Mazda Musings
Targanon
Here and there

Who to rebuild my diff??

Unread post by Targanon » November 17th, 2013, 6:59 pm

HI guys,

I need to get my diff rebuilt..

I have 94 bravo petrol 2.6

the LSD rear diff centre is out of the vehicle, I have a cheap open diff in for the short time I need to get the LSD one fixed..

So!! I live in Brisbane, near Everton Park..

I don't have a money tree growing the back yard so.. I"m hoping to do it for reasonable price..

Its noisy as hell!! so would a rebuild be possible?? I think its noisy cause the previous owner drowned it.. when we dropped the oil it was mostly water.. and muddy water at that...

Any advise would be awesome..

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Re: Who to rebuild my diff??

Unread post by TroopiePete » November 17th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Not sure on a location or place for a rebuild but possibly you should look at a diff breather extension - it need not be expensive, the most expensive part is the rubber hose then a barbed end with a brass silencer on the end :-)
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

Targanon
Here and there

Unread post by Targanon » November 19th, 2013, 7:47 pm

so far I have not even been able to go off road yet... however I see the point and have also put it on list of things to do...

However if there is someone in Brisbane that would be good to rebuild my diff that somebody could recommend. that would also be good....

Targanon
Here and there

Unread post by Targanon » November 29th, 2013, 7:55 pm

well the diff is all sorted thanks..

a diff place in bundy quoted $1960 for the rebuild... so I was Little shocked and don't have much cash right now specially as I would like to get diff lock of sorts.. even the arb diff lock seemed out of reach as they use the crown and pinion from my diff and I would need to buy new ones so the cost was going to be about $2400. so I was on my way out of bundy and stopped by the wreckers and would you believe sitting on the floor in the shop was 3 lsd diffs out of my kind of 4wd... so I picked one up its in and could not be happier for now...

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 29th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Rather than going for that rebuild, it would've been cheaper to get a new Detroit Locker centre and fitted a new a/mkt crownwheel & pinion with new bearings!! Glad you found something closer to the budget limit at the time tho, hope it works for you for a while - then you can get the Detroit in your own time.... or at least when you've saved the $$! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Targanon
Here and there

Unread post by Targanon » December 3rd, 2013, 7:07 pm

its cool I never ended up going for the rebuild...

I'm running on a second hand diff from the wreckers for now... next year after the Christmas break I'll look at the Detroit locker its sound like it might be the better option...

but for now its all working the way it should... I have a few things that need looking at first..

Return to “General Mazda”