What engine oil

The new ute
J5
Avid Poster

Re: What engine oil

Unread post by J5 » May 13th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Sticks86 wrote:How are you able to test and prove if a dealership hasn't changed your oil? Is there a sample testing place you can send an oil sample to that is affordable and realistic?

Cheers!
have a look at your diff plugs and they wont have had a spanner on them

dealer didnt touch mine at the first service despite the fill plug seeping oil they didnt bother looking at it

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 13th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Sticks86
From the factory there is paint on all bolts and filler and drain plugs. When the paint isn't broken and the vehicle has done over 20,000km it IS fairly obvious nuffink was dun. This wasn't on my vehicle.

I marked everything on mine, including wheel caps. wheel nuts, bash plate bolts, filler and drains and also a little something on the grease nipples too.
Nothing touched.

I began checking others and what is in the first line was what I found.
I also checked Mazdas, Rangers and Colorados, so I wasn't picking on any one make. Found Mazda to be sort of ok where all the others were pretty sus.

What I suspected I confirmed. Actually I knew already I just went and proved it.

mydmax

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » May 13th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Well i read the handbook which helps. I did gearbox and rear diff at around 4000km with cheaper Nulon and again at around 8000km with Amsoil.

At my 3000km service they did check a lot, i could see a different colour marker and evidence of spanners. That was Sinclair at Penrith, shame its a bit too far really but their service department is open until 11pm during the week.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

Optimark
Here and there

Unread post by Optimark » May 19th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Aussie Dan, the report you get back from the testing company, how technical is it?

I do my own servicing and am interested in the engine oil that I use, which is sourced from Western Oil http://www.westernoil.com.au/containers ... orld&id=18

Is the report just a slew of technical words, or is there a mixture of technical stuff with the addition of a synopsis?

I'm seriously thinking one of these tests could be a good idea, if not for anything else other than to give me peace of mind?

Mick.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » May 31st, 2013, 9:55 am

Can I please ask everyone as to why no one is using ELF Oils?

When I purchased my TF LSU brand new in July last year (2012) the sticker on the inside of the window said IUA uses and recommends Elf oils. I took my TF for its 10,000km 3 weeks ago to an IUA authorised dealer and they used Castrol Magnatec (which I can understand as they are a Ford dealership). Do the current D-Max's have this same sticker on the windscreen when you purchase it new?

My dad actually raised this with a Suzuki dealership a few years ago. Suzuki recommended in their handbook to use Shell oil only but the dealership used Valvoline. The dealership received a big wrap over the knuckles from Suzuki over this too.

Aussie_Dan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Aussie_Dan » May 31st, 2013, 11:11 am

oil1.jpg
oil1.jpg
[

Mick, sorry I missed your post and hadn't seen it earlier.
I have posted up JPEG screen shots of the analysis report for you to check out, as this forum won't let you post PDF files.
Cheers, Dan.

EDIT: Sorry, not sure why the first page got posted twice?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mimmo_gsr
Been here a while

Unread post by mimmo_gsr » May 31st, 2013, 12:38 pm

BSP4WD
ELF doesnt seem to be widely available outside of racing/bike circles and those that do stock it tailer their stock holdings to suit the petrol engine market. ELF being part of Total would explain this as Total has a big prescence in the Diesel Oil market here.

I didn't have that sticker on my current model DMax, the only reference I found was Besco (Isuzu Oil) inside the service manual.

Every dealership uses different oils depending on who had the best deal at the time the procurement department tendered the lube supply to the market :)

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 3rd, 2013, 1:16 am

Hi

Ok in saying that about Elf Oils, is the oil a really good quality compared to other oils on the market?

The reason I ask is previous to my 10,000km service my engine was a little quieter and smoother too. Ever since the dealership used Castrol Magnatec 15w40 it sounds noisier, down on power and using more fuel too. I'd like to know what grade of oil was used in it to start with too. Considering I'm basically in SE QLD, the temp is more often than not warm to hot albeit in winter the nights can get a little chilly but at maximum down to 0 degrees. So with that in mind I'm not sure if I should be using a 15w40 or should I go 10w40 or lower?

I don't mind spending good money on oil as I will be keeping my TF for 10yrs in which time it could possibly clock up 500,000km.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Valvoline diesel oils?

I've seen a little information in this site in regards to Liqui-Moly oils too, has anyone tried this?

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 3rd, 2013, 7:27 am

I think at minimum the oil you use needs to have BOTH CH4 and DH1 specs.

I doubt the dealer/mechanics oils would.

I used Shell Rimula r3x until 10k and then went to Amsoil 5w30 series 3000. Both meet these specs (actually the Amsoil is CI4plus).

Dont use CJ oil as its for DPF vehicles
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE

J5
Avid Poster

Unread post by J5 » June 3rd, 2013, 1:54 pm

i was getting delo400 from my mechanic and they changed to valvoline

i change Oil at 5k

i found the valvoline getting quite noisy before 5k and performance dropping off along with fuel consumption

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » June 3rd, 2013, 7:32 pm

J5

I definitely wouldn't use Valvoline, my dealer uses that and mine doesn't get serviced there. Valvoline isn't a higher class oil.
Change back to Dello400 or Mobil delvac.
My Mobil has done more than 5000km and it is fairly clean. Not dark and sooty at all, just a little bit of black.

You can use CJ oils even if you don't have a DPF, CJ is formulated to further reduce exhaust particulates coming from engine oil, maybe/will be dearer though, so no real gain.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 4th, 2013, 11:20 am

Hi guys

I just rang IUA and spoke to their tech section. I explained to the gent about having a sticker on my window when I first got it that said Elf Oils, and that I'm currently running Castrol Magnatec 15w40 have noticed a drop in performance and fuel consumption. With that in mind I asked him several questions which were;-

1.) What oil viscosity should I be running?
2.) Does IUA recommend one brand over another?
3.) Is it ok to use a fully synthetic oil without warranty issues?

These are the answers I received;-

1.) IUA strongly recommend 15w40 in all areas of Australia as their first choice of oil viscosity
2.) IUA does not recommend any one brand of oil as it would then create issues as IUA approved dealerships have their own oil suppliers and this would cause issues for the IUA warranty. IUA recommend Castrol Magnatec, Shell, Caltex and Valvoline
3.) IUA have no issues with fully synthetic oils being used as long as the viscosity is correct

So, bearing all that in mind guys which oil if money wasn't and issue would everyone be using?

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » June 4th, 2013, 1:11 pm

15 is fairly thick, which i noticed coming into autumn in sydney, 15w40 is also very cheap for dealers to buy.
The handbook says the genuine Besco is 10w30, if $$ dont matter buy a good 5w30 which is ch4 minimum and jaso dh1, like the Amsoil.

chris_stoffa
Need to get out more
Location: Wandering in the Wilderness of the Western Burbs of Melbourne., VIC

Unread post by chris_stoffa » June 4th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I have changed over to and use Gulf Western products for nearly everything now.

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/

Also helps that they are only 10 minutes from my place and with 6 vehicles to service well priced.
03 Bravo 2.5TD DCab

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 4th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Thanks mate that's great :)

Looked up the Lube Guide on GW site and they recommend this oil for our D-Max's http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/Diesel%20 ... 20Dog.html sounds alright on paper too.

I gave Amsoil a call this afternoon and they strongly recommend the Amsoil DME 15W40 Premium API CJ-4 Synthetic Oil which is here http://enginecare.com.au/products/amsoi ... gory_id=25

Return to “DMax”