Does 2013 Dmax traction control turn off in low range?

The new ute
fullbost
Been here a while

Does 2013 Dmax traction control turn off in low range?

Unread post by fullbost » December 5th, 2013, 7:33 pm

Hey,
Just a quick question may seem silly.
It seems that the Dmax traction control system get completely turned off when in low range. Does this mean I will just have an open rear diff when 4wding?\
thanks

BrAdAsS
Been here a while

Re: Does 2013 Dmax traction control turn off in low range?

Unread post by BrAdAsS » December 6th, 2013, 8:57 am

If electronic traction control is turned off in 4-low, the diff's mechanical action will still be active regardless.
If you have an LSD it will work like an LSD regardless of traction/ESC.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 6th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Traction control models don't have LSD diff do they? just open it seems.
So, what fullbost is asking/suspects is probably true.

I can't find the brochure I had,but from memory it didn't mention them having an LSD with ESC and TC. Possibly some conflict there in the way they interact I imagine.

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » December 10th, 2013, 11:05 am

The traction control definitely turns off when in low range, and then there is no LSD in the read, but all the same it obviously still has drive to rear diff and remains a full 4wd. It's not like its just an open diff that does nothing. But because of this I was thinking of an arb rear locker would be the go.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 10th, 2013, 12:57 pm

N.T.
If TC turns off in low range, yes it will have drive to the rear diff and then it is only a two wheel drive vehicle.
You said, "It's not like its just an open diff that does nothing".
What do you think is in there? How do you think the power gets to the axles????
As far as we know it is exactly that, an open diff which will ultimately drive one rear wheel and the front is open which will ultimately drive one front wheel.

I cannot see why the TC would turn OFF in low, because other vehicles use the TC instead of a LSD or locker diff.
Why would Isuzu render their vehicle far less capable than the opposition????????? Doesn't make sense!

Jeeps had trouble with the TC not programmed properly and the TC would dig themselves into the sand in some circumstances. They definitely do use TC in low.
A Prado doesn't go far in sand without it's TC operating.

knoath05
Been here a while

Unread post by knoath05 » December 10th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I used 4L on Frinday and I thought it was only the ESC that turned off, still using the TC to deliver grip to the spinning wheel... couldn't flex enough to try it out though.

mattscuda
Getting to know the place

Unread post by mattscuda » December 10th, 2013, 4:51 pm

As far as I can understand it and I could be completely wrong is that the TC is turned off when in low range as the system needs the slip in the driveline so the 4wd system will allow the brakes to lock the free spinning wheel and allow the other to get the power.

This is why the Dmax has an open diff and no LSD or Locker. If the traction control was turned on it would just stop the system from working and allowing you to get that grip to get out.

azzad
Avid Poster

Unread post by azzad » December 10th, 2013, 6:14 pm

mattscuda wrote: the 4wd system will allow the brakes to lock the free spinning wheel and allow the other to get the power
I think you just described traction control :D

Dazza

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 10th, 2013, 7:12 pm

knoath05 is on the money and accurately observing what is happening.

mattscuda.
What you have said is all to do with the vehicle but not what is happening at all.
The 4wd system provides a drive shaft to the front and rear which both spin at the same speed and it drives an open diff both ends, a Maximum of two wheel drive, UNLESS the TC detects a spinning wheel ie (the one with no traction at that instant), and operates the abs system to provide brake pressure to the spinning wheel and either slowing it or stopping it.

This action causes the differential mechanism to direct torque to the other wheel, the one with grip. If it slips then the power flow is back to the other side and that one gets braked.
This happens on both front and rear wheels, ALL while it is in 4wd.

The 4WD system has no association with the traction control system. Entirely different entities, they just happen to work together and complement each other for a particular purpose, TRACTION.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » December 10th, 2013, 7:59 pm

ESC is turned off automatically when engaging 4WD low range. Traction control is not turned off. It's in the manual if you want to check.

Also there is a pommie video showing how it works on youtube somewhere.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » December 10th, 2013, 9:12 pm

mydmax wrote: I can't find the brochure I had,but from memory it didn't mention them having an LSD with ESC and TC. Possibly some conflict there in the way they interact I imagine.
my xr6 turbo has LSD with ESC and TC. TC is really for starting off from a stop, ESC is for keeping the car from spinning while cornering at speeed in the wet or cornering under power and the LSD is for hektik burnouts and dorifting when you turn ESC and TC off.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » December 10th, 2013, 9:54 pm

TC on a 2wd XR6, although similar system isn't quite the same as TC on a 4wd where the braking is trying to coordinate the traction of 4 wheels to give forward movement.
The Ford TC probably drops engine output to assist in wheel spin control but it isn't a "turned off" condition being in question, it is when the TC is on.
The braking of the spinning wheel will be doing similar to what an LSD would be doing. ESC when active may do assymetric braking for yaw control. It may be braking a front wheel with grip and a rear with less grip at the same time and also looks at where you are trying to point the front.

Jer2000
Been here a while

Unread post by Jer2000 » December 11th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Well thanks to you guys I read my manual again. I knew I could turn off the traction control in high range by pressing the button. I must have missed the bit about holding the button in for 5 seconds, which also switches off the ESC!

The ESC has been a bugbear of mine since I bought my LS-M earlier this year. There is this one big roundabout that I drive through on my way home, and you can take the left turn at some speed, totally safely and below the speed limit. It's not a 90 degree turn, it's a sweeper, if that makes any sense - in below link, I am driving south and turning left i

It's been pissing me off that everytime I try it in the D-Max the ESC kicks in and it retards the power until I've pretty much completely straightened up. Really really annoys me.

This arvo driving home with ESC off I hooked into the roundabout and wallah! Kittens didn't die, Jesus wasn't resurrected and my D-Max didn't roll over! I was able to turn left through the roundabout with some speed as I've been doing for the past 20 years and multiple cars!!!!

(Yes, it's the simple things in life!!!! :lol: )
Last edited by Jer2000 on July 29th, 2014, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » December 11th, 2013, 10:31 pm

mydmax
My friend you have the entirely wrong idea about traction control, you asked me ''what do I think is in there how does it get drive to the axles'' its called a diff. Your rear diff will send drive to your axles and so will your front one while engaged in 4wd IT WILL NOT BECOME A 2WD VEHICLE. How do you think 4wd's were 4wd's for the last 50 years when traction control was not around???

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » December 11th, 2013, 10:35 pm

My God My Dmax I just read the rest of your post, please do some research before you post. It is not rendering the vehicle much less capable it is still a 4wd in 4wd. The issue you talk about with the Jeeps having issues in the sand with their TC is because the TC is turned on!!!! If you have TC turned on in the sand YOU WILL GET BOGGED!!!!! This is why Isuzu don't make it an option in low range because terribley miss informed people don't read or research and they use TC in the wrong situatiuons and get bogged and blame the manufacturer as you are doing now.

Return to “DMax”