Brand new Dmax cruise and traction control issues.

The new ute
N.T.
Been here a while

Brand new Dmax cruise and traction control issues.

Unread post by N.T. » November 26th, 2013, 9:17 pm

Hey all I'm chasing a bit of advice regarding our brand new Dmax we just took ownership of.
Firstly we absolutely love it and are very happy with the choice. But a few issues have popped up. I
did a few tests today so I haven't had a chance to ring the dealer (that will be first thing tomorrow) and have found a few things seem suss. Firstly with the traction control on I can take off fairly gently on a dirt road with a little more accelerator that normal (definitely not a throttle stab) and both the wheels spin a lot until it changes gear. Should this happen with traction control or esc on??? I thought the idea was it sensed wheel spin or loss of traction and stopped it.

The second issue is the cruise control runs rough when you set it to a speed say 60kph and it comes across a slight incline it the road, it slows down then drops a gear revving hard to get back up to 60 then as soon as it hits 60 which it does quite fast if I;m still going up the incline it losses speed again until it drops a gear again in a mad dash for 60 once again. And then to my dismay I found the cruise doesn't use the brakes at all. I set it at 60 went down a fairly decent hill and it ran away to 110kph in a 60 zone.

While we love the ute wasn't exactly what we were expecting on day two. :(
has anyone else experienced this??

Jer2000
Been here a while

Re: Brand new Dmax cruise and traction control issues.

Unread post by Jer2000 » November 26th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Presume N.T. that your D-Max is an auto? This sounds like an auto gearbox <--> sensors thing. My 2013 D-Max is a manual and of course, it stays in whatever gear I set it in when on cruise control. Same with when offroading and encountering the limits of the traction control and the other systems. No problems there.

When on cruise control, it does not apply any brakes. So the speed can run away. I don't know of any cruise control of any manufacturer at all that applies the brakes in normal driving! Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's certainly not common to apply brakes.

The exception is low range 'Hill Descent' type systems. Which do apply brakes and other things to slow you down. Even my wifes 2008 Captiva has this!

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » November 27th, 2013, 7:15 am

Every vehicle I have ever driven with cruise control applies the brakes, every one. Including my brothers new 35k triton and my 1990 ford fairlane and my mums holden astra. What is the point of cruise control at all if you are in a 100k zone on the highway and you come across a very long slight down hill hardly even noticeable and you get booked for doing 110kph. There would be no point to cruise control if at every descent on the highway you have to tap the brakes to cancel cruise control then reapply it every 3-5 mins. But if your dmax doesn't have it then I'm starting to fear none of them do. I would be very disappointed if this were the case. As for traction control my wheels should not be spinning with such slight acceleration in gravel road I would of thought ???

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 27th, 2013, 8:06 am

Maybe some vehicles do apply the brakes to control overrun but I have never heard of that before now.

Some auto vehicles do/can downshift the auto to provide retardation when brakes are touched, but the cruise acting on the braking system I am totally unaware of and never seen it mentioned or experienced it when driving auto cars.

If it was a feature I'm pretty sure it would be a selling point used by salejerks at the point of sale and the general public would know of it too.
Upwards speed cruise control of applied power but the overrun at present unknown of.

A new one to me.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » November 27th, 2013, 8:31 am

Mate my 2011 D-Max doesn't apply the brakes, and it too speeds up going down hills, and my little auto lancer and manual VF SSV Redline and manual VF GTS do the same thing too.

Easiest thing to do N.T. is simply pop it back to the Stealership and let them have a look over it. You actually just might have a faulty ABS/Cruise control module. I know on Commodores the ABS/Cruise control module is responsible for the traction control as too of course the cruise control and ABS. You don't have any or a lot of lights flashing up on the dash and the AC shutting down at all?

Jer2000
Been here a while

Unread post by Jer2000 » November 27th, 2013, 11:31 am

You are mistaken about the cruise and brakes NT - with the exception of 'Hill descent control' type modes, usually in low range, which do apply brakes to keep the speed down.

You own a Fairlane, and so did I, a 91 NC Fairlane Ghia, and it never applied brakes downhill when on cruise and would run away. Same for all my other 6 cars that have had cruise - Toyota Avalon, Toyota Camry, Falcon Ute, Falcon XR8, Commodore SS and Captiva.

I would certainly find it useful if it did this!

