2015 mux transfer case oil leak

muxed
I'm new, be nice!

2015 mux transfer case oil leak

Unread post by muxed » September 19th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I have noticed oil weeping from the junction of the gearbox and transfer case. Only a small amount, not enough to leave a oil mark on the garage floor. The vehicle has only done 10000 klm. The transfer case has it's breathers vented into the cavity between gearbox and transfer case. The oil could be coming from the transfer vent or front seal. I checked the TC oil level it needed 200ml topping up to filler hole. Has anyone this problem. It seemed to have happened after TC oil change with Full syn 5w30 oil and towing my caravan. Could the thinner oil been pushed through the vent while the TC was under the load of towing my caravan.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Re: 2015 mux transfer case oil leak

Unread post by Dmaxqld » September 21st, 2015, 5:48 pm

The transfer case and 4WD actuator both breath into the cavity between the transfer case and gearbox. Easy enough to check if either breather hose has oil in it so as to eliminate that as the cause.

The transfer case should not be under any load whilst towing, unless you were towing in 4WD

muxed
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by muxed » September 22nd, 2015, 8:57 am

Thanks for your reply dmaxqld
There in no sign of oil in the 4wd actuator.
I will try to reach up to the top of the TC and check that breather, just a little hard to get at.
Do you know of any problems with dmax/mux transfer cases

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 22nd, 2015, 9:20 am

Muxed

Is 5W oil the correct grade for the TC?
A 5W30 begins at 5W viscosity when at 20C and only gets to the 30 W when it is heated, (polymerization of the oil components).
It the TC isn't doing any work then there will be little heating of the oil, therefore it will remain thinner, close to 5W, and I think that is far too thin for any TC.

It will be splashing around like after shave.

Just because it is fully synthetic doesn't mean it is good for the TC or providing correct degree of lubrication.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » September 22nd, 2015, 9:32 am

muxed

The breather for the actuator is the small rubber hose poking out the back of it and going up over the top of the transfer box. Easy to pull it off the actuator and check for oil blowby.

The breather for the transfer box is on the passenger side at the front of the box. It is just a 50mm right angled piece of rubber hose beside where the actuator hose breathes into the cavity. Pull it fully off to check for oil in there.

Not heard of an actuator or transfer problem. Couple of rear main seals from a particular manufacturing period but I think that has been resolved in the factory.

muxed
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by muxed » September 22nd, 2015, 3:28 pm

Hi Mydmux
The owner manual says to use 5w30 as for gearbox and use 5w30 or 15w40 as in engine for TC. Also caltex recommend on there website the same. 5w30 c3 for gearbox and for tc 5w30 or 15w40 as for engine
I used the recommended caltex full sync 5w30 c3 for gearbox and transfer box. Next oil change for TC i will use delo 15w40.
Hi dmaxqld
Checked the TC vent pipe and no sign of oil. Like i said it's not leaking enough to leave a mark on the garage floor just oil accumulated on the TC lower fins (gussets) Maybe it's the thinner oil that i put in. I didn't notice the leak when the vehicle had the original new oil in it. Or didn't notice till i got under the vehicle to grease the tail shafts.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 22nd, 2015, 5:10 pm

Muxed
Do you get a lot of gear chatter when going slow in 1st or second gear? The torsional vibrations of the engines power delivery at low engine speed can make the teeth hammer against each other.
I think the 5W rating is too thin for that reason.

I tried Mobil 1 in my transmission and then drained some and added some engine oil of 15W40 to thicken it up. They are compatible with each other. That almost eliminated the gear chatter noise which was there..

muxed
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by muxed » September 22nd, 2015, 5:42 pm

No getting gear chatter. Used to get that in my Moto guzzi at low idle and just off idle.
When i did have to top up the TC i put in around 200ml of 15w40 oil.
Might flush out the 5w30 and put in 15w 40 and see how it goes.
I have kept a sample of the original TC oil so i will be able try to work out what viscosity the original oil is.
It seem thin when i drained it.

jazzeddie1234
Been here a while

Unread post by jazzeddie1234 » September 24th, 2015, 10:39 pm

There's no way I would put 5-30 in a transfer case unless it was Antarctica. The book entry for mine does have a 5-30 listed but all the others are 15-40 and that is what I would use. I think you are supposed to use the viscosity vs operating temp scale to work out the correct grade for the conditions.
Isuzu Dmax 2014 LSM,
Sports Range bull bar,
12,000lb winch, ome suspension, 135l poly long range tank

Return to “General Isuzu”