Free wheeling hub jammed on - what to look for?

Mazda Musings
Targanon
Here and there

Free wheeling hub jammed on - what to look for?

Unread post by Targanon » December 11th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Hi guys as you may know from my recent posts. I bought a Mazda Bravo 94 4x4 recently..

OK took it out 4x4ing last weekend..Had a blast dam thing is IMO an animal.. ( the first 4x4 I have owned)

OK here's the thing ... I have just done an under body clean after my bush bashing weekend.. had get all that mud and ***** off..

OK so while I had it in the air... I figured do a grease run around all the points I could find hmmm only 8... while doing the front drive shaft I font that my left HUB appeared to be still locked so I checked no its in free position. So I checked and yes on off still locked..

so I could not disengage it.. no matter how much I tried..

so I figure lets have a look inside.. but appears to be something that the old owner knew about as one of the bolts on it is rounded off and could be undone...

So I even tried my impact driver still would not budge.

so the Question what is there to look for when I do get it open...

is it a common thing... like the CV joints I hear are a little weak..

thanks for any help you guys can give me...

oversite
Need to get out more

Re: Free wheeling hub jammed on - what to look for?

Unread post by oversite » December 11th, 2013, 9:51 pm

photos, of what you are talking about? Sorry im a little lost.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 11th, 2013, 10:46 pm

A freewheel hub contains a ring which slides over two parts so the shaft drives the wheel.
If the previous owner had it apart they may not know how it goes together and the spring is holding it in the locked position due to incorrect assembly. Has happened before.

The bolt you can't loosen should be hit on the end with a drift and hammer so the shock goes down the shaft of the bolt and loosens the grip of the thread on mating parts. Then it should be easier to remove. Usually far better than an impact wrench.

The bolt.
Use a small, very sharp cole chisel and hammer, "no music required", to carefully slice the flat hex to a smaller size and then use a socket to get it out.

Cheers
mydmax

Targanon
Here and there

Unread post by Targanon » December 12th, 2013, 6:36 am

thanks for the info...

will look into it this weekend..

let you know how I go.

Targanon
Here and there

Unread post by Targanon » December 12th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Well I have now got 2 working greased free wheeling hubs.

thanks for the help.

As it turned out the selector was not even effecting the spline cup.. as my guess is that it has been pulled apart and put back together incorrectly.. the selector now turns and pulls the cup out disenguaging the lock..

so the other was pulled apart and checked it was good but very dry so I have greased both hubs.. and tested all working very well now...

Return to “General Mazda”