Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

The new ute
CptnBarney
Getting to know the place

Re: Current model DMax owners - what do you think?

Unread post by CptnBarney » September 7th, 2013, 6:43 am

mydmax,
Yep, know those tricks. My diffs used to come back with big smiley faces painted on them when they found the obvious witness marks I left. :lol: Had a most interesting conversation with a Ford service dept as well when they explained their (at the time) $100 per hour labour charges as 'Ford expertise'. Next question was why did you charge me for 5.5L of oil on a vehicle that takes 3.5L? And $3.50 for air-freshner? :lol: :lol: Use to make them tick each box too as they resisted this with a passion. Yep ... I love dealer service departments and they usually love me too!

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » September 7th, 2013, 8:30 am

Mate, screw them down for the canopy! It's a buyers market at present and they are desperate to sell cars at present, even more so with the end of the year looming (years gone already). Just walk in and offer $44g drive away with canopy and I bet they will take your offer. Still leaves $1000 for your suspension upgrade.

frewcha
Been here a while

Unread post by frewcha » September 8th, 2013, 8:41 pm

dmax does a have a lockable rear tail gate? mine does.....

CptnBarney

Unread post by CptnBarney » September 8th, 2013, 9:40 pm

The LS-U has the locking tailgate, the LS-M and SX don't. But we've had it determined it can be fitted by changing mechanism over.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » September 10th, 2013, 1:09 pm

does it have a key hole (which you would have to get keyed alike)? or does it just have wiring and solenoid so it locks with the button?
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

CptnBarney

Unread post by CptnBarney » September 10th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Good question, I assume its a keyed mechanism as the LS-U has a key hole. When they called back they said that the mechanism could be purchased as a part and slotted into the LS-M tailgate, but then I assume we have a mismatched key issue.

Either way, been trying to get info to fit a 3rd child anchor point into a PX Ranger, and at this stage ... the DMax is looking a better deal all-round as the locking tail-gate is easily rectified.

fullbost
Been here a while

Unread post by fullbost » September 16th, 2013, 3:46 pm

What engine are you looking at in the ranger? I would not touch the 2.2L engine with a 10ft pole.
iv got the 2013 dmax sx dual cab very happy with it. Personally the fords cabin is alittle more bigger. But I sucked it up for the 5yr/100,000kms warranty.
I carry about 450kgs in the back of mine and have been getting under 10L/100kms which im happy with.

tombj42
Here and there

Unread post by tombj42 » September 16th, 2013, 8:32 pm

CptnBarney

If your Isuzu dealer is too retarded to code the tailgate to the ignition key, ask for them to supply the rear tailgate lock before delivery and take it to any half decent locksmith. they should be able to ode the lock to the key, and save any extra key dramas.
2012 DMAX LSU space cab. XROX bar, 4"lift, 285/75r16.

CptnBarney

Unread post by CptnBarney » October 5th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Thought a quick update was in order. Yesterday, we finally managed to get the whole tribe to the dealerships for the missus to check things out. Whilst she wont be the primary driver, she will be a passenger and an occasional driver with a horse-float when weather and track conditions precludes use of her SZ Territory.

Looked at the D-Max first (LS-M). Being somewhat shorter in stature, she didn't mind the back seat. The middle of the back-seat position was also acceptable to her. She liked that the centre-console at its rear has two cup-holders as it satisfies the kids. The 3 child restraint points she agreed provided tonnes of flexibility in how the kids are seated, with the youngest in his forward facing seat in the middle, adults could sit either side, or the two sisters in their boosters either side or out of them. Or a kid behind the driver and then lift the split back-seat to place saddles in the cabin itself. In the driver's seat ... liked the cupholder/spare change holder to the right of the wheel as it stops her having to reach across her body to the centre point for drinks. Seat adjustment was okay, but not as easy as she'd have liked. Once in a driving position, depressing the clutch fully gives little to no room between her shin and that parcel under the steering-wheel (can it be cut out or removed?), with no airbag there, she felt vulnerable. Found two places automatically where the Tekonsha P3 electric brake unit can be placed. Happy with the display, but would have prefered the temperature and fuel guage to be guages, not digital read-outs as she worries with her photo-chromatic glasses the display may become difficult to read. Moving around the car, salesman was left with no confusion in that they'd be supplying a lockable tailgate, tailgate was okay to open and she could reach partially into the rear. Over the sides it was on tippy toes to reach. Really liked the chrome grill compared to the SX. :rolleyes: :lol: Liked the side-steps on the LS-U to help her and the kids get in ... but the handles on driver and passenger side where good as she could grab and swing in if required. After some pleasantries, off to Ford.

