Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

The new ute
Jer2000
Been here a while

Re: Current model DMax owners - what do you think?

Unread post by Jer2000 » November 20th, 2013, 9:32 pm

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:haha yeah the key in lock beep is terrible.
Yeah I've noticed that too. You don't need the key the whole way in either, just part way. Must have some kind of sensor inside it.

I find if insert the key, and then quickly turn the ignition just one turn, all I cop is one beep. Which is fine!

(And for those wondering what is going on, if you have the drivers door open and insert the key, it beeps at you!!!)

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » November 21st, 2013, 7:34 am

i've actually left my headlights on once because i've grown oblivious to all the warning beeping going on.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » November 22nd, 2013, 9:32 am

I think some of you may have read and been aware of my horror story in regards to the purchase and then the servicing of my D-Max.

I read with great interest last week that Isuzu have I think it was the B10 rating on their engine we have in our D-Max's. The rating means at least 90% of their engines reach 500,000km or more before requiring a rebuild. That's a phenomenal result! As a business owner who needs vehicles on the road 24/7 this is to me a no brainer to me. I will be seriously discussing my previous issues with IAU as I will look at purchasing more in the future.
Last edited by BSP4WD on November 22nd, 2013, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » November 22nd, 2013, 10:06 am

where did you read that?
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 22nd, 2013, 11:13 am

A couple of times a salesman at my local Isuzu dealer has at time of purchase and afterwards, told me the design life of the engine is in excess of 800,000km.

Having had them, not do a thing at the first service and then I purposely investigated and found many others which hadn't had their services done or even fully completed, it would seem the dealers won't be the ones featuring in the long life of an Isuzu vehicle. However, they are happy to take any credit for re "THE NAME"

Because of this happening it means,although Isuzu have done the development for a reliable vehicle/engine, the Aussie dealer network doesn't necessarily share the same goals and is often in direct contradiction to what Isuzu intends to happen.

When Isuzu decides to discipline and oversee services done on Isuzu's, the marques name will be far more respected than at present. Possibly sales will also rapidly increase too instead of being held back by rogue, greedy dealers sponging on customers and using the Isuzu's reliability as "their" insurance policy.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » November 22nd, 2013, 11:27 am

SuckSqueezeBangBlow wrote:where did you read that?

Just here mate http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2013/co ... Q9RC1NYXg.

Very Interesting read too!

MYDMAX:- When Isuzu decides to discipline and oversee services done on Isuzu's, the marques name will be far more respected than at present. Possibly sales will also rapidly increase too instead of being held back by rogue, greedy dealers sponging on customers and using the Isuzu's reliability as "their" insurance policy.

You Sir are spot on! Some dealers are imbiciles who shouldn't be allowed to work on a billy cart little lone a vehicle! Yet Peter Davey of IU Gold Coast is an absolute gentleman and dedicated IU salesman and really does look after you after sales and he even personally oversees your services too! That's exactly who IUA need promoting and selling their products!

paintah
Here and there

Unread post by paintah » November 22nd, 2013, 7:24 pm

Made enquiries regarding 10k service, dealership said cost $335.00, included look over, replace diff oil front and back!, I asked about engine oil and filter but apparently not required till next sevice ???, I asked what else do you do, reply was check door hinge bolts, if I wanted the oil/filter change that would be 130.00 more, well I got my mech to do the service and he did all of above including new engine oil, their filter and cracked the paint of door hinge bolts for $350.00, I've had lots of new cars in my career, and half of them diesel and always the engine oil was dumped every service! I know the dealers have to make money but this felt like getting bent over the bench. But hang on why diff oil before engine oil?
Don't drink then shave.

Jer2000
Been here a while

Unread post by Jer2000 » November 22nd, 2013, 10:09 pm

For what it's worth paintah, my 2013 LS-M had it's 10k service a couple of weeks ago. I requested they change the engine oil and filter, in addition to everything else that is done in the 10k service. The cost was $533.35. Mine is leased, so I don't actually see these costs. Although, I do intend to keep the D-Max after my lease is up, hence getting the 10k oil change.

I'll break it down as the figures listed on the invoice:

10k service : $175 (labour)
Oil filter $39.81
Gasket drain plug $3.21
Engine oil $125.44
Manual transmission oil $43.17
LSX90 $29.46
LSX90 $38.77
Environmental levy $15.00
Workshop supplies $15.00
GST on all of the above : $48.49

The oil price is an absolute rip off. At the 7k mark I did an oil change on my own, as I was on a big road trip and it wouldn't be until about 12k that it got the 10k service. I couldn't in good conscience, allow it to run for so long with a fresh engine and no oil change!

I used good quality Shell Helix HX-7 which cost me retail from Supercheap auto about $70 for two 5 litre bottles, and I didn't use all 10 litres either. The oil filter was an aftermarket job @ $19.95.

Anyway, make of this what you will!

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » November 23rd, 2013, 6:29 am

don't trust a dealership to do a good job.

they are misreading the service requirements. the handbook says 10k initial for motor oil, then every 20k after that depending on driving conditions (most driving falls under the 10k OCI requirement anyway).

