What engine oil

The new ute
BSP4WD
Been here a while

Re: What engine oil

Unread post by BSP4WD » June 28th, 2014, 11:50 am

Hi mate. Hope you're well :)

The only other synthetic diesel oil Mobil offer in Australia is the Delvac 1 LE 5W-30 which you can view here http://www.mobil.com/AP-English-LCW/hea ... -5W30.aspx.
In the USA they offer Mobil 1 Delvac Heavy Duty Diesel Oil 5W-40, but it's not offered here.

I'm reluctant to run a 30 over a 40 though.

Earlier on in this thread someone made comment that synthetic diesel oils cause glazing of the bores. Others have told me it is caused by to much standing idling of the vehicle which I do a lot of with my line of work so this concerns me greatly, considering Isuzu have the B10 rating (90% of their engines last more than 500,000km before requiring a rebuild) so for me for a business vehicle that must be on the road at all times is critical I get this right and why my next work trucks will be D-Max's. In business that B10 rating is simply a no-brainer!

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » October 18th, 2015, 9:34 am

Hi guys

Just wanted to check what you guys are now using? Are some of you still using the Delo, Delvac and Amsoil or has something better come out on the market?

Reason I ask is I've been running the Shell R3 and it is terribly black at the 5000km mark. I would prefer to run a synthetic of around 10W50 but haven't been able to find one suitable with the right SAE, ACEA and Jaso specs. Seriously considering using the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 instead

amtravic1
Been here a while

Unread post by amtravic1 » October 18th, 2015, 12:04 pm

I have been using Delo 400 for 130.000 kms. Very happy with it however the depot I was buying it from was closing and I dont know where else to get at a reasonable price so after the next change or maybe 2 when I run out I may change to Mobil Delvac.
Regarding you previous post re fuel, I have used Caltex Vortex exclusively for around 150.000 kms as I have a Caltex account. No problems at all with that either although I do use 2 stroke nearly every fill.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 18th, 2015, 12:19 pm

BSP4WD, Oil is there to lubricate things AND to collect all the impurities & combustion by-products it can during its use, & the filter/s fitted to most vehicle engines can only remove the bigger lumpy bits; so especially for the oil in diesel motors (old school diesels even more so than modern cleaner running CRD units) you should expect the oil to start changing colour within about 1000 km of a change & it's MEANT to be black well before 5000 km - that simply shows that it's doing what it's designed to do!!

This is so much so that if you've got oil that's been running in just about any stock in-direct injection diesel for 5000 km that ISN'T black yet, you are probably gonna have a dead motor pretty soon!! There are some after-market filters that might keep the oil looking cleaner for a tad more than 1000 km or so, but by the time a diesel has reached 5000 km it will have produced a fair amount of 'microscopic soot' inside the cylinders that has only one way of getting cleaned out of the engine.... & that's via the oil!! 'Soot' is small particles of Carbon (the same stuff Diamonds are made up of!!) that clumps together in a range of particle sizes, ranging from almost single atom sized lumps to clumps visible to the naked eye. There is a fair bit of 'airborne soot' that gets carried out by the exhaust, clumps large enough to get blown around, but almost as much carbon stays inside the cylinder sticking to cylinder walls etc in smaller particles until it gets washed & scraped off by the oil & rings. The clumps that are large enough to do 'real' damage then get cleaned out of the oil by the filter/s but the tiny parts that make the colour change are far too small for any filter that's gonna fitted to a motor vehicle, which is why it's so important to change your oil at the scheduled intervals (or at least regularly test it to make sure you aren't leaving it too long between changes!) - too much 'soot load' in the base oil & additive package means it's getting filled with carbon & that turns it into grinding paste!!

So if your oil isn't carrying that microscopic 'soot' out & making the oil change colour, then it's going to be leaving it in the engine where it WILL be building up as sludge or caked on carbon & that will fairly quickly destroy the motor!!

The fact that your oil is black means it's working the way it should!! If you change to an oil that doesn't change colour as quickly as what you use now, where's all that carbon gone?!? Chances are it's still inside the engine & you've done the wrong thing!! : eek: Black oil is good oil in a diesel, just so long as you change it regularly before it gets too soot laden! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » October 18th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Hi Peter

I probably didn't make the best choice of words in my post. Whilst I did say my oil was "terribly black" and as you've correctly pointed out there is nothing wrong with this as it's doing what it's suppose to do. The reason I'm looking to swap to a synthetic oil is for 2 reasons.

