1999 kia sportage locking hubs

If you've got model specific Tech questions &/or answers but you're not covered elsewhere, put them in here!
ltd_v8
Here and there

1999 kia sportage locking hubs

Unread post by ltd_v8 » June 13th, 2015, 11:37 pm

hey all i just need to know why my locking hubs aren't engaging, i found the vac lines for the auto hubs to be clogged with grease but since cleaning them they still aren't engaging

also just wanted to know how much grease do the locking hubs need because when i got the car the locking hubs weren't in because the previous fool pulled them out and replaced the bearings but never put the locking hubs in

cmar
Avid Poster

Re: 1999 kia sportage locking hubs

Unread post by cmar » June 14th, 2015, 12:02 pm

You can replace the vacuum hubs with Kia branded Warn mechanical auto lockers, some cars came from the factory that way, my wife's car has them.
In the case of the Vacuum hubs they are actually from the same supplier that supplied Suzuki, so the units are very similar if not the same. The O ring seals in the hubs need to be in good condition or they won't hold a vacuum, also check for vacuum at the end of the pipes, as there is also a vacuum switch in the system somewhere that may be playing up. Don't fill or drown them in grease as it can hinder rather than help them. Just a generous smear on all splines and moving parts is enough.
Haven't owned a 2WD since 1982.

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » June 14th, 2015, 10:01 pm

im going to replace the wheel bearings in it this week and end up getting some manual locking hubs problem solve i did how ever reverse the spring and it was on awd felt great and everything worked how it was with 4low and 4 high but the auto hub aren't working when put back to where it is ment to only reason why i took it off awd is because i didn't trust it at 110km even though other forum member has had no issues for over a year but he is in other country and aus roads are ***** and i didnt want to break something in the kia because at this moment i wish i never got it , it has turned into a money pit so far to get it up to my standard anyways

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 15th, 2015, 7:29 pm

Sorry to hear that, we bought ours 2 years old back in 2001, it has almost 300,000 Km on it now and really has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned, (I did own a lot of Fords however, so maybe my stats are biased) in almost 300,000 Km we have not replaced one item beyond the normal consumable stuff like tyres, batteries, belts etc, apart from a brake master cylinder abouut 5 years ago, a MAF sensor, and replaced the exhaust manifold with extractors earlier this year, because it was warped and kept blowing engine pipe gaskets. Really they were underrated little cars.

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » June 16th, 2015, 1:21 pm

i have so far bought full kit for ball joints and upper control arm kits replaced front and rear shocks and have put a new timing belt kit in it with water pump and thermostat it runs like a dream now better then before when i first got it but the only thing that is annoying atm is the front hubs no one apart from kia sells the seal kit for it and i need to drop the dust cover for the gearbox so i can get a mate to to hold the torque convertor bolts while i tighten the center crank pulley nut because when you turn it off the motor the motor feels like it wants to jump out and i need to get new body mount bushes cause the body moves

also i read somewhere about removing the front sway bar is this better for off road and would it have any affect on high way driving

cmar
Avid Poster

Unread post by cmar » June 17th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Did you do the timing belt yourself? If so you would know that the crank pulley isn't held on by the center nut, it is held on by 5 bolts that bolt it to the timing belt sprocket which IS held on by the centre bolt. Any looseness here is more likely to be the woodruff key on the crank, which is notorious for wearing and causing the crank sprocket to move around on the end of the crank.

ltd_v8
Here and there

Unread post by ltd_v8 » June 18th, 2015, 10:00 am

yeah there was wear on the woodruff key but i did tighten the center bolt and it is not as bad as before but still annoying how ever when i first did the timing belt and went to go undo the center bolt it was finger tight hence why i need to torque it up to correct specs or at least quater of the way to full spec on the center bolt if not i was thinking of getting a low km engine for it but it looks to be a pain in the ass to take the engine out

Return to “Other makes”