DMAX advice.

amtravic1
Been here a while

DMAX advice.

Unread post by amtravic1 » August 20th, 2010, 9:16 pm

Hi guys,
I am seriously considering a DMAX. A dual cab ute would suit me better for work and the Isuzus seem very good value with less reports of problems compared to others.
Now, my dilemma, I have driven Range Rovers for more than 20 years and absolutely love them. My current one has done around 600.000 kms and both I have owned have been very reliable considering the use they get.
I have not driven a Dmax yet and dont know anyone who owns one. My concern is how it will perform in the bush. The Rangies have fantastic suspension and do everything easily and in comfort. I am really not into mud and ruts unless there is no choice but any Alpine Vic track I would travel on and am planning to do some outback trips.
The Rangie is always fully loaded with the back full of builders tools, long range tank, rear bar, bull bar, winch etc.

Am I going to be very disappointed with the Dmax in the bush or is it passable for the type of driving I do. I know it will not be a Range Rover and dont expect it to do the tracks so easily however I still want to be able to drive places with out winching everywhere.

Any comments would be welcome.

Ian

ajsr
Here and there

Unread post by ajsr » August 21st, 2010, 9:11 am

yes you will feel let down in terms of off road capabity.
yes dmax/colorado are a great ute but in the serious stuff the independant front and torsion bars let them down.
you cant really compare the two unfortunately in terms of offroad, as a work ute they are great.

J5
Avid Poster

Unread post by J5 » August 21st, 2010, 10:08 am

hey its no live axle vehicle but we arent talking about massive ruts here

personally i have been through a lot of stuff that i have had doubts about and made it through

mine has a locker in the rear and it goes up a lot of stuff that many others struggle with and surprises a lot of people how easily it does a lot of stuff

if you have it loaded then definatly go for the suspension with higher kg rear srpings
09 Colorado LX Dualcab 3.0 CRDI ARB Barwork , Canopy ,Safari Snorkel, Tigerz11 winch ,LongRanger Tank, GME TX3440 UHF, Rear Airlocker , Rhino Roof Racks , Steinbauer , 3inch Taipan , 265/76/16 Cooper ATR's , 2 inch OME , ScangaugeII , NightVision 180mm spots, Pirahna Diff Breathers :truck:

ajsr
Here and there

Unread post by ajsr » August 21st, 2010, 11:36 am

dont get me wrong here, colorado/dmax are great work utes and good 4wd utes and I own one but landrover 130 utes they aint and won't even come close to one if your looking for a seriously capable 4X4.

I didn't buy mine to go 4wding with im in rural consruction and use 4wd a lot to get gear in and out of work sites and I do a lot of kms a year and wanted some thing easy and comfortable and the rover is not anywere near as comfortable as a colorado/dmax .The Rover's are a fantastic 4x4 and carry well over 1 tonne in the back stock (my brother has one) but are about as modern and comfortable as a 70's cruiser, but thats also why they work.

amtravic1
Been here a while

Unread post by amtravic1 » August 21st, 2010, 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. I know the Dmax will not be as capable as a Rangie or Defender but I just need it to be able to go most places without too much trouble. I dont want a Defender 130 as my daily routine includes working on up to 10 houses a day doing maintenance in inner city Melbourne and a Defender will not be suitable. Given the choice I would buy a Disco 2 diesel and tow a trailer but a trailer is not possible where I work most of the time.
If I do decide on a Dmax it will end up with diff locks, protection plates and the biggest (tallest) tyres I can fit on it.
The biggest killer with the Rangie is the fuel use at 25 litres per 100 kms on average stuck in Melbourne traffic.

Ian

nonzero
Here and there

Unread post by nonzero » August 21st, 2010, 5:50 pm

I find mine excellent, it's powerful, comfy and it's gotten me through terrain I was really expecting to have trouble with. Your not going to be disappointed I don't think, it's just your going to have to understand it's limits which all the IFS trucks have.

PJG
Been here a while

Unread post by PJG » August 21st, 2010, 7:52 pm

amtravic1 wrote:If I do decide on a Dmax it will end up with diff locks, protection plates and the biggest (tallest) tyres I can fit on it.
Well if you're going to do that it will go most places without too much trouble. I had a V6 Rodeo with a rear locker, 2" lift and 32s and it went most places pretty easily. Our D-Max just got a 2" lift and will be getting locker and winch in due course.

Note that a cab/chassis D-Max is only 10cm shorter in wheelbase than a Def130. Turning circle suffers accordingly ;) Pickups/tubs are shorter by another 20cm, pretty much the same as the other dual cab pickups.

BowHuntr
Getting to know the place

Re: DMAX advice.

Unread post by BowHuntr » June 10th, 2015, 9:26 pm

If you are looking for a great work horse get a D-MAX 4x4. It will do all your needs at work and this vehicle has a 3.5 towing capacity..If you need to do serious 4x4 driving get a real 4x4..But you will find the D-Max will do a great job as a 4x4 and you will have heaps of fun with it.Like any 4x4 if you feel or have doubt about the obstetrical in front don't try it go a different way theses vehicle are tough BUT NOT bullet proof they will break.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Re: DMAX advice.

Unread post by Dmaxqld » June 11th, 2015, 7:39 pm

BowHuntr

You do realise you replied to a five year old thread :rolleyes:

Return to “General Isuzu”