Courier/Bravo/Raider Tech Tips & Handy Hints

Mazda Musings
MattyCourier
I'm new, be nice!
Posts: 6
Joined: November 14th, 2007, 1:50 am

Courier/Bravo/Raider Tech Tips & Handy Hints

Unread post by MattyCourier » December 13th, 2007, 8:20 pm

G'day everyone,

Just thought I would start up a central thread for us courier/bravo owners to share info about our utes that may help others. Wether it be what size/offset rims will fit, or the biggest tyre with a certain amount of lift, or problem's we've had & solutions to fix them, good wreckers to buy parts from etc...

I know it will only be a matter of time before a hilux owner replies with the advice "don't buy one to start off with", but you get that...

So fire away with you're hints & tips everyone.

MattyCourier
I'm new, be nice!
Posts: 6
Joined: November 14th, 2007, 1:50 am

Unread post by MattyCourier » December 13th, 2007, 8:33 pm

To get the ball rolling...

I have a 95 Courier, 2.6L supercab.

1. Recently my viscous fan clutch decided that it didn't want to work anymore. So phoned Ford dealer, was quoted $575 for a replacement, and not one in stock 2 days wait. So tried Mazda, $360 and once again, not one in stock couple of days wait. Next up phoned repco, the reply I got was "Yeah mate, we sure do stock them, $175 and we have a couple in stock" So now I have that lovely sound of a fan clutch working once again.

2. Most of you should know this one by now, but anyway. Those black or chrome recovery hooks you see everywhere (supercheap, repco, arb, tjm, etc) for about 15 bucks with the 2 holes. Well they just bolt straight on to where the factory recovery hook/tie down points are, just undo the 2 bolts, ditch the tie down point, keep one of the old bolts to compare the threads, go to a bolt shop find the right thread & grab a couple of longer high tensile bolts. Too easy.

FreestyleCab
Here and there
Posts: 54
Joined: November 28th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Unread post by FreestyleCab » December 14th, 2007, 4:53 am

My Tip #1

Over my 17 years of owning Bravos I have found that if you are after genuine parts for your Courier (or Bravo)... ALWAYS get them from a Mazda dealer. Mazda will be cheaper EVERYTIME.

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1649
Joined: May 13th, 2007, 11:38 am

Unread post by Mikey0211 » December 14th, 2007, 6:01 pm

FreestyleCab wrote:My Tip #1

Over my 17 years of owning Bravos I have found that if you are after genuine parts for your Courier (or Bravo)... ALWAYS get them from a Mazda dealer. Mazda will be cheaper EVERYTIME.

Ahhh... good tip....

Has anyone heard of when the front lockers are comming to the couriers/ bravo's..... no one at 4wd systems will return my emails??????

Courierman
Avid Poster
Posts: 622
Joined: September 26th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Unread post by Courierman » December 14th, 2007, 9:32 pm

i have owned two couriers both dual cabs. one 1997 petrol 2.6i and the current one a 2.5 TD.

the 2.6 was a good car with the only major costs being replacing the front diff due to spider gear failure and the gearbox 5th gear. this was a great vehicle.

the 2.5 td is a good motor and a good car but this year i have had a bustered a rear axle which stuffed up my detroit so it had to be replaced with an air locker and then the car was using some water and noted it starting a bit rough every time i started it. diagnotice cracked head. had to replace the injectors and glow plugs as well. the mechanic advised this is common thing that happens with the WL heads, so if your turbo desiel bravo or Courier is using water this is what could be wrong.

the biggest tyres i have placed on the TD courier was 235/85/16 which is 32 inch. the car went well except when first moving. i now have 245/75/16 which is a good comprimise and the car goes better.

If you remove the rear tyre from under the tray you can fit a 65 litre water tank there.

would i change the coureir for another dual cab ute NO!!
Couriers are GREAT, 2001 2.5L turbo, 245/75/16 cooper ST, TWIN LOCKED ARB locker in rear
Front lokka, dual batteries to run 50L Waeco, dual swingaway spare tyres on rear
65L water tank where the spare use to be, much more please ask

4low
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1036
Joined: September 4th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Unread post by 4low » December 15th, 2007, 7:38 am

MattyCourier wrote:To get the ball rolling...

I have a 95 Courier, 2.6L supercab.

1. Recently my viscous fan clutch decided that it didn't want to work anymore. So phoned Ford dealer, was quoted $575 for a replacement, and not one in stock 2 days wait. So tried Mazda, $360 and once again, not one in stock couple of days wait. Next up phoned repco, the reply I got was "Yeah mate, we sure do stock them, $175 and we have a couple in stock" So now I have that lovely sound of a fan clutch working once again.

