Oil/Soot from exhaust

The new ute
bribiedave
I'm new, be nice!

Oil/Soot from exhaust

Unread post by bribiedave » November 1st, 2014, 6:42 pm

Have a 2013 LSU. I have noticed the last day or so, alot more soot/oil from the exhaust. I know it is normal to get a small amount of soot but this has a slightly more wet feel to it, more like oil. The pic shows how much is coming out after just a quick start of the car, a few revs, and then turned off after 10 secs or so. There is less than this on my driveway from the first 12 months since I bought the vehicle. I'm a mechanical moron. Any ideas ?? Image

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: Oil/Soot from exhaust

Unread post by hoyks » November 1st, 2014, 7:18 pm

Are you using oil?
Is this the 1st start in the morning?

When you burn hydrocarbons you get CO2 and H2O. While the engine is cool then the H2O condenses to water and mixes with the carbon in the exhaust system and you get that black damp stuff coming out the back. If there is oil in the mix the oil will soak into the cardboard and give each black spot a halo that won't dry out in the sun. Do the spots have oily halos?

Try it again when the engine is warm and see if you get the same result.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 1st, 2014, 7:34 pm

Rule one.
Don't rev the engine when you start and it will not expel much at all because the turbulence and gas speed in the exhaust won't pick up the black loose wet stuff.

I have been starting my 2011 model in the same spot for more than 3 years and it doesn't mark the concrete at all despite the exhaust facing 45degrees downwards.
Any loose stuff is then expelled when I accelerate after leaving the premises.

Why do you want to give it a rev anyway? What does that prove or do for you. It is a diesel with Electronic controlled injection, it WILL determine what it requires to make it run when cold.

Even ECU controlled petrol engines are the same, no revs ever required at or around startup time

bribiedave
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bribiedave » November 1st, 2014, 7:45 pm

Hoyks - wasn't the first start of the morning. I had earlier in the day reversed the Dmax up the driveway into a spot I normally wouldn't . This was after approx 1 hr driving. Later in the afternoon I noticed "oil" on the driveway in this spot - not as much as on the cardboard, but still more than I've ever seen from it. To compare, the spot I normally park the Dmax in the garage for the last 12 months has about half of the oil/soot as what there was from today. I just checked the oil now, just a smidgen below the full mark. Was only serviced 10 days ago (20k), so haven't checked it since then.

bribiedave
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by bribiedave » November 1st, 2014, 7:49 pm

mydmax - I never rev the engine at all when I start it. As mentioned (see my further post) car was warm when it occurred. Only gave it a quick rev this arvy to test that it definitely was coming from the exhaust. Like I said have had virtually none of this for the first 12 months. Just last couple of days got way more than the last year combined. Like I said mate, I'm a mechanical moron, hence why I'm posting on here, so I don't unnecessarily have to go to a dealer.

scruffy 01
Here and there

Unread post by scruffy 01 » November 2nd, 2014, 12:23 am

Hi, try going for a long drive on the freeway for a proxy 100ks and then see if the same amount of soot appears. Bob
Travelling around Australia enjoying retirement

trip01
Here and there

Unread post by trip01 » March 23rd, 2017, 8:09 pm

We had the same thing with our 2012 sx auto.
After we installed the munji it stopped and hasn't re occurred. :cool:
Kind Rgds
Dave
Isuzu D-Max 2012, SX Space cab chas, auto, u/floor sound proofing, trip batts, ext fuel filler hose, munji, catchcan, couplertech rust, h/top canopy, under tray boxes, 63ltr water tank, pump, 265 70 17, 30mm lift.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » March 25th, 2017, 8:29 am

trip01
What is a munji?

trip01
Here and there

Unread post by trip01 » March 28th, 2017, 7:08 pm

Munji is EGR disable cable. In lieu of blanking plate.
After installation, noticed no flat spot when plant foot for quick take off. (Ours is auto) And no more wet soot from exhaust at startup. ;)
Kind Rgds
Dave
Isuzu D-Max 2012, SX Space cab chas, auto, u/floor sound proofing, trip batts, ext fuel filler hose, munji, catchcan, couplertech rust, h/top canopy, under tray boxes, 63ltr water tank, pump, 265 70 17, 30mm lift.

Return to “DMax”