Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

The new ute
Peter Aawen
Admin

Thinking of buying a Dmax? Q&A's & any feedback go here!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 3rd, 2013, 6:54 am

ADMIN EDIT by Peter Aawen

Hi All... (& sorry Cpt Barney, but I'm usurping your first post & beginnings of the thread to make this a sticky for all the Buying a Dmax threads!)

So, back to the main aim here! If you are thinking of buying a Dmax, new or old, off the showroom floor or second hand, from a dealer or privately, doesn't matter how - but if you have questions about it, please put all your questions & any answers or feedback/recommendations etc in this thread!! The idea is that we will keep this thread as the definititve 'BUYING A DMAX' come-to Thread so that we can avoid having hundreds of little 'thinking of buying....' threads scattered all over the place, all asking for the same sort of info & often asking stuff that's been covered elsewhere... So that by sticking all the usual questions & answers/feedback/recommendations etc in here, it'll be a whole lot easier for anyone/everyone to find the info they need when/if they are thinking of buying a Dmax.

Don't forget that as well as being able to search on the section thru advanced search, you can also search on just this topic; so if you want the answer to a specific question & can't readily see if it's here, please use the 'Search this Topic' option up the top of the thread/each page - altho if you are asking about what wheels/rims will fit, that is probably already answered in the 'Got (or want) Bigger Tyres? Come in here' thread, this one is meant specifically for the sorts of things you might want to know or find out about BEFORE you shell out your hard earned on a Dmax. ;)

If you post a thread elsewhere asking for info on Dmax's when you are thinking of buying one, don't be surprised if it ends up being merged into this thread, altho if it is clearly stated in the thread title and the first post that your question is something that applies to Dmax's in general & is a specific thing that hasn't been covered in any other thread already, then it might get to stay as a stand alone thread - but we are trying to collect ALL the 'Buying New/Used' threads & merging them into this one so that they are all easier to find & search thru! ;)

Hope you get the info you are after, & that you enjoy your Dmax (if you end up buying one that is!) :)

Now, back to your post Cpt Barney

Guys,
New here. Interested in what the owners of the current shape DMax think of their vehicles. Looking at a new dual-cab 4x4 ute (manual) and have it narrowed down to the D-Max in LS-M configuration or the Ford Ranger in XLS configuration. I like the Dmax's better economy, better standard tyres, it drives well and I'd swear it's a bit quieter in the cabin. I like the slightly smaller size, the 3 child anchor points, and the more flexible rear seat configuration, but dislike the comfort of the centre of the rear seat for a kid not in a booster, no diff lock, & no locking rear tailgate (will a canopy allow it to be secured shut?). Ranger XLS's strengths (difflock, lockable rear tailgate, lovely wider middle rear seat) are the DMax's weaknesses and vice versa. Price wise I feel that optioned with an aftermarket rear difflock the D-Max is close to the price of the Ranger as the Isuzu dealer is holding the $38990 price point at this stage whilst Ford will go to $41990 with lots of pushing, huffing and puffing, plus the Ranger's 15k/30k/45k services are free. Anyone certain on the price of a rear diff-lock to the DMax?

Vehicle duties will include towing a horse float (max 2.6T), family camping trips in 4WD only areas, deer hunting duties over the winter period (where the difflock is handy) ... but 90% of its time it'll be a 65km both ways work commuter and week-end farm duties ute.

This is a real dilemma for me at this stage and I'm looking for thought process & clarifying comments. :lol: That I'm even considering a Dmax compared to the Ranger I reckon is a real compliment to Isuzu's product. Maybe I just keep test driving both until one shows up as a favourite? :p
Last edited by Peter Aawen on September 5th, 2014, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Converted to 'Buying a Dmax' thread & sticky for all
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Re: Current model DMax owners - what do you think?

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » September 3rd, 2013, 7:43 am

why not try and hire one for a week each? both good trucks, although it sounds like you need to 'fix' less stuff on the Ranger.
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 06 BF XR6T, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX LS-M 4X4

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » September 3rd, 2013, 8:17 am

The rear LSD in the DMax's are pretty good, so if you were thinking of spending money on traction mods, a front auto locker would be much better, and well out perform the Ranger's rear only diff lock.
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

CptnBarney
Getting to know the place

Unread post by CptnBarney » September 3rd, 2013, 10:05 am

Does the new DMax have a rear LSD or rely on a traction control system? Must have missed that in the specs. If it is fitted with an LSD is it 'effective' like say the Patrol's or abysmal like the Hilux? I suppose for years I wheeled in an FJ55 with Dad which had no LSD, and then a long stint with a Lada Niva with no LSD ... now we need all the bells and whistles. :lol:

Might drop into both Ford and Isuzu with an empty horse float and go for a spin. :twisted:

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » September 3rd, 2013, 1:26 pm

no LSD in the new Dmax, only brakes the spinning wheel which then turns the stationary wheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKG6raANdg
previous:-> 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE

STEELJOCKEY
Part of the furniture

Unread post by STEELJOCKEY » September 3rd, 2013, 5:59 pm

Thanks SSBB, clears that up for the new model. Sounds a bit like left foot braking technique to get the traction.