2. Most of you should know this one by now, but anyway. Those black or chrome recovery hooks you see everywhere (supercheap, repco, arb, tjm, etc) for about 15 bucks with the 2 holes. Well they just bolt straight on to where the factory recovery hook/tie down points are, just undo the 2 bolts, ditch the tie down point, keep one of the old bolts to compare the threads, go to a bolt shop find the right thread & grab a couple of longer high tensile bolts. Too easy.
1. I had problems with my fan clutch and whatever I bought, new or secondhand didnt work, so the thermo came in and has worked a treat so far

2. Yeah I had the black hook put in the exact same spot, and few weeks back someone had nicked it which still remains a mystery but the next one I put in will be extremely tight, and depending on my anger levels at the time, might weld it on!

Also, great work on starting this thread!!
Wrangler MTR's, EFS Elite 2inch lift, Narva lights, longrange tank, spray on ute liner
My cats breath smells like cat food

bj42turbo
Been here a while
Posts: 325
Joined: February 9th, 2005, 5:28 pm
Location: VIC

Unread post by bj42turbo » December 15th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Courierman wrote:i

the biggest tyres i have placed on the TD courier was 235/85/16 which is 32 inch. the car went well except when first moving. i now have 245/75/16 which is a good comprimise and the car goes better.
Just a question about the tyre size, whats considered a standard size for your vehicle as I am considering fitting 235/85/16s to our family truck even though it is not a courier and our standard size is 245/70/16


BJ
Wifes 4wd..Holden Jackaroo '94 **Now my play thing**
My 4wd..BJ42 1981 Landcruiser turbo diesel **SOLD**
[url]http://www.DynamicLocksmiths.com.au[/url]

MattyCourier
I'm new, be nice!
Posts: 6
Joined: November 14th, 2007, 1:50 am

Unread post by MattyCourier » December 15th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Looks like there a few of us out there then & some good tips coming in.

Bravoboy in regards to your fan clutch problems, do you have air con or not? I don't have air con in mine, so far since fitting the new fan clutch have had no problems, but haven't yet been out for a big low range session, or stuck in traffic with the new clutch on, so time will tell I guess.

If it does still overheat, which is quite possible, as my bullbar doesn't allow the best airflow, I think I will just put a thermo in front of the radiator to help it out.

And on the topic of air-con, what is involved in installing air-con in a courier? Is it just a matter of going to a wrecker, getting all the parts for it and whacking them on & getting it regassed?
If so, what parts will I need to look out for at the wreckers?
Or is it just easier to take it to an aircon place & get them to do it new?

I got by ok without the aircon, but my fair lady recently purchased a Jimny, and since I've been cruising around a bit with the aircon on, I think I might just be a bit spoiled now.

Courierman
Avid Poster
Posts: 622
Joined: September 26th, 2007, 12:49 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Unread post by Courierman » December 17th, 2007, 7:46 am

bj42turbo wrote:Just a question about the tyre size, whats considered a standard size for your vehicle as I am considering fitting 235/85/16s to our family truck even though it is not a courier and our standard size is 245/70/16


BJ

the courier has 205 16 as standard.

it you want to know how big you can go you best see a good tyre place that knows 4wd as they should have the experience to advise you.
Couriers are GREAT, 2001 2.5L turbo, 245/75/16 cooper ST, TWIN LOCKED ARB locker in rear
Front lokka, dual batteries to run 50L Waeco, dual swingaway spare tyres on rear
65L water tank where the spare use to be, much more please ask

4low
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1036
Joined: September 4th, 2005, 7:57 pm

Unread post by 4low » December 17th, 2007, 6:28 pm

MattyCourier wrote:Looks like there a few of us out there then & some good tips coming in.

Bravoboy in regards to your fan clutch problems, do you have air con or not? I don't have air con in mine, so far since fitting the new fan clutch have had no problems, but haven't yet been out for a big low range session, or stuck in traffic with the new clutch on, so time will tell I guess.

If it does still overheat, which is quite possible, as my bullbar doesn't allow the best airflow, I think I will just put a thermo in front of the radiator to help it out.

And on the topic of air-con, what is involved in installing air-con in a courier? Is it just a matter of going to a wrecker, getting all the parts for it and whacking them on & getting it regassed?
If so, what parts will I need to look out for at the wreckers?
Or is it just easier to take it to an aircon place & get them to do it new?

