peace

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Re: Courier/Bravo/Raider Tech Tips & Handy Hints

Unread post by chris_stoffa » April 29th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum

31a's are easy ( don't touch a thing on mine ) , 32's may require be a trim here and there , 33's are more work

But mine has a full Old man Emu suspension under it , so its has a 2" suspension lift and I slightly wound up the torsion bars a tad - on 31's nothing rubs, nothing wears out unduly and it works great offroad within its limits. I can get 32' under it

Your CV's will take a flogging if you wind up the torsion bars too far and change their angle and make them continually work at or on outer limits of their flexibility parameters

From a purely rolling / turning aspect Its not the tyres as such, its the angle caused by winding up the torsion bars too much that is the real problem.

The bigger tyres ( like 33's ) may also cause real issues for your drive train, particularly 5th gear, as they will cause greater load on the drive train of which the Bravo's 5th is a real weak spot.

General rule is don't tow in 5th, unless on very level or downhill runs and if you do, do it with gentle driving style.

cheers
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Bfishin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bfishin » September 15th, 2015, 12:41 pm

HI everyone,
New here and after a bit of advice
2004 Mazda Bravo 4WD Diesel 150,000k's
2" tough dog lift 31" tyres and safari snorkel

I have a noise that I can't quite figure out and it's starting to get louder. When rolling (out of gear) it sounds like tyre noise(rumble) but it does not change when on dirt/Tar. It is consistent with speed - ie it changes in tone as you speed up.

I've lifted both front wheel and spun them - does not make any noise as though it would be a bearing. I also tried to "Wobble" the wheel while off the ground (top to bottom) and there is no movement.

Now at over 80kph it is quite loud and I'm not sure what it is. I spoke to a mechanic - who did not even look or drive the car and he said he wants to start with a $1k new diff and see if that fixes it??????? Not happy with him at all.

Any advice would be helpful.
And thanks for this forum - learning every day
Dave
If there's nowhere else you HAVE to be, you may as well BFISHIN

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » September 15th, 2015, 1:23 pm

First - Welcome to the forum - Find new mechanic. ( tell us where you are, someone may know a good local for you. )

Second - what makes you think it is front end related ?

Third - Check your front diff for oil and check the quality of the oil - has it been contaminated - do you have leaks

Fourth - lift front - have some one put their foot on the brake - shake the wheel @ 6 & 12 for movement/ release / shake again / then 3 & 9 / repeat if movement is noticed - bearings

Have you tried it in 2WD / 4WD in 2H / 4H at 80kph on dirt roads - is the sound the same in all configs.

Try dropping the front tail shaft and confirm / deny if it is front end. ( couiple of 12mm rings spanners )

Check oil in gearbox and transfer case also
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

Bfishin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bfishin » September 15th, 2015, 1:35 pm

Thanks Chris,

I live near Nowra, NSW.
I'll try again to lift and wobble front wheels again this afternoon.
Makes same noise in 2H/4H
Did CV joints a few weeks ago as I had split boots and decided just to replace both CV's. Gear oil topped up by Mechaninc at time. No Leaks.
Noise is there even just rolling (out of gear). Will have a look at disconnecting front drive shaft. Must admit, I'm not a mechanic and tend to trust others with more knowledge

Appreciate your help
Dave

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 15th, 2015, 1:50 pm

If speed related it would seem to be a wheel bearing. there may not be appreciable looseness to detect but it may be vocalizing when rotating. IF you can determine front or rear steering L or R abruptly may momentarily diminish the intensity of the noise. Usually the side which lifts when the noise gets less is that side wheel bearing.

If constant no matter what you do then it could be a pinion or diff bearing. Pinion bearings talk at faster speed than wheel bearings, ie, around 4 times the chatter in the same time = higher frequency.

A mechanic who immediately "tries it on" with a replacement diff option, is not a mechanic to trust for anything.

Bfishin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bfishin » September 15th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Thanks again mydmax

Noise doesn't seem to change when I fling the steering L-R.
At times it is like an oscillation type noise woo, woo,woo - other times it is a constant. Sorry for the crap description
It looks like I'm off to the Mazda guys to go for a drive later today - hopefully they will have an answer.
Just worried as I have a 2000klm drive on next week and I want it to make it back!!
Dave

Bfishin
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Bfishin » October 15th, 2015, 10:04 am

Quick update....

Turned out that the seals had gone on the bearings and water got in. Replaced both front wheel bearings and did the front brake pads and got the discs machined (they had to come off anyway). Found a gem of a mechanic who showed me exactly what he was doing and why. Nice and quiet now:)

Just a note that I looked online for the bearings and found one place that had for around $150 each - I like to buy local so went to the local Rep#$ shop and they wanted $309 Plus GST each - I questioned this and told them that I could get for 1/2 that on line but would shop local if competitive....... well blow me down, they dropped the price to $150 each incl GST.

Always question the price guys - it's amazing how much shops try to rip you off.

Happy Bravo owner
Dave

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 15th, 2015, 11:59 am

Most of the time, it's not so much that they 'try to rip you off' as they tend to charge what they think the market (ie, you, the buyers) will bear or be prepared to pay.... and if everybody always just hands over the $$ without complaint then obviously they could actually charge a bit more!! :eek:

So it's not only doing yourself a dis-service if you just pay the exorbitant asking price, you are also making it harder for everyone else to get a reasonable price!! :irked: But if EVERYBODY buying 4WD parts &/or accessories started pushing for lower prices, or maybe even refusing to buy things that were obviously over priced here (ever noticed that Air Lockers sell for about $600 in the US, but are well over twice the equivalent Aus $ here in Oz where they come from - but many still keep buying them here! :roll eyes: ) then we'd probably see prices coming down to a much more realistic level!!

Yeah, that's a simplistic interpretation & there's a lot more to it I know; but we ARE still getting screwed on prices on many things just because the price is set at what the supplier thinks the market will pay!! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “General Mazda”