Mazda/Ranger - how different Gen4 to Gen5? What G/box?

Mazda Musings
disco_monkey79
I'm new, be nice!

Mazda/Ranger - how different Gen4 to Gen5? What G/box?

Unread post by disco_monkey79 » March 15th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Hiya

I have a 2002 Ranger (UK version), which I understand is basically a Mazda B2500 with a re-worked body, which I'm trying to learn a bit more about. They're quite popular here in the UK, but not in terms of altering/modifying. I'm hoping you good people can shed some light for me.

Firstly, can anyone tell me if the Mazda UF (4th generation) chassis is different to the UN (5th gen) chassis? Did they simply re-work the body, or did the chassis change too? What I'm after is can any/all mechanical components be swapped over easily, without chassis mods?

Secondly, I understand that Mazda in SA fitted the 3.0 Essex engine to the B-series. Can anyone tell me what gearbox was used? M15MX-D? R15MX-D? Something else? And did they use the same engine crossmember and suspension components?

I was toying with fitting an Essex to my truck (currently a 2.5 diesel) using an adaptor plate for the gearbox and custom engine mounts. However, if Mazda already did the work for me, then that'd simplify things a lot...

Has anyone retrofitted an Essex to a 5th gen Mazda/mk1 Ranger?

Thanks!

disco_monkey79
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Mazda/Ranger queries

Unread post by disco_monkey79 » March 15th, 2016, 7:00 pm

p.s. what I know as a Ranger I believe is/was known as the Courier in Aus?

Return to “General Mazda”