Anyone else found their B2500 glow plugs dont last?

Mazda Musings
ppamco
Getting to know the place

Anyone else found their B2500 glow plugs dont last?

Unread post by ppamco » January 1st, 2019, 3:03 pm

Hoping someone may be able to help....
I have a 2001/2 B2500 turbo diesel single cab ute. Its very reliable with one exception - glow plugs last about 6 months and then need to be replaced. Its not like its a particular cylinder either, over the course of a year I typically have to replace 2 glow plugs. The cylinders affected appear to be random. I have checked with a meter that once the glow plug dash light goes off that there is not voltage to the glow plugs. Have also check when engine is running and again no voltage to glow plugs.
Other (non Mazda) diesel ute owners reckon they have never had to change glow plugs (and some of these utes have > 200,000 kms on the clock.
Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks
Paul

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Anyone else found their B2500 glow plugs dont last?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 1st, 2019, 3:49 pm

Are you buying OE Glow Plugs or Aftermarket Glow Plugs? And are they the correct spec plugs as per the manufacturers docs & specs?? Many a/mkt glow plugs aren't quite the right things & so deteriorate rapidly in use, and even if they are the correct spec, they frequently don't last anything near as long as the OE plugs will anyway! :purplex:

BTW, many indirect injection diesel Glow systems WILL continue to supply power to the glow plugs once the dash light goes off; the glow circuit frequently 'helps' keep the engine running smoothly by heating the plugs at least a little until the engine reaches a fair percentage of engine's ideal operating temp; sometimes measured by a specific block temp sensor, sometimes based upon the coolant temp, but almost always lasting somewhat longer than the initial 'cold start boost' that the dash light indicates.... sometimes for as long as 5 or more minutes longer (if it's cold enough anyway!!) So a failure or issue with the Glow Circuit &/or Glow Timer may well be causing the early demise of your Glow Plugs! :whyme:

Probably worth checking those! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » January 1st, 2019, 4:26 pm

My '98 model had the same plugs that it rolled out of the factory with when I sold it in 2014.

ppamco
Getting to know the place

Unread post by ppamco » January 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.
I have been buying after market replacements. Will check out pricing on OEM replacements and also check out what the manuals have to say about glow circuit testing to see if thats the issue.

Cheers
Paul

Return to “General Mazda”