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » November 27th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Thnx for the replies n help guys, No error lights coming on at all, I'll contact the dealer and check with them. I'll also ask about the traction control if it should be spinning wheels. My dad told me today his Pajero holds its speed to keep the speed close to what it was set at on cruise while going downhill he also explain that this is why it's called cruise control and not cruise out of control :) But I could be dreaming I'll look further into it. Thnx again

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » November 27th, 2013, 5:32 pm

its not applying brakes its either dropping down a gear (my xr6t) does this or switching overdrive off.

there is a limit to all traction control devices, try the same level of acceleration on wet tarmac instead of gravel, it will probably be more effective. In most situations, you don't really need fast acceleration from a standstill on loose surfaces. once going though, around slippery corners etc its DSC, not TC which comes into play.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » November 27th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Yeah I went to my brothers this arvo to drive his triton 2012 $35,000 just to make sure I wasn't dreaming and yes his triton will NOT run away from you down hill on the road it holds up quite nicely and my dad confirmed his 2011 pajero does the same. So it does and can happen. I'm just bummed that my $45k rig doesn't have this feature. Thanks SSBB for confirming your XR6 also does this on cruise control and your advice on the traction control the dealership said nearly the exact same thing this arvo.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 27th, 2013, 8:39 pm

NT
SSBB DIDN"T confirm what you mentioned, he said his XR6 DIDN"T apply brakes.
Just because a vehicle may not run away, as you mentioned, it may be something else which is controlling the speed and not brakes.

The only way the brakes can work to do that, is if the ABS begins to run and is triggered somehow, when that happens the ABS light will come on/flash as many vehicles do because the ABS electric pump has begun operation.

Re read SSBB's comment to determine what he mentioned. It may differ from what you think he said.

tombj42
Here and there

Unread post by tombj42 » November 28th, 2013, 12:10 am

NT: If your previous vehicles, and your brother in laws vehicles used the brakes to pull the vehicle up, then they would have turned the brake lights on to warn other road users that the brakes have been applied. turning the brake lights on in 90% of vehicles will turn off cruise control.

They may be using a mixture of throttle control, and gear selection to limit the engines acceleration when going downhill. My Dmax does not accelerate excessively down hill while on cruise. However my cruise works a lot better than your description, mine hardly changes gear. So it sounds like you may have a fault in the cruise control system. Best way is to go for a drive with someone from the dealership and demonstrate the poor operation on an incline and see what they say.

If both rear wheels are spinning it is safer to not apply traction control to stop this. If you are pulling off a gravel road onto a highway, you need to pull onto the highway at a decent speed usually to not be a danger to other road users. The application of traction control would significantly slow the speed at which you are pulling out, potentially leaving you stranded in the middle of the road. The bias in the traction control system, as i have found it, is to limit differing wheel speed side to side, most cars can get up to 30km/hr difference front to rear before Traction control kicks in.

Tom.
2012 DMAX LSU space cab. XROX bar, 4"lift, 285/75r16.

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » November 28th, 2013, 7:00 am

O.K. my bad!!!!, the term brakes is what I have used to describe the car slowing/keeping speed down hill for a lack of a better word. I don't really care how the car does it, but not all cars run away at large increased speeds going downhill when the cruise control is set, actually I'll go as far as to say most don't.
Tombj42 thank you for confirming that your Dmax doesn't run away excessively downhill this actually helps a lot as I was sure there was something wrong but couldn't get an answer. I can see it was my terminology i.e using the word brakes instead of throttle control or gear selection. But in the end the question was answered, most drivers set cruise control to avoid speeding tickets not to get one?? and what would be the point of even setting cruise control if you had to cancel it and reset it at every decline you came across?? It would be less of a hassle just to keep it turned off.
Tombj42 what year model is your Dmax ???
Thnx again for the replies and advice peebs.

Scott10
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Scott10 » November 28th, 2013, 8:08 am

Hi NT, new to all this, and have just bought a new dmax LSM myself , just a stab in the dark but when you say the cruise control changes up and down at around 60, it may be at that point where it has to change. Not many people would use the cruise at 60 more like 80 and up have you tried it at these speeds. Interested to see what the dealer says.
Cheers

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » November 28th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Update, Went out with Dad to show him the problem and it decided to work!!!!! So the first three days no good then for the first time today (and three times after that) it worked fine. So it is definitely something I have to keep an eye on to mention at the 1000k service. I set the cruise at 100kph and went down the biggest hill in town and it held me at 100 the whole time.

Scott10 yeah I was thinking maybe at sixty its sitting near the normal gear change anyway, more tests uphill at 80kph and 100kph were much smoother. My main concern was failing to slow me down on the otherside which it failed to do numerous times until today.

Jer2000 your Dmax should not be running away down hill, if it is there is a fault. And I can also guarantee my 91 fairlane also did not run away down hill. With in exceptions of say 5-8 ks is O.K. but a complete free roll definitely not.

tombj42
Here and there

Unread post by tombj42 » November 28th, 2013, 8:25 pm

N.T. wrote: Tombj42 what year model is your Dmax ???
I have had an August 2012 delivered, so would have been one of the first ones out, and i now have a december 2012 build LSU auto. I believe that the newest transmission/CC mapping is slightly different, but have not driven a brand spanker to test.
2012 DMAX LSU space cab. XROX bar, 4"lift, 285/75r16.

Return to “DMax”