Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

The new ute
Rexxpro
Been here a while

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q & A's & any feedback go her

Unread post by Rexxpro » August 27th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Hi all

Can anyone post a photo of the stereo in the current model D-Max please.

I am picking up a new X-Runner next week from Qld (currently in ACT) and the dealer said it has a micro usb port but doesn't come with adapters or cables.

Need to confirm what usb socket is in stereo so I can have songs on trip back to ACT.

Thanks
Nigel

B-Max
Here and there

Unread post by B-Max » August 28th, 2014, 7:55 am

Have a look at this thread over yonder - http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 0e39885692

Think it is the same one and they got them from eBay for around $3.00. Might be a bit late for your trip but.

Not certain if bluetooth might work. :frog:

Jer2000
Been here a while

Unread post by Jer2000 » August 28th, 2014, 8:06 pm

If you can't get one of those mini usb adaptors, you can always get a 3.5mm male:male cable from somewhere like Dick Smith or Jaycar. One end into the headphone jack of your phone, the other into the aux-in port of the D-Max stereo.

You'll at least be able to play your tunes that way.

Rexxpro
Been here a while

Unread post by Rexxpro » August 30th, 2014, 12:33 am

Thanks for the info.
I bought one from ebay which hopefully will arrive on Tuesday.

I presume the stereo will play mp3s. I may have to put a heap of them onto a cdr just incase adapter for usb doesn't arrive.

JOK3R
Getting to know the place

Unread post by JOK3R » August 30th, 2014, 7:55 am

plays mp3 cd's, and also has a mini USB port and aux in (headphone jack)
2014 LS-U, Rhino liner, ARB canopy.

BruceDownUnder
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by BruceDownUnder » September 4th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Newbie here thanks guys (gals?). Choice of new vehicle purchase has come down to a 4x4 Dmax LSU Crew Cab or HiLux TwinCab. SR5. Both 3.0D Auto. 17" wheels.

Need to tow median size van long distances. Have read quite a few bad forum reports on the HiLux re high revving of the engine when auto locked in 4th (direct drive 1:1) on the current 2014 model (or 3rd 2012-13 models). O/D not recommended it seems as a general principle when towing. Thoughts?

Does the Dmax suffer similar problems of revving too high or over-heating? Read some recommendations of oil-cooler post fit here.

Your personal feedback would be gratefully reviewed before I pass over my hard earned A$$.

Thanks
Bruce
Alice Springs, NT

Rexxpro
Been here a while

Unread post by Rexxpro » September 4th, 2014, 11:40 pm

Picked up my x runner today.

Awesome ute but
1. Stereo is mini usb not micro like dealer said. Grrr

2. Air con does not work. Compressor does not cut in at all. Lucky it had to go back tomorrow anyway to get opposite lock winch bar fitted.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » September 5th, 2014, 5:34 am

BruceDownUnder]

No issues towing with the current model Dmax and 5 speed Aisin auto gearbox. Both motor and box are bullet proof. I tow a heavy camper and a mate tows a 2.5t van. Both of us just stick the box in "D" for drive and enjoy the trip :) The previous model with the 4 speed auto had a small number of reported issues with the auto tranny over heating but in all cases (that I have read about anyway) occurred under extreme conditions, e.g. big loads, high ambient temps, slow speeds in 4WD, etc.

B-Max
Here and there

Unread post by B-Max » September 5th, 2014, 9:37 am

Hi BruceDownUnder.
Just back from a trip to Esperance and back home via the south west towing our 2500kg full van.

D-Max does it no problems. I have found that towing in D will get you there but as I drive with cruise control whenever possible, I find it kicks back on the slightest hill.

On the return trip I pulled it down to manual using 4th and even climbing hills with CC it would drop down to 75-80kph and seems to handle it well. I actually found it much more relaxing using 4th rather than D and I saw a slight improvement in the consumption.

I believe the D-Max has a higher towing capacity (3500kg) than the HiLux and becasue of that I did not even consider getting one. They are also rather outdated although I believe there is a new model on the horizon.

Bob

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by mydmax » September 5th, 2014, 11:07 am

Rexxpro

Your vehicle will have been "pre delivered" something which you pay good money for, however all makes/marques do very little for that money.

Ask why they didn't check the air con worked before hand over? Wasn't your vehicle PRE delivered? OR What?

They stuffed up there. Obviously NO check at all, otherwise they would know about it.

Bruce D U

If towing fit a trans cooler so you don't get any overtemp problem in adverse conditions or situations.

Rexxpro
Been here a while

Unread post by Rexxpro » September 12th, 2014, 1:18 pm

Got the air con sorted. Apparently some part wasn't installed right and gas had leaked out. Why it wasn't picked up at pre delivery is anyone's guess.

I have noticed a few other minor faults that ute is booked in to get fixed.

1. LHS back door is harder to shut then other 3. if closing same as other 3 it only get to the first click not fully closed.

2. there is an annoying squeak in the centre console. it is like rubbing hand on inflated balloon or rubbing 2 pieces of poly Styrofoam together. it is worse along a country / bouncy road. grrr

3. Wheel alignment is out. it pulls to the left slightly.

4. Bluetooth phone calls produces echo to other party so much that people keep saying they can not hear me, they can only hear what they have said echoing back to them. This makes the Bluetooth part of the premium audio system unusable.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 12th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Rexxpro
The reason why the aircon problem wasn't found is simple, no one checks.
When Navara can have bent chassis, malformed tubs and dual cab offset to the chassis centre and it is obvious to passers by then it really does seem no one checks a thing at any Vehicle makes pre delivery.

If the whell alignment is out it can only be from eitherFAR TOO MUCH camber on the left wheel which would be obvious to a blind man
OR
the Caster on the RHS is far too much and it is steering it to the left.
OR the back axle is more back on the RHS than the left ie the RH wheels are further apart than the LH wheels are.
With careful measurement it too is easily detected.

Sound like the audio needs it's teeth cleaned.

Maybe, like a vehicle owner I am assisting, his book with the code ISN'T the correct book for the vehicle and the access code is therefore wrong as are the chassis and VIN numbers. IT HAPPENS. Again on a Navara

menco
Here and there

Unread post by menco » September 13th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Rexxpro wrote: 3. Wheel alignment is out. it pulls to the left slightly.
If it's only slightly to the left then it's pretty normal. Some manufactures do this as a safety measure and it's just following the camber of the road. If the driver falls asleep they won't veer into oncoming traffic.

Rexxpro
Been here a while

Unread post by Rexxpro » September 14th, 2014, 8:08 am

I have to steer it to right to get it to drive straight.

nra303
Here and there

Unread post by nra303 » September 14th, 2014, 5:51 pm

if it's severe check your wheels for their alignment weights. My dealer said this is a common thing. The've had a few. He explained why and I can't remember but it sounded reasonable.

I've only had mine a few weeks and I've been away for half that. So far the only thing troubling me is a slight shudder when pulling to a stop, usually a slow pull up at lights or something. That would be it going in to first gear maybe or is there a neutral in there? I'm happy with everything else. No sqeaks, all the doors and seals are good. Everything does what it's supposed to. Brakes are real good. I've been underneath a couple times and had a good look. Reassuring to see a truck under there. Mileage is good out of the box. doing 9l/100 on the freeway, 9.3L around the burbs. No weight, open tub. Thats trip meter so tank to tank would be a good comparison. Still got half a tank. Pulls like a train. I'm liking it.

Windows having no power when keyed off. 30 seconds to get the windows up after turning the key off would be good.

Return to “DMax”