1st one is oil sheer. My rig can be on the go for 12-16hrs straight and often at speeds between 110km-120km/hr. Being in the hot tropical climate of Northern NSW/SE QLD I'm always conscious of oil sheer and heat. Ideally I'd like to run a 10W50 because of this but I'm unable to find an oil with such specs

2nd one is that whilst I am a Shell man, I'm not happy with the noise my engine makes and the time it takes for the oil light to go out with a cold start. This is why I'd like to go for a lower spec oil such as a 10W, possibly even a 5W and why I was looking at Synthetic over mineral. I've read several reports that people are finding that the Mobil Delvac is giving owners a better/responsive engine over the Dello, whilst Amsoil is giving better fuel economy. The only choice I have I Shell products is for the R6 MS which is synthetic, however doesn't appear to have SAE ratings that the R4 X does which is mineral.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 18th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Why not get the oil you are using now tested??

I change my oil at 10,000 km intervals but I get it tested every third change; it cost me about $150 for a 'test kit' that includes 3 samples, post packs, etc so I take a sample from the used oil when I do my 3rd change & send it in for analysis. They do the analysis & send the results back within about 14 days with the details plus a 'layman's terms' description of what the results mean for my engine, how it's wearing, if it's coping with the soot load, if it's still working as the oil should for that SAE oil etc; & that covers me for 9 oil changes (although admittedly for me, that's about a years driving....) While changes over time reflected in analysis results are pretty illuminating about how the engine is lasting, they also test to make sure that the oil is standing up to its stated specs - that way you can find out if your oil is already covering you for that sort of use (the dino oil I still use more than copes & is still managing to pass it's min, max, & High Shear ratings after 10,000kms - I originally tested the oil out to 20k, but the soot load was getting up a tad!)

If you are concerned about that sort of stuff with your oil, get it tested & KNOW rather than guess or 'feel' :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » October 18th, 2015, 9:00 pm

BSP4WD
The only time a 10 weight oil is at 10 weight,ie viscosity is when at 20 degree C.
If operating in warmer climates then there is not need to have a lesser viscosity that I can see.
The oil of good quality can run for long periods, the road speed has little to do with that. Older engines run for longer and with less oil quality and doing far more revs than a Dmax at 120kmh. More like 3500 to 4000rpm for hours on end.
Using an oil which seals the ring/piston and cylinder wall interface will minimize blowby, give more power and economy while keeping the oil cleaner for longer. So, oil performance is the key and not necessarily the grade.

I know a B Double operator near me changed from Mobil Delvac MX to Mobil Full synthetic, result was longer oil changes, less oil consumption and overall, less cost for oil when combined with downtime/servicing/ frequency and oil usage costs. He saved money on the same runs to Brisbane/Melbourne return. 20,000km oil interval. monitored.

The only reason the oil shear would be a problem is if it isn't up to a suitable spec in the first place and the oil was left there for far too long and the oil began to thin down. At 10,000km changes that is not likely to happen.

You would be best to ring Mobil Lube Line and talk to the ones who know and solve these problems everyday for people in various situations of particular need.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » October 20th, 2015, 6:49 am

I'd love to ring the Mobil Lube Line number, that is if you can find one to ring.

Of interest, I know the Isuzu oil Besco was mentioned in here several times. It appears it's available from Isuzu and is known as Isuzu Nextgen Light Commercial Oil SAE 5W30, or Isuzu GNG

Also it maybe of interest to people that Shell Rotella T6 5W40 is available through GL Lubricants in Sydney too. It's a highly respected oil in the USA for diesel engines, albeit it's a JASO DH-2 instead of a Jaso DH-1. $43 for just under 4L

LST Newie
Been here a while

Unread post by LST Newie » October 21st, 2015, 11:14 am

see here and call the 1300 number http://lubesdirect.com.au/

pk11
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by pk11 » February 22nd, 2018, 11:02 am

Hi everyone,

Anyone used or has an opinion on STP 5w-30 from supercheap? It's a full synth oil and seems to meet all the relevant standards and at $9.77 for 2 litres its good value. Going in a 2011 PK 3L.

Return to “DMax”