Automatic Locking Seat belt

Ferret59
I'm new, be nice!

Automatic Locking Seat belt

Unread post by Ferret59 » April 10th, 2015, 4:07 pm

We recently purchased a D Max & this idea of " ALR" (automatic locking restraints) in the front passenger seat is a real pain & a worry. I've contacted Isuzu & asked if there is anyway the seatbelt can be adjusted or replaced, as I to find it very frustrating and even worst a safety issue. The problem I find is, when a bigger person is in the front passenger side the belt locks & the only way to undo the seat belt & retract it fully back, its not practical to stop the vehicle every time it locks. (we wouldn't get very far) :) Isuzu claim its for the safety of children, & were'nt interested, I would have thought the backseat is a better option for the safety of children, & the front seat focus would be comfort & safety of adults? I really love my DMAX, but I really HATE the front passenger seat-belt idea. Does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone have any solutions ? another seatbelt fitted? I have tried the 'extension" seat belts but they don't fit the D-Max. Appreciate any ideas. :) :purplex:

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Automatic Locking Seat belt

Unread post by mydmax » April 10th, 2015, 7:02 pm

When is it locking?
It shold only lock when a sudden movement of belt is experienced and that flings to locks out to stop the belt as it should do.

If you then create some slack, the belt should unlock and become free once more to allow normal movement and belt lengthening and shortening as you move. Just not suddenly that is all.
A larger person will use more belt length and so movement of the belt will be more likely to lock the belt if belt travel is quicker than it is designed for. More belt out, means there is less dia in the drum and so it will rotate faster with the same belt movement, ie locking more easily.

Have you compared it to other Dmax vehicle to determine if yours is faulty or not?

Ferret59
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ferret59 » April 10th, 2015, 7:28 pm

the slightest movement locks it, the only way to get any slack back is to retract the belt completely, I've had it looked at by the dealer, they checked it over & said its normal they are all the same, he also admitted there has been numerous complaints about it.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » April 10th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Do you know if they are all the same OR taking the dealers words that they are all the same.
Big difference there.

Often a dealer can't/won't find an obvious fault, it isn't in their interest to find anything, and it is also the industry standard reply/ies to say they are all the same.

Believing dealers is a risky business. When you find,if you ever find, one who has your interests at heart, let me know.

Ferret59
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ferret59 » April 11th, 2015, 9:37 am

I agree, trusting dealers, that's why I wrote to Isuzu personally, they explained it was deliberately fitted into the front passenger seats for safety for children, I've told them it's very sensitive & in my opinion is a safety issue, the serial number of my dmax was taken. Isuzu really weren't interested. Alternatively I've been told to use a clamp or similar to keep the seat beat fully open, in the words of the dealer?? "That's what others are doing" I am amazed this hasn't been a bigger deal than I thought, just for safety, I''ve said I will pay whatever it costs to have a decent one fitted, Isuzu then said I would be tampering with the Utes safety! No win!

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » April 11th, 2015, 12:34 pm

I have read that if you fully extend the passenger seatbelt before clipping it in, then letting it retract, that this problem is resolved. Haven't tried it myself
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ferret59
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Ferret59 » April 24th, 2015, 6:17 am

Thanks, I've tried that, it makes no difference, I think I'll check out some other options for a replacement.

Return to “General Isuzu”