Kia Sportage-dropped a valve.... Ideas on where to go next?

If you've got model specific Tech questions &/or answers but you're not covered elsewhere, put them in here!
drew_mo
Here and there

Kia Sportage-dropped a valve.... Ideas on where to go next?

Unread post by drew_mo » September 21st, 2013, 11:17 am

Well, my 2000 LWB Sporty has dropped an exhaust valve, and now sounds like a '67 Beetle.
'Bout as much power too.... :lol:
Plus, the engine wiring looms are stuffed- apparently previous owner(s) had been mucking about chasing faults with the result that quite a few of the wiring connectors are cracked/broken. :irked:

I have a few options- bin the whole car- apart from the engine and wiring issues -the body needs some rust work done in the turret, and being from North Qld originally, the paint and trim are badly sun-scarred, A/C needs some work at some point, front hubs need converting to manual, etc.... and spend the repair money on another 4x4 wagon of similar vintage and questionable history(about $3-4 K)- or worse, a 2wd car.(Shock! Horror!) :eek:

Or, find and whack in a s/h motor and looms, and take the opportunity to do a few other things around the body and engine bay while it is out...... and have a vehicle that I know exactly where it's at condition and maintenance wise.....

I have until November when the Rego runs out to decide, as she is still running- just.....
.....but my Garmin Nuvi said........

4runnernomore
Been here a while

Re: Kia Sportage-dropped a valve.... Ideas on where to go ne

Unread post by 4runnernomore » September 21st, 2013, 8:14 pm

Drew,

Was looking online the other night for a low KM Sporty for my son in an auto.

There are plenty out there. And some for just a bit more than the 4 k mark and under 100000 km. If you have rust etc I would look at the market and trade up (to another low K Sporty).

cheers, Chris

aussiedingbat
Been here a while

Unread post by aussiedingbat » September 21st, 2013, 11:35 pm

I agree, if its shot mechanically, electrically, structurally and aesthetically ... bury it and start again... not worth the trouble,

drew_mo
Here and there

Unread post by drew_mo » September 22nd, 2013, 6:21 pm

Cheers folks- she is, er, WAS a fun little thing. Looks like burying her and moving on might be the go<sob>..........

Only just hitting 150 K now- but looks like they were hard K's.....
.....but my Garmin Nuvi said........

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » September 22nd, 2013, 6:57 pm

Dont feel bad, my work truck just said let me RIP, elect fire last week, wouldn't start on friday for ages to get me home and when I looked into it found the oil level was about 5 L above where it's meant to be , so diesel is getting into the sump, the body is rusty beyond a joke just fit new rear dumb brakes and thats it , I give up, spent 8 K on the engine rebuild 4 yrs ago,
but it has go rest now,

anyone want to buy a daiahtsu delta dual cab ute 2.8 :lol: ..... still runs :rolleyes:

Return to “Other makes”