not sure if anyone go back to you on the window for you canopy. I just broke side window in my tourettop. getting mine through TJM Geebung. I just needed to send them some images. They reckon there should have been a model/part number engraved inside on the window frame but there wasn't on mine. You should check.

bravoboy300
Part of the furniture

Unread post by bravoboy300 » March 4th, 2011, 7:18 pm

sorry took ages to reply, been away... I havent even got the window frame... it snapped off at the hinges which sucks, but ill be near the TJM shop tomorrow so ill duck in and see what they can do for me...

Also, (not just realted to bravos but ill let you guys know first ;)) anyone interested in fitting a snorkel whjo doesnt have the correct hole saws, duck down to your local hardware and buy a metal puch for the drill, mine cost $30 and does the best job providing you take your time and take it easy as it is free hand... its kind of like a jigsaw that goes in the drill, but will only cut sheet metal up to about 3-4mm, but is perfect for cutting guards...

Cheers

jaym
Avid Poster

Re:

Unread post by jaym » March 4th, 2011, 11:53 pm

oops wrote:Rightto. I have a 96 mazda bravo, 2.6 petrol with factory gas

2. Sometimes when my foot is off the accelerator it won't idle, it just surges so it drops to 1 or 200 rpm then goes back to 1100 and just keeps cycling like this. It only does this on gas cause when I switch over to petrol its sweet.

Adrian
How did you fix this? I have simerller problem

oops
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by oops » March 21st, 2011, 4:16 pm

I ended up fixing this by putting a rebuild kit in the converter then tuning it. Initially I took the converter apart (it had lots of black crap in it) and cleaned it, but this didn't seem to work. However when I bought the rebuild kit and stripped it completely I missed the flappy valve thing that you access from coolant side of the converter (this also regulates gas). Turned out this was full of those black ball things too, so I reckon it was cleaning this out not the rebuild problem that fixed it. I think these little balls were changing the mixture each time, making it impossible to tune correctly.

cheers

BennyWA
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyWA » April 19th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Get your fuel pumps recalibrated (on the diesels) Getting 100+ k's extra out of a tank now! (Was rebuilt though)
Cheers, Ben

'13 FJ Cruiser

101bravo
Been here a while

Unread post by 101bravo » April 20th, 2011, 11:39 am

Cheers Ben for that tip. Had been thinking I should get mine looked at. Courierman on here suggested a place in Goodna for Diesel tune etc. Might have to go see if he survived the flood.
XJ /b] Work in progress :)
'10 Patrol 2" OME lift, Dual Battery, ARB Front Winch Bar and Side Rails/Steps
http://www.youtube.com/qldbrays

jaym
Avid Poster

Unread post by jaym » April 20th, 2011, 5:21 pm

oops wrote:I ended up fixing this by putting a rebuild kit in the converter then tuning it. Initially I took the converter apart (it had lots of black crap in it) and cleaned it, but this didn't seem to work. However when I bought the rebuild kit and stripped it completely I missed the flappy valve thing that you access from coolant side of the converter (this also regulates gas). Turned out this was full of those black ball things too, so I reckon it was cleaning this out not the rebuild problem that fixed it. I think these little balls were changing the mixture each time, making it impossible to tune correctly.

cheers
Finally fixed mine :) turns out was an air restriction to the convertor, pulled the line off fitted a bigger barb and problem solved. Will be fitting balance pipe before snorkle tho

Pictures tell it all
Before

After

101bravo
Been here a while

Bravo / Courier Wheel offsets

Unread post by 101bravo » April 28th, 2011, 6:11 am

Gents,

After snapping my steering (and CV) once again over the Easter Long weekend I'm sort of over it. I cant beleive it's the car. It MUST be something I have done .. SO .. let's look at tyre offsets.

My Bravo came with the original factory steel rims which I replaced with Sunnies with an offset of - 105mm (measured from outer edge of rim to face where your studs poke through) With these wheels nothing broke. My play tyres are now on rims with a -140mm offset. Tonight I will measure a stock Bravo/Courier wheel and see what it was ex-factory.

Is anyone else starting to think maybe these latest rims are just tipping the scales on what the Bravo can handle. There might me a lesson for all of us here.
XJ /b] Work in progress :)
'10 Patrol 2" OME lift, Dual Battery, ARB Front Winch Bar and Side Rails/Steps
http://www.youtube.com/qldbrays

jaym
Avid Poster

Unread post by jaym » April 28th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Colin your not haven much luck there hope u get it sorted soon mate!

Would anyone be able to tell me if a 1999 bravo loom can handle 100w head light bulbs?

Reaper_247
Been here a while

Unread post by Reaper_247 » August 11th, 2011, 10:01 pm

At a guess mate I would say not.
If replacing your standard bulbs with 100w bulbs I would think at the very least you would need to fit a relay with a heavier gauge wire (fused) connected directly from the battery so when you turn your headlights on the switch triggers the relay which then turns them on but doesn't use the factory wire for the current draw it uses the heavier one for its voltage similar to a spotlight setup.
Check to be sure but i think 100w is getting up there.
When you are dead, you don't know that your dead, it is difficult only for the others - It is the same when you are stupid!

scottylea12
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by scottylea12 » November 9th, 2011, 6:51 pm

hey guys and girls

was just wondering what the best way you guys have been keeping your trucks cooler ive had a few overheating problems in low range and heard that its a common problem? also heard thermos help? where could i get one from?

BennyWA
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyWA » November 10th, 2011, 1:03 pm

I have the same problem with towing on hot days... thinking a thermo could be a goer too!
You can buy thermo fans from any auto shop but get a good 'un (like Davies Craig etc..) because if it fails you won't know untill it's too late!!
I installed a temp alarm to keep me from having to do the head again..
Cheers, Ben

'13 FJ Cruiser

scottylea12
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by scottylea12 » November 10th, 2011, 3:41 pm

cheers ill give it ago, head hasnt gone yet but the car is reaching 180 thousand

Return to “General Mazda”