Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

The new ute
hermeneutist
Here and there

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by hermeneutist » January 8th, 2015, 8:02 pm

mydmax wrote:.Hermeneutist
It can't possibly be a '15 if it isn't made in '15. No way.

Although dealers claim it is the '15 model unless made AND plated in '15 it is definitely a '14 model :boggle:

It may happen to be the same specs as the soon to be produced '15 models but it can't be a '15 until after January 1st '15.

A model claimed as a '15 model will always be seen as a '14 by any car dealer or motor trader and the value of it is according to that fact.
Well my MY15 D-Max was built in the year 2557 BE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_solar_calendar.....

Anyway, I am quite happy with my 2014 built, MY15 D-Max and it was great on the long drive for the Xmas holidays. Only thing I am still getting used to is the clutch bite point and the lack of feel compared with the heavy duty clutch that I had in my 2000 Rodeo. I'll get used to it I'm sure.

hermeneutist
Here and there

Unread post by hermeneutist » January 8th, 2015, 8:23 pm

FJRider wrote: ....
I will fit a Winch Bar and Winch thinking about a Xrox bar ,I will be trying to keep weight down as much as possible , the Xrox looks lighter than some of the others , any suggestions of another bar .
I would be interested where others have fitted UHF radios and Dual Batteries

Regards Jacko
Hi Jacko,

Have you considered a "Smart Bar" http://www.smartbar.com.au/? Anyone else fitted one to their D-Max? They get a good rap from fleet owners who have multiple vehicles on outback roads, weigh a lot less than steel and are a lot friendlier to pedestrians and cyclists.

Also interested to know what UHF's are popular and where to put it.

Cheers,
C

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » January 8th, 2015, 8:27 pm

IUA will be happy to hear the Dmax last more than a couple of thousand years I am sure. They want to sell more not have them last too long.

FJRider
Been here a while

Unread post by FJRider » January 9th, 2015, 10:11 pm

hermeneutist

My Dmax should be ready to pick up next week . I don't think there is a Smart Bar for the Dmax yet , might send them a email , I would be interested in one
as for friendlier to cyclists. they shouldn't be on the bloody road but yeah I know ya cant run the buggers over

I'm getting the ARB GVM upgrade , I went for the heavier springs front and rear , perhaps I had better not try and save to much weight
Jacko

jazzeddie1234
Been here a while

Unread post by jazzeddie1234 » March 9th, 2015, 11:57 pm

Thanks for stirring up my pocket - I went down today and put a deposit on a new LSM because the price was very attractive given the current run out sale bonuses.

Should be here in a week or 2. I might keep the 2009 for a few months to complete a couple of longer 4wd trips. Now is there room for 2 in my garage....
Isuzu Dmax 2014 LSM,
Sports Range bull bar,
12,000lb winch, ome suspension, 135l poly long range tank

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » March 10th, 2015, 6:27 am

Congrats mate. Enjoy

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » March 18th, 2015, 1:42 am

That smart bar looks ok.

But. Look what they put it on. What a waste of a good bar..

fordongas
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by fordongas » May 13th, 2015, 5:44 pm

I wont buy a Dmax again. The engine driven vacuum pump failed , the pump vanes pulverized and ended up in the sump partially blocking the engine lubricating pump suction filter.The main problem was loss of brakes going down a dirt track ( dont believe anyone who says you still have brakes without vacuum )
My vehicle is a 2010 Dmax Dual cab with 110,000Ks.
I dont think a major engine component should fail at 110,000ks, mine is not the only one to fail if you look at other forums you will find other failures including a picture of one that busted the vacuum pump casing.
Isuzu didnt want to help in any way!Cost about $1200.00 to fix

The other problem has been a sticking EGR valve, this causes the vehicle to go into "limp home mode" It has since been cleaned & hopefully this particular problem has been fixed.

I dont really trust the vehicle anymore as I dont know if the Pump or EGR valve could fail again & I have to limp home from the back of beyond

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » May 13th, 2015, 6:27 pm

fordongas

Gees mate, that is not good. Sorry to hear of your problems.

Could you point me to the "other forums" you refer to above. I thought I was on all the Isuzu forums and must have missed these other reported problems. Thanks

fisherman322
Here and there

Unread post by fisherman322 » May 14th, 2015, 8:10 am

I believe the EGR valve is one item which should be taken off and cleaned every 25,000klms or so, it was one of the first things along with the throttle body I did, when I purchased my 2011 Dmax with 87,000klms on it.
Jeff

fordongas
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by fordongas » May 14th, 2015, 10:22 am

Please see links for faulty Dmax Vacuum Pump

http://site.motortrader.com.my/Cars/For ... em---.aspx

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php ... odeo-dmax/ ( See post No3 )

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the EGR valve every 25,000K

Do you know if this applies to all diesels or just the 3Ltr DMax engine. I,m looking for my next 4WD? In any case it it WONT be a DMax ?

Thanks

fisherman322
Here and there

Unread post by fisherman322 » May 14th, 2015, 11:53 am

I would clean the EGR on any new common rail diesel, I would much rather do is in my garage then out on the back tracks, the EGR on the Dmax is fairly easy to get at, and after you have done it one or twice it doesn't take that long to do, to me it`s just a part of servicing, hopefully my 2011 model has the upgraded vacuum pump. I don`t think it matters what brand of 4wd you buy, most have their own problems? just read the other sites.
Jeff

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » May 15th, 2015, 7:48 am

Thanks for the links fordongas. So on all the forums, you found two (2) other examples of an exploding vacuum pump. Gee you were unlucky.

As for cleaning the EGR valve, that is something common to all modern diesel engines. The EGR is one of the anti pollution devices fitted to all diesels. Some makes suffer carbon build up more than others, the Dmax not so much.

Good luck in your search for a new vehicle.
Last edited by Dmaxqld on May 15th, 2015, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » May 15th, 2015, 9:20 am

fordongas
As a matter of interest, what oil brand and viscosity did you use use in the Dmax and what were the oil change intervals?

Since the vacuum pump uses oil to seal itself to pump air, the oil quality and change intervals are important as it is for engine life too.

fordongas
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by fordongas » May 15th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Re Faulty Dmax Vacuum Pump

About the comment " you found two (2) other examples of an exploding vacuum pump. Gee you were unlucky"
I wasn't looking for other examples I was looking for info on what repairs were required & came across these guys ( total of 4 failures including myself )
I can assure you the the 4 guys that I know of that ended up with no brakes certainly considered themselves unlucky. I can do some more research if you want to see who else has had this problem?

Re the oil & filters they were done every 10,000K without fail from new.
The oil used was Shell Helix HX7 AJ 10W-30 up till 90,000K ( The dealer used the Shell) then the last 2 changes: Caltex Delo Multigrade 15W-40

No oil has been required between changes, I dont think the problem was due to bad lubrication as there would have been other engine problems?
I did notice the engine was quieter when cold when we changed to the Caltex

Return to “DMax”