BT50 Winch Bar overheat motor?

Mazda Musings
sherman585
I'm new, be nice!

BT50 Winch Bar overheat motor?

Unread post by sherman585 » October 18th, 2015, 8:21 am

Hi our 2011 BT50 has just blown its second cylinder and Mazda say we have to get a whole new long motor but are unable to tell us what actually caused the problem. They have mentioned several times that they think it could have been caused by the winch and light bar that are on our ARB bullbar. The mazda dealer that we purchased the ute from 2nd hand last year sourced and fitted the ARB winch compatible bullbar and no mention was ever mad that the ute might not be able to handle having a winch on it. Has anyone one else had a problem like this with their BT50? We are so disappointed that the BT50 "4wd" cant handle a winch without dying a premature death.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Re: BT50 Winch Bar overheat motor?

Unread post by Gary_M » October 18th, 2015, 8:47 am

Guessing what they are saying is not the weight of the winch itself (these often under 50kg), more that the winch blocked air flow to the radiator and cooked it, but it would run hot before dying. If it didnt run hot, its not what caused it.

Contact a legal adviser, you may still have warranty options implied under consumer protection laws.

If not, seek mechanical advice outside Mazda.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 18th, 2015, 9:30 am

sherman585
When you say "blown it's second cylinder", what exactly is being meant there.
If only one cylinder is affected then it would almost surely be an injector problem and that has caused a destruction of a cylinder while not affecting others.

If that is the case then it has nothing whatsoever to do with the bullbar and winch.

As Gary_M has mentioned, it would have run hot and shown that on the temp gauge LONG BEFORE any failure occurred.

DID Mazda mean a second cylinder GASKET by any chance? That would mean a whole different thing.
It is not unknown for a second hand vehicle to have had a radiator hose failure and then the resulting effect from that overheating issue is hidden by the fitting of a new head gasket and the vehicle then sold ON. The new owner then has aquired the inherent problem. If overheating issues is the problem then a replacement engine would be in order to rectify the situation.

The above had happened to a mate of mine who did buy a second hand vehicle but it had a 4,000km old engine fitted and only some small worries.

sherman585
I'm new, be nice!

!

Unread post by sherman585 » October 18th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Hi thanks for your replies,the second cylinder has lost compression and the rest of them are running as per normal. The temperature gauge did briefly rise but it didn't go into the red and all we did was switch off the air cond and it quickly dropped back down to normal and stayed there. Mazda have had the ute for three weeks and have done computer analysis, wet test and taken the head apart but are still saying they don't know whats wrong with it, only that "something has given way in the engine".
They say that once we have a new engine fitted that they can then do a flow test to assess if the winch etc blocks too much air from the motor, but that is obviously after we have paid for the new motor!

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 18th, 2015, 8:37 pm

The only reasons the engine cylinder can lose compression is if the rings break, unlikely, OR a valve has burnt, OR there is a cylinder warp fault, ie, casting fault, That should be obvious when apart, OR the head gasket failed, also very obvious, OR the injector has overfuelled that particular cylinder and caused a hole in the piston, Extremely obvious, ie, injector fault,
SO
Them, having it for three weeks and can't say what is wrong, means a high degree of incompetence and avoidance of the issue. They will know what is the fault if even slightly capable BUT they will always try and blame some external items, (which others also have with no issues) as the cause of the problem.
They will always try and avoid a warranty claim.

Only one cylinder affected indicates an engine problem and not an airflow heat build up problem.
Perhaps it is the different tread depth of the rear tyres when compared to the front tread, that could be it surely.
they may agree it is too!

If the engine is apart it should be bleedin' obvious.
Oh, the crap delivered to customers by alleged experts continues to be of high volume.

Ask them if the people who are investigating the problem are fully qualified in engine failure diagnosis and what are their qualifications?
Cos' it seems they haven't got much clue from what you have reported here.

Gary_M
Been here a while

^^^^

Unread post by Gary_M » October 18th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Maybe the radiator cap wasnt torqued properly. When the fuel went into the tank did you ensure it rotated anti-clockwise? Maybe he used left handed pumps?

It does seem very suss they have no idea, but apparently they are aware it might be the bar and winch. Even if true (its not), they supplied the bar.

Im with mydmax, they are avoiding the issue and the fact they are telling such ridiculous porkies is a sure sign they know they are liable.

If it was me, Id use my phone to record a conversations with them (download a recorder app if you dont have one), set it recording before you walk in so they arent aware. Get it in writing if need be, but before pushing for that explanation in writing, see if they will repeat it with a hidden recorder. Nothing illegal about it provided the recording is done by a person that is party to the conversation, in Qld anyway. Whatever you do, do not tell them you have recorded them, it will get you nowhere and you are not obligated to tell them you have. Shake their hand introduce yourself trying to get them to identify themselves and get them to repeat the claim they are making. You never know, it may help.

sherman585
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by sherman585 » October 29th, 2015, 11:51 am

Quick update on our BT saga - Just got the injector test report back and it states "injector tested poorly but would not cause engine failure". Will continue to bang head on the Mazda brick wall!

arcticwolf
Here and there

Unread post by arcticwolf » October 2nd, 2016, 2:34 pm

Mazda don't give 2 shits about customer service (from experience)Mine failed in under 4,000k and they blamed dirty fuel , I had engineer reports ,fuel samples etc and I am a diesel mech fought for 3 years through court ,lost and would have cost mazda $30,000plus in legal fees and lost wages for a $4,000. bill
I would look for broken ring. Pull the engine apart and have a look before ordering a new motor. Winch won't cause your problem.

Return to “General Mazda”