What engine oil

The new ute
SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Re: What engine oil

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 4th, 2013, 9:42 pm

Those cj oils have less anti wear properties.

The series 3000 Amsoil is recommended for pre 2007 motors which is why he recommended what he did. If you look a bit more into it, the series 3000 is what you want. It has a higher TBN too.

After chatting to the Amsoil seller, Lubrication Management, he came to the same conclusion as me.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 5th, 2013, 5:15 am

Hi SSSB :)

Thanks heaps for your help. My biggest concern is the temperature I operate in which in summer can be 40 degrees + (although it's done nothing but rain for the past few summers). You're absolutely spot on about the Amsoil 3000 having a higher TBN, but I see that the Amsoil 3000 is a 5w30. I looked on the chart in my TF's owners manual (page 5-46) which has the following graph

As you can see from that graph the 5w30 will work up until 30 degrees, where as the Amsoil DME 15w40 will according to the chart work up to and over 50 degree temperature. It gets cold in SE QLD of a night in winter, but certainly not to the point where I need oil that will go as low as -35 degrees (think the coldest winter night I've experienced in SE QLD was -5 degrees at Nerang in 2007) so bearing all that in mind I don't know what way to turn :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 5th, 2013, 6:57 am

When your engine oil is at operating temp and your engines cooling system is functioning properly it really doesnt matter what the ambient temp is.

Have a read of this:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.ph ... s_articles
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » June 5th, 2013, 7:00 am

Probably the easiest solution would be to run a 5w30 from autumn though to spring, and use a 15w40 over summer. I've just stuck with a 5w30 all year round, as even though we get 40+ temperatures at time, they only happen for an occasion day or 2, most summer temps get to no more than 35. There is no problem swapping brands, or even between synthetic, semi and mineral oils, as they are all compatible and blend in with each other. Which brand and whether you go with mineral or synthetic is a personal choice.

My only recommendation would be to go with a synthetic, if only for the fact that the oil is better structured to resist shearing and breaking down, giving better long term lubrication.
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 5th, 2013, 11:31 am

Thanks once again SSBB :)

wow :eek: that's a mountain of reading but it does all make sense and I'd thought the same thing myself about water cooled engines and to my knowledge the air temp really only has to do with the way the fuel burns for performance that's why we always get better performance on a cold winters morning rather than a hot summers day. Ok so basically our water cooled engines for normal everyday driving run at 100 degree C if our cooling system is operating properly

I can only guess since our engines are/have intercoolers this would help even further by keeping the turbo temp down

I also found this handy little info sheet from RACQ if it helps anyone decipher the numerous codes associated with oils these days
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/ca ... signations

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » June 5th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Most engine cooling is done by the oil, and the oil transfering engine heat out through the sump, only part of the cooling is done by water. The water temp is a good gauge that cooling is being done properly though.

Through my OBD port, my engine water temp monitor reads around 85 degrees in winter, usually up to 89 degrees in summer. This is with high summer temperatures, and still running 5w30 oil all year round.

Ideally, I'd like my engine to run up around 91-92 degrees, but I guess it doesn't due to cooler climate (Canberra district), and running a thinner synthetic oil. But I'm happy with that.

By the way, that article is a great read SSBB
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 5th, 2013, 2:45 pm

My xr6 turbo used to run oil temp of between 100c (normal driving) and 120c and rising ( when driven hard for sustained hill runs) when i used Castrol Edge 0w40. I changed to Edge 10w60 as per castrols recommendation for modified xr6 turbos and never saw oil temps over 115c. Since i hardly drive it that hard anymore im trying Amsoil 10w40 with high zinc as it has a high flow cat anyway. Ive changed my gauge setup and its lacking oil temp for the time being anyway.

Not sure what sort of oil temps the dmax would see but its never driven that hard and since the genuine Besco is 10w30 im sure it will be fine with a 5w30

J5
Avid Poster

Unread post by J5 » June 5th, 2013, 3:53 pm

agreed mydmax

i am currently using a shell oil which is a 30W iirc 10/30

on special from supercheaps last 20%

i think i must be almost out of it though

its been great , it lasts well and oil flows quickly when cold and the chatter is gone quite quickly which is an issue with 15w oils

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 5th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Hi guys :)

I had a good talk to the Amsoil distributor in Nerang today. I've got 3 new diesel vehicles which is of course my 2012 TF LSU D-Max, my 2012 RG LTZ Colorado and my 2012 MN GLX-R Triton. Now according to the manufacturers specs I can use the same oil in both the D-Max and Triton, however the Colorado states only a SAE 5W30 Dexos 2 (which I'd never heard of)

So after speaking to the Amsoil rep for a looooong time today, he actually recommended I do the following;-

1.) Run the DME Premium API CJ-4 Synthetic 15w40 Diesel Oil in both the D-Max and Triton because the engines are built after 2007 even though they were designed prior to 2007
2.) Run the DEO Premium API CJ-4 5w40 in the Colorado
3.) When all vehicles are out of the warranty period run the DEO Premium API CJ-4 5w40 in all 3 vehicles

I'm actually going to visit the rep tomorrow in person so I will continue to talk to him over this as to why he continues to recommend the 15w40 over the AME 3000.

