Dmax dual cab body mounts - nut size?

The new ute
B D H
Here and there

Dmax dual cab body mounts - nut size?

Unread post by B D H » July 12th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Hi all
I've had the misfortune of having the centre drivers side body mount bolt snap off at the captured nut within the floor near the seat belt mount

this means I most likely have to put a hole saw thru the floor from above after removing front seat & carpet to remove/replace this nut after correctly locating where it would be
the problem I have is knowing what size the captured nut is in order to use a big enough hole saw thru which it can be removed

anyone know the dimensions of that nut and/or any other solutions I could consider to remedy this ?

cheers
Bryan

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Dmax dual cab body mounts - nut size?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 12th, 2017, 7:07 pm

Have you tried using some penetrating oil & a heavy duty screw extractor from the bolt head end first!! Or you could even drill out the bolt remnants with a JUST undersized drill bit & then re-tap the thread, removing the last bits of the old bolt as you go!! If necessary, you could even insert one of those ezy-thread thingies that replaces the stripped thread in the engine block... they've gotta be more'n strong enough!! :thumb:

I reckon any of those approaches would hafta be a whole lot better'n cutting a hole in the floor & then trying to get the 'captive nut' off - there's a good chance the captive nut is a square nut spot welded onto the floor pan in a couple/few places & then covered with a metal cage that's also welded to the floor pan in a few more places, so you might hafta make a bloody big hole for it to be large enough to get sufficient room in there to remove the cage, then remove the nut, & then do the replacement bit before repairing all the damage you've done along the way!! :eek:

Good Luck! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

B D H
Here and there

Unread post by B D H » July 14th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Thanks Peter
I'm hearing you regarding drilling it out from underneath, the problem being,that although the nut is captured, it also floats around a little,making it hard to drill, not to mention the ***** of a spot its in,

there's nothing to grab hold of with multi grips or similar

having said all that, I'm going to try drilling it & maybe use an easyout tomorrow If I fail,then out comes the hole saw very reluctantly
watch this space

cheers
Bryan

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » July 14th, 2017, 11:06 pm

You want to do a lot of checking if thinking of a hole saw use. The area may be double skinned and because it is a body mount may be spreading the chassis stress through the bits you cut out. You might fix the bolt issue but cause cracking of the sheetmetal around it.

Some Dmax and MUX have cracks in their inner front guards. That indicates to me the body and the chassis is tighter in some spots than others, instead of all the body mounts being neutrally loaded unless stressed by terrain and chassis torsional movement.

The lack of neutrality may be the reason why the bolt is broken in the first place.
I would be loosening all body mounts to see if one pops up or there is gaps in relation to others, while parked on a flat level surface of course.

B D H
Here and there

Unread post by B D H » July 15th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Phew!
I managed to drill & remove the broken stud with an ezy out
I was NOT looking forward to cutting holes in the cabin floor, I haven't had much luck with ezy outs in the past so this is good news

as to how it snapped off remains a mystery
anyway alls good
thanks for the input

cheers
Bryan

Return to “DMax”