Any feedback on DMax lift kits?

whito
I'm new, be nice!

Any feedback on DMax lift kits?

Unread post by whito » March 19th, 2013, 11:14 am

Gday Guys, I know this topics been spoken of before, i was after any info on suspension up grades before i do any thing, please
Lift kit with, without torsion bars
A full kit like Superior engineering
Extended Shackles etc
Theres even the kits from Thailand and Great Britian
Just after any info good or bad (hopefully someones using all examples) It"s been flogged to death i know but im just starting to work on mine now. My old 80 series were to easy given the chose of suppliers.
Thanks, Whito.

evaredy
Been here a while

Re: D max lift kits

Unread post by evaredy » March 19th, 2013, 12:38 pm

I am also wanting to find out a bit more about it, I will be adding a bull bar and winch shortly and know absolutely nothing about this sort of thing.
I was wondering though about the shockies and leaf springs Isuzu have http://isuzumotorsports.com/index.php?m ... ex&cPath=2
Has anyone here used these?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Any feedback on DMax lift kits?

Unread post by mydmax » March 19th, 2013, 12:40 pm

G'day whito
If you mention torsion bars then it can't be the new model.
No need for new bars anyway, OE as good as you will need.
Extended shackles are illegal if used on a registered vehicle on road.

That leaves you with some decent rear springs and good quality shock absorbers.
The front can't be lifted more than 40mm or you pass the 1/3 left for downward suspension travel and again becomes illegal and dangerous to drive, brake and steer.

Raising the rear, you will have to pay particular attention to the uni driveline angles. Measure them stock and then you have to make sure they are even afterwards, otherwise vibes will happen.
If Centre bearing is too much angle it will shudder on takeoff. Cos uni operating at too great an angle. Destroys centre bearing mount.
It is possible to lower these centre bearing with a special bracket. Ive made a few.

So, good rear springs, wind up torsion bars, buy good shocks (OE are absolute rubbish), attend to driveline uni angles.
Who needs a lift kit? You are basically doing it if you buy a few bits anyway. Everyone seems to be trained from birth to think "lift kits" when a few items are all it needs.
As soon as you add the word, KIT, the price goes up but not the quality. Cheaper to do it yourself with individual components.

Any driveline issues, the KIT people don't/won't even know who you are and will be of no help.
Further questions ?
Cheers
mydmax

whito
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by whito » March 19th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Thanks mydmax, I used the term kit losely. All our previous vehicles have had our own "kit" assembled to our specs. Your right there!
I've never had a torsion bar front ended 4x4 before so I was after ideas. It's only to improve approach, depart and ramp over angles a bit. Nothing will increase diff clearance only tyre size.
The OE shockies don't like my bar, winch and steel steps :(

jazzeddie1234
Been here a while

Re: D max lift kits

Unread post by jazzeddie1234 » April 29th, 2013, 11:45 pm

evaredy wrote: Has anyone here used these?
Yep, get about 60mm lift in the rear on the IMS standard load leafs, shocks look like konis and quite stiff so you get minimimal roll in corners. Only down side is the length of the front shocks which seem to limit down travel at 40mm lift.
Isuzu Dmax 2014 LSM,
Sports Range bull bar,
12,000lb winch, ome suspension, 135l poly long range tank

brad152
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brad152 » July 29th, 2014, 8:40 pm

Hi guys

i have an 09 Dmax with a 2" suspension lift by tough dog and just got a 2" body lift fitted by opposite lock today. one big problem i have noticed since i drove it this afternoon is when i put my foot down (only in 1st and 2nd gear) the car makes a big grinding noise that feels like its coming from the front right hand side. Was wondering if anyone knew what it could be? i have a theory that its to do with the steering because i have increased its angle maybe? any help would be great. I am taking it back to them first thing tommorrow but i would like to know for myself. only reason why i got the extra body lift is because i fitted 265/75/16 federal couragia's that scrub.

cheers

brad

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 29th, 2014, 8:59 pm

brad152
If the steering was aligned correctly after the lift amount was fitted there should be no problems with the front end and it is unusual for noises at the front to be associated with acceleration in 1st and 2nd.

If the rear has been lifted it is highly likely the centre bearing uni is now being asked to operate at more angle than it likes and so will shudder around in it's rubber mount in 1st and 2nd under torque loading, ie, acceleration.
Not sure if that is the noise you are hearing or not.

If CB shudder is happening the Cb unit has to be lowered and usually wedges fitted to the rear axle to improve the rearmost uni angle. Both rear unis must run small angle and as even to each other as possible.

It is worth a look to see what yours is like.

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » March 16th, 2015, 3:22 pm

AAAAAANNNNNNDDDDD.

What happened.

I hate it when somebody asks about something. specially one a few would be interested. then Nothing.

Leaves everybody wondering.

Me 2010 dual D-Max. Hi-Riser.

EFS 2in lift shockers all round to cover the "hi Riser" bit.

Set of Ironman half Leaf rear springs. Just loaded. to take care of any loading in rear anytime.

Bought a pr of EFS rear leafs too. But sold to mate. Don't reckon I need 'em.

Torsion Bars ????. Still out on them only doing bitumin Bit of corrugations/marbles and boat ramp nowadays.

Pity people don't come back with results sometime hey.

Return to “General Isuzu”