Obviously they are thinking it doesn't need doing until 20k which is rubbish.

Even 10k on dealership oil is too much IMHO. Only on a good synthetic would I let it go to 10k.

FWIW I used Rimula R3x 15w40 changing at 1000, 3500, 7200 before switching to Amsoil series 3000 5w30 at 10k. Its due again now at 20k and will stick with using Amsoil.

i did all this myself (and the diffs/gbox) and got a friend to stamp the 10k service in the book, after he gave it the once over and re greased everything.

I really like this truck and I think I'll be keeping it until its 10 years old before I buy another, I've promised my 5 year old son he can have it at a really good price mwhahahaha.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » November 24th, 2013, 9:05 am

SSBB, did you use Amsoil Severe Gear Oil SAE 75W-140 in your diffs?

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 24th, 2013, 10:21 am

Jer2000
I was not surprised to see the $125.44 cost of the engine oil in a dealer service.
They rarely use expensive high grade oil. So how do they justify the cost.

Last week I purchased 20litres of Mobil Delvac MX for $88:20 cheaper than usual, but in contrast with a dealer oil cost
$125:44 for 7.5 litres for not necessarily the best oil as compared to nearly 3 times the amount of oil for always less cost.

Mobil Delvac is normally $98 for 20L.

I know a dealer has to make a profit, everyone does, but charging more than 3 x the real cost of the oil is how Dealers make money?
To recognize the oil drum in a dealers is easy, it's the GOLD plated drum, apparently.

The dealer would have paid no more than $25 for the oil in your vehicle. Maybe even less seeing they buy it in bulk.

knoath05
Been here a while

Unread post by knoath05 » November 25th, 2013, 5:50 pm

My 3000K service is due next week.
I know they won't change the oil, engine or diffs, so when I get her back, I'd like to do all three or should I worry about just the engine?
I have not been off road or in dusty conditions, but I will go off road at Xmas (this includes some river crossings... nothing major, I believe diff height only)

Please guys, advise me on whether or not doing an engine or diff oil change between 3000 and 10,000K service will affect me warranty wise.

Is an engine oil change at 3000K really needed with only on road work to this point?

On another point, I have a Piranha diff breather kit from my old Challenger which I was going to put on the DMax... can anyone advise on any info regarding this? I haven't had a look under her yet.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » November 25th, 2013, 10:01 pm

knoath05
Mine is a 2011 and I chose to change the oils at 6500km. No special reason for that distance but didn't want it to get to 10,000km on the first lot of oil because of the microscopic metallic stuff which is better out than in. Next oil was at 14,000km.

The 3000km "service" is just a tyre kick.

They should, check the/all oil levels, wheel nuts, body fastenings, other fluid levels including brakes too. Brakes and clutch, if fitted, are easily seen but many aren't.
If from factory, a level is down for some reason, then the pre delivery and first service checks which aren't done won't find the deficiency and if someone then uses the vehicle for long distance or reasonably heavy towing, then a problem could develop and cause trouble or failure. Rare, but not impossible.

For me, because it has a filter, the engine is the most protected and the diffs and gearbox (manual) and transfer aren't and they too like particle free oil. I don't think they will fail but it can't be as good as clean oil is.

If the oil specs are as specified then service shouldn't affect the warranty, maybe best done by a qualified person who can legally verify the work. I don't know what dealers are willing to accept.

Will send a PM.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » November 26th, 2013, 7:29 am

yes BSP4WD, I used the Severe Gear 75w-140 in the rear diff, and Severe Gear 75w-90 in the front.

N.T.
Been here a while

Unread post by N.T. » December 1st, 2013, 7:16 am

We picked ours up last week, 2013 ls-u mineral grey auto. So far we couldn't be happier. We test drove EVERY dual cab on the market on the same day on the same test circuit I made up. The standouts for us were the Ranger and the VW. The Colorado was our first pick on looks alone but one of our least favourites after the test drive. The engine didn't seem to mate well with the auto box it seemed to indesicive as to which gear it wanted to be in. And the interior/ build quality seemed cheap, but that was just us. We test drove the Isuzu two weeks later as it was the only one that we didn't have a dealer for in town. My wife and I were very impressed with the fit and finish of the car and the quite cabin noise (much quieter than the ranger) and the drivability we put up there with the Ranger and Amarok. As we were only considering top spec models in auto the D max came 10k cheaper than the other two. That's a ten with three zeros behind it. We picked up the Dmax for 45k and the Ranger and Arok were both very close to the 55k mark. So for us it was a no brainer as we are now getting a canopy, bulbar, snorkel, tubliner, and 2'' suspension lift for still under the cost of the standard top spec Ranger/VW. Also while the VW easily drove the nicest out of all the dual cabs, so smooth in the shifts and Mercedes like handling I hate the idea of matching the big boys on paper with power output figures from a much smaller 2.0 litre engine by twin turboing it. Not the setup I want towing 2.5 ton across the simpson dessert. All in all very happy with our buy just can't wait til all our goodies arrive to bolt on. Go the Dmax!!! :thumb:

Return to “DMax”