Looked at the XL Ranger for starters (we prefer vinyl flooring) ... 'its a big car' was the first impression. Into the drivers seat, again left shin strikes or nearly strikes the surrounds under the steering wheel when clutch fully depressed. Oddly we later looked at an XLS, and her shin has clearance in that ... odd! Instantly notices no obvious place for the electric brake unit, and she's ruled out a Redarc wanting a progressive style braking unit without doubt. Lack of storage is also apparent from drivers seat. Likes the display and all instruments are clear and well laid out. Into the back seat, noticeably nicer position and wider, middle of the rear seat is comfortable but instantly detects less foot space ... yep ... approx 1" less as the Ranger console has been pushed back further. Suddenly makes sense why I cant get elbow support in them. Reckons the console is smaller internally too compared to DMax. Not happy about the lack of a middle child restraint, basically happy to walk away as 'Why should we pay to do what they should have done?' Moves around the vehicle ... 'Tubs big' ... definitely cant reach over side of this one, I point out the locking tailgate and she goes to open it ... it drops with a THUNK ... not happy with the weight of it nor can she reach at all into the tub to pull stuff out. Not looking good for my dreams of a Ranger! Price wise, we can get an XL 3.2L 6-speed manual 4x4 Ranger with diff-lock for basically the price of the manual 4x4 DMax SX ($38990) with stern negotiation. The LS-M though seems like reasonable value at $39,990 before the obligatory negotiations.

So there we go ... its the oddest small things that make or break a vehicle purchase. Next week we'll drive both (and the BT50) and make our decision. Then its up to the dealers to make offers that tempt ... or I do a novated lease and the financing company can take the glory. :lol:

Abe DMAX
Here and there

Unread post by Abe DMAX » October 9th, 2013, 10:46 am

We just gave ours it's first proper beach work out (Bribey Island) I'm even more happy with it after that, It ate up the soft sand!

frewcha
Been here a while

Unread post by frewcha » October 9th, 2013, 12:02 pm

hey abe! did you just run stock tires?

Abe DMAX
Here and there

Unread post by Abe DMAX » October 9th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Yes mate, let them down to 20psi, did the job well.

frewcha
Been here a while

Unread post by frewcha » October 9th, 2013, 1:13 pm

marvellous, heading to the sand in a few weeks is all and just wanted to hear how they went!

chewy52
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by chewy52 » November 20th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Hi Guy's, havn't been here for a while. I have owned my Dmax for 5 months now and have some issues. I went the tour mate option that was on offer at the Cairns camping show. Since delivery i've not been able to shut the rear canopy window properly and on a recent trip to Adelaide and back i stopped at least 20 x to shut the floral thing. WHAT A PAIN. the result of this is that my tail gate has a couple hundred chips on it, and of course it's my fault cause i was towing a camper!!! (this is my 4th 4Dr ute and the camper has seen them all with no previous probs.) Once home i cleared a bucket of stones from inside the tub, and of course everything in the back was covered in dirt.Thousands of $ of new machinery looking very second hand. The tub liner has been trimmed too much and floats off the wall of the tub resulting in lots of ***** getting in between the liner and tub. The Dmax badges have fallen off (the canopy) leaving some nice grey tape behind, yummy. I so miss the rear LSD of the previous models, the diff in the Dmax has near got me killed a couple of times because it just sits and spins a wheel, i've not sensed the brake application that has been mentioned in this forum. I am NOT a fan of the stability control, if i plant my foot down i want the car to move but the ESC turns the motor down in a way that says" F U, you will drive the way i want". I want to rip the beeper out from under the dash every time i put the keys in or open the door, apparently Isuzu think its better to have the keys in your hand as one enters and exits the car.I do however like the sequential shift over the trans deciding what gear is best. Left to change gears by itself the motor always seems to be revving hard. If its a learning trans why does it keep ringing the bejesus out of the motor? It's got great torque, why won't it use it? I won't even comment on the seat belt alarm. BUT, i recon the Isuzu craps all over the ford and holden anyway, even with its issues, of which most of the issues are with after market items. I'm sure i've bored you all enough, i'll have another crack at em later. C ya's, Chewy.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » November 20th, 2013, 7:08 pm

haha yeah the key in lock beep is terrible.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

Return to “DMax”