I got by ok without the aircon, but my fair lady recently purchased a Jimny, and since I've been cruising around a bit with the aircon on, I think I might just be a bit spoiled now.
I do have air-con, but my problems werent about overheating issues. I changed my damaged radiator for a dual core one, which was what was recommended by the guy fixing it. After that was installed I then experienced problems with the fan so went back to original radiators and no luck, and the thermo did the job. Only time I expereinced overheating with the thermo was on a trip to Moreton Island. Was climbing a sandhill, it was packed to the hilt including roof racks and 5 adults, the balding tyres didnt help either. Having a few breaks brought the temp down so all was good, and that was on a hot day too. Traffic wise everything is ok and low range work on moreton for 50mins straight was still alright except for that one hill
Wrangler MTR's, EFS Elite 2inch lift, Narva lights, longrange tank, spray on ute liner
My cats breath smells like cat food

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1649
Joined: May 13th, 2007, 11:38 am

Unread post by Mikey0211 » December 18th, 2007, 4:18 pm

Courierman wrote:the courier has 205 16 as standard.

it you want to know how big you can go you best see a good tyre place that knows 4wd as they should have the experience to advise you.

I recently got new tyres fitted to my couirer.... 31 x 10.5 x 15... Need to do a little bit of trimming as they rub of the bullbar when flexed up and turned slightly but they fit fine....

I queried the guy at the tyre shop about fitting 32's on, which WILL fit with a bit more trimming But... The tyre shops are legally NOT aloud to put them on your vehicle...

So you can buy them and just fit them on at home....

Rocky4.4
Need to get out more
Posts: 2041
Joined: October 22nd, 2006, 6:37 pm
Location: Dysart QLD

Unread post by Rocky4.4 » December 18th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Mikey0211 wrote:I recently got new tyres fitted to my couirer.... 31 x 10.5 x 15... Need to do a little bit of trimming as they rub of the bullbar when flexed up and turned slightly but they fit fine....

I queried the guy at the tyre shop about fitting 32's on, which WILL fit with a bit more trimming But... The tyre shops are legally NOT aloud to put them on your vehicle...

So you can buy them and just fit them on at home....
Put the same one mine, Mine just miss the front bumper by about
3mm:waycool:
[align=center][b]OUTER CONTROL 4X4[/b][/align]
2002 Ford Courier Dual Cab XLT 2.5 T/D, 3'' Zorst, Detroit Rear Locker, Efs Shocks, Rockcrawler Rear Leafs, Arb Turbo Timer, Dual Battery's, Wound up Turbo and Modified Diesel Injector Pump, Black Sunnies, 31 Bighorns, Airflow Snorkel, Unifilter

Rocky4.4
Need to get out more
Posts: 2041
Joined: October 22nd, 2006, 6:37 pm
Location: Dysart QLD

Unread post by Rocky4.4 » December 18th, 2007, 4:58 pm

As most of you know i have only had my Courier for a sort time, But on the dash there is a low fuel light and i have drivin the thing till she was just about empty (i think) is this a mazda option not connected on the ford i have a 2002 XLT.

Thanks Tim.
[align=center][b]OUTER CONTROL 4X4[/b][/align]
2002 Ford Courier Dual Cab XLT 2.5 T/D, 3'' Zorst, Detroit Rear Locker, Efs Shocks, Rockcrawler Rear Leafs, Arb Turbo Timer, Dual Battery's, Wound up Turbo and Modified Diesel Injector Pump, Black Sunnies, 31 Bighorns, Airflow Snorkel, Unifilter

Mikey0211
Part of the furniture
Posts: 1649
Joined: May 13th, 2007, 11:38 am

Unread post by Mikey0211 » December 18th, 2007, 5:24 pm

mmmmm, I have a 98 courier and I don't have a light... Wish I did, could of saved me a long walk...

You can rely on the sound of a spluttering engine to tell you that your fuel is low..

matt.s.FC
Been here a while
Posts: 188
Joined: November 26th, 2005, 8:53 am
Location: South East QLD

Unread post by matt.s.FC » December 18th, 2007, 6:39 pm

i have 31x10.5x15 tyres on my courier for 5 years now and only had rubbing problems under full compression on the tops of my guards. then i got a 2" lift with stiffer torsion bars and have never had a problem since :) heaps of clearance. obviously were probably running different rims so i guess the offset could be why i've never had to consider trimming anything.

Mikey0211 what bull bar have you got? ... i have an arb steel bar and it gives plenty of room.

reguarding the front locker i have been told . jan/feb 08.

a little usless fact i've found out is a courier with a 2" lift has more ground clearance than a stock patrol wagon. .... i really enjoyed rubbing that into me mate until he got a 3" lift on his patrol :( LOL
'99 4.2td GU Patrol Wagon//Airtek Snorkel//ARB Bullbar//Electronic Rust System//AT Tyres//Dual Batteries//2" lift//3" Exhaust

Return to “General Mazda”