Have Slideon Campers broken the backs on any DMax's?

The new ute
BowHuntr
Getting to know the place

Have Slideon Campers broken the backs on any DMax's?

Unread post by BowHuntr » March 10th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Hi guys;
My Wife and I have just purchased a New 2015 DMax 1 ton LSM just waiting on delivery. We are going to travel our Great land when the factory closes. My Q; We would like to put a Trayon slide-on or Travelander camper on her back. The Trayon @370Kg Travelander@580Kg dry which may end up being a ton. Has anyone seen or heard of any DMax breaking their backs (chassis) while carrying a load like this in the bush.We want to end up at the Cape some day. I really don't want to drag a camper or a van to the cape after looking at some for tracks.
Travelander Length 1800mm x Width 2000mm x Height 1150mm = 580Kg
Trayon Length 1800mm x Width 1830 x Height 1220mm = 370kg
I know I need to add recovery gear, tools, spare tyres, water, food, clothing, and then there's the wife's stuff and I have no idea on weight :crazy: :lol: :petrified:
I Thank you guys for any help Tech help you might have.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Re: Slideon Campers

Unread post by Dmaxqld » March 11th, 2015, 8:13 am

Firstly welcome to tne forum. Secondly, congratulations on the Dmax. A great ute but hey, I'm biased.

I have been on the dedicated Dmax forums and Facebook groups for over two years and never heard of a busted Dmax chassis. But that doesn't mean it won't happen if you have it overloaded and don't drive it according to the road conditions. You don't say if your ute is a single cab, space cab or dual cab. Obviously a dual cab is the most susceptible to chassis damage as all the weight on the tray is rear of the axle. Stongly suggest you look at getting a GVM upgrade done. Having it done prior to registration has some advantages. ARB do one, not sure if others also.

Also strongly recommend you avoid adding airbags to the rear. Google this subject or search this forum for the disadvantages of fitting airbags to utes.

Good luck

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 11th, 2015, 8:20 am

If it's a dual cab ute I wouldn't think of putting a slide on dual cab. If single cab chassis it is worth checking for sure.
There is no way to have the weight evenly distributed before and aft of the rear axle.
When there is the total or even the majority of weight behind the axle, that is when the chassis is stressed in such a way it was never designed to accommodate.
There are plenty of bent and broken chassis of various makes of vehicle and Dmax is not exempt from that.

As an addition to that, you would have to upgrade springs and the shock absorbers both front and back as the OE shocks are severely limiting ie don't work much at all with a weight on board. You will be trying to control a large amount of weight, some of which is placed higher up that optimal and so the shocks have to be able to control the MASS movement for vehicle stability and control.

Remember, any loads you attach to a vehicle will become far greater effect when off road, and the instantaneous forces of inertia raise the normal loadings on axles and suspension and chassis to 2 or 3 times the normal experienced on road.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » March 11th, 2015, 8:31 am

As long as you are under the GVM, you don't have the weight all right at the back of the vehicle and you drive sensibly, you shouldn't have an issue.

I would not do it with a dual cab though. Try to put as much weight as you can forward of the rear axles. Rear bars, extra spares, long range tanks, water tanks etc all add a huge amount of leverage if you have them right at the back of the vehicle.

You could get the chassis braced before you head away. I think a lot of it comes down to driving though - take it slowly and you will be ok. Still, you want to be inside the GVM

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

BowHuntr

Unread post by BowHuntr » March 11th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Hi guys thank you very much for your support with my question. I was going to get a Space-Cab but the office of war and peace wanted a Duel-Cab just in-case we end up with the grand-kids.. Hmm I have the 2015 D-Max LSM Duel Cab. I will be beefing up all the suspension in any case with Tough Dog heavy rear leafs (500Kg) with a 2'' lift with a long range fuel tank, bull bar lights brush bars side steps and Warn winch with rope and recovery gear. I hadn't even consisted air bags because they sit in the wrong place for a load. So with what you guys are saying and the forums I have read.I guess I will be towing an off-road camper or a van.I know what the wife would like a 44.000 MDC I don't think so.I think we will be getting some kind of camper-trailer version. now the search begins again.
Thank you heaps for your help guys.
I can't wait to hit the road when work finishes

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » March 11th, 2015, 5:16 pm

If you bought the dual cab-chassis, they at least have a longer chassis than the standard ute-tray model, so weight won't be pushed as far back. Of course the space-cab would have been better, but I see you've been convinced otherwise.

Slide-ons are certainly great, better than towing, but you need to setup properly. Get the lightest you can, and make sure you load heavy stuff at the front.

I built my own slideon, luckily I stated with a space-cab chassis. Weighs about 400kg before I fill it up. Vehicle runs great loaded up, and I've given it a good hard run, twice getting seriously airborn at 100kmh and chassis and suspension survived without a fault to be found. Not that I recommend this sort of testing. These trucks are built tuff.

Check out my RA7 buildup and camper buildup to see what's possible. I know your vehicle is a newer model, but at least you'll get the idea, and maybe some new ones to apply to your travel requirements.

Cheers
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

old4t2
Here and there

Unread post by old4t2 » March 12th, 2015, 9:19 am

If you bought the dual cab-chassis, they at least have a longer chassis than the standard ute-tray model
Can you elaborate on this. I haven't seen any reference on any data sheet which says this. So can you please point me to where you get this information from. Wheelbase is the same across all models.
Ambling along trying to keep out of trouble.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 12th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Only on the pre 2012 models is the dual cab tub and the dual cab tray chassis different.
Wheelbase 3050mm for DC tub and 3200mm for DC tray chassis.

Same same on the new models. No difference in wheelbase or chassis.

BowHuntr

Unread post by BowHuntr » March 23rd, 2015, 8:30 pm

Hi guys I really appreciate all your help with my Questions. It looks like we might be getting an MDC Expedition Cruizer FF V5 $21.990 http://www.marketdirectcampertrailers.c ... ruizer-ff/

One other Question for you guys. Would it be best to have independent coil springs with dual shockers. We would like to go to the cape among other places. I was thinking the independent coil springs with dual shockers would give me a better ride and handling on the rough stuff and giving the camper more clearance? Is this a good move
Cheers :drink:

BowHuntr

Re: Have Slideon Campers broken the backs on any DMax's?

Unread post by BowHuntr » July 24th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Thanks for all your help with the slideon camper Q/Update the with wanted to get a UEV490 camper trailer. The Dmax tows it like a champ. Been to the Flinders Rangers a few times. Still setting up the DMax for the big trip to the Cape
Cheers Dave

Return to “DMax”