Just a quick question though guys, would it hurt my engine and/or warranty if I was to run the 5w40 in all vehicles now, bearing in mind the D-Max has 10,000km , the Colorado has 1900km and the Triton has 3000km

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 5th, 2013, 6:20 pm

The 2007 "switch" doesnt apply in this country, i.e there are new cars sold without dpfs

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 6th, 2013, 11:29 pm

Hi guys

Had a massive in depth chat with the Amsoil Oil rep and IUA today. Believe it or not IUA recommend using a 5w40 for "more tropical climates" with regards to synthetic oils especially Amsoil, and that CI-4 is a higher rating than CJ-4.

I still haven't made my mind up as to what way to turn, however what I will do no matter what oil I go for is get an oil analysis done after the first 10,000km.

My new question to you guys is has anyone, does anyone run a dual oil filtration system? I am considering the Amsoil set-up and even the Frantz Filters. Any pro's/con's either way?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » June 7th, 2013, 10:57 am

PSP4WD
I don't think there is anything unusual about IUA saying 5W40 is ok.
5 only means it will flow to the engine quicker at startup and it gets heated quickly ie cooling the underside of pistons, so the 40W factor will be in play as the working viscosity even though,it when hot is thinner than 5W anyway.

SSBB said AMSOIL was a Qld company, it isn't it is AMERICAN, so is Mobil and many others. They just sell it here. Amsoil might be good stuff I don't know.

If you are going to change the filter and the oil at regular intervals then I cannot see why you would fit a Franz filter.

They bleed off oil pressure, your turbo is already doing some of that anyway, to filter the bypass amount. Although they might filter and get black inside, the possibility for leaks and hose failure at some point in the engine life would mean trouble you really don't need. The extra bleed off to run the filter is probably something your engine would prefer not to have happening because it wants substantial flow at all times to provide the flow and pressure as normal, hot climates especially.

Not sure what you mean "considering the Amsoil SETUP". It is just a liquid you pour in which lubricates, not much setup in that. If it's specs are high and it is the right/acceptable price/value then OK.

If you really want to clean the oil, drain it and centrifugally spin it in a centrifugal unit and pour it back in when the oil has been cleaned.

Cheers
mydmax

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 7th, 2013, 11:39 am

I never said they were from QLD. They do their own bypass filtration set up

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 26th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Hi fellas

Hope you're all well :) Been a while since I've been on here. Been absolutely smashed with work, plus my little 7mth old doesn't leave much time for "spare time".

Ok, I have a choice of oil for my next oil change which will be;-

Shell Rimula R3X 15W-40 (First on the list for Isuzu recommended oil after Besco and has a swag of grade compliance to its name)
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 (only synthetic oil I've listed here)
Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40
Caltex Dello 400 15W-40

Any positives or negatives on any of the above?

Also gents, received my latest D-Max mag in the mail yesterday. On the back cover there is an ad for Caltex Vortex Diesel. The ad claims several advantages over other diesel fuels on the market. I'd always been advised to steer clear of Caltex fuels. Is this Vortex diesel better than say BP etc.?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » June 27th, 2014, 10:53 pm

BPS4WD

You only require a ESP if the engine has a DPF and yours doesn't, so although the Mobil is synthetic, (possibly a good thing), the ESP factor you will be paying a premium for, will be wasted.

I don't know of any advantage Rimula R3x has over the others. Any of that level of oil is good. The only reason why it is first on the list in the book is either it JUST happened that way OR Shell pays to have it first in the book. Subtle marketing there.

I use the Mobil Delvac MX and this fill has done a fair bit of round town, and highway work, no towing, and the oil at 8000km is quite clean, yes discoloured/ going black but you can still see the dipstick through the dark haze of oil. Absolutely nothing like what comes out of a Hilux engine at the same interval. I probably won't be changing it at 10,000 as the oil isn't very dirty.
This may not be the same for everyone though.

I have only used Vortex twice and the last time was after a promotion so I filled with it. Not sure why, but I didn't get as much economy from that fill as other times with other brands.

PS Do Mobil have a Synthetic which isn't ESP for you? I thought they did but may only offer it in ESP form becaue they consider anything using it will be DPF system. Not sure about that.

Cheers
mydmax

Return to “DMax”