I think you'd still be better off with the dmax, but maybe I'm biased :D
My 2007 Rodeo RA7 build threadviewtopic.php?f=27&t=76391
My home built Slide-on camper viewtopic.php?f=134&t=84792

tombj42
Here and there

Unread post by tombj42 » September 3rd, 2013, 11:09 pm

CptnBarney

No rear LSD in the new model Dmax, but the traction control and EBD systems run perfectly. I cannot see a need for a rear locker in a new model Dmax unless you are towing while 4wding, or trying to get stuck. Shop around on your prices, the LSM is currently on "sale" for $39000 ish, but you can generally get them to throw in extra to make it more worth while. and let the original dealer know you are shopping other dealerships.
2012 DMAX LSU space cab. XROX bar, 4"lift, 285/75r16.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Been here a while

Unread post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow » September 5th, 2013, 4:46 pm

LSM is damn good value if you ask me.

knoath05
Been here a while

Unread post by knoath05 » September 5th, 2013, 9:36 pm

Just signed up for the Tour Mate pack.
It's a (4x4 Outdoors Show) special... Based on the LS-U Auto it comes with Tow Bar, Canopy, Bonnet Protector, Window Weather Shields, Tub Liner.
I added an MCC4x4 Deluxe BullBar and rear Jack Bar, color coded for just under... enough!
My first new car and I can't wait to get my hands on it!!!!!
Looking forward to getting the kids out to make some great memories!

Will look very similar to this, minus the brush bars...

Now the wait....

BMS
Been here a while

Unread post by BMS » September 5th, 2013, 11:33 pm

I have owned both vehicles and have the D-max now and rate it a better vehicle than the Ranger due to it's
lack off techno wizardry.
Have a look on the newranger.net site at all the issues people are having and over 50% have had flat batteries
and was the reason we eventually got rid of ours plus Ford's lousy costumer service or total lack of it.
In the 18 to 20 months we owned it it was in the shop for 6 to 7 weeks and we lost complete confidence in
the vehicle as you were never sure the thing would start or have some other issue.

It was very capable off road and we did some hard yards in it but at the end of the day we changed to the
Dmax and are happy we did.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » September 6th, 2013, 3:45 am

My radio technician is a Ford fan, and owns the previous model Ranger but has stated to me on many occasions he will not purchase the current model as there have been to many issues, and for him it became even worse with serious issues once you start cutting into the factory wiring to fit accessories i.e. two-way radio, phone hands frees etc.

I have personally driven one and it felt rather "agricultural" compared to other 4wd's out there. Considering the relationship between Ford and Mazda I found the BT-50 a far better vehicle for performance, comfort and technology. Admittedly the BT-50 look is an acquired taste and not to everyone's fancy.

Personally, I've had several issues with my previous model D-Max which I purchased new in 07/2012 and the level of service I have received from IAU has been deplorable. For me their after sales service is simply non existent. I have faced everything from purchasing it where the dealership went bankrupt and keeping $2500 for my canopy, to every single service to date where 2 different IAU approved repairers have lost mag wheel centres to serious scratches down doors where I've had to have entire doors repainted, and of course IAU wanted no part of it and I was offered no support.
As a result I will not purchase Isuzu ever again.
I know some people here have had the opposite experience, but in my experience IAU are simply too small and simply just don't care. Once you've handed over your money you're on your own!

I would actually encourage you to serious look at the RG Colorado. As an owner of an LTZ 5 speed manual I can say they are a great vehicle all-round. Plenty of power, drive like a car and have excellent fuel economy but best of all you have Holden as your after sales support. Now I've had several issues with mine, albeit all dealership related but Holden Australia stepped in and resolved all issues to my satisfaction.

In regards to the vehicle itself, the engine is a very strong performer in both auto and manual. Plenty of good "throw you in the back seat" torque and the ride quality is that of driving a Commodore. It's smooth, nice wide wheel base and just does it all with ease. Electric seats, climate control and personally I think it looks better than the current D-Max too.
Fuel economy I have found to be excellent. I only have now 2500km on mine, but I drove from Ballina to Woodridge and return to have it fitted with its new bulbar, winch and driving lights 2 days ago where I clocked up just on 400km and I still have 550km until empty, it used 1/4 of a tank of fuel and it was using exactly 10l/100km. On the other hand my wife drove her current MN GLX-R triton up to be fitted with the same goodies on the same day and she used 1/2 a tank of fuel and was using 11l/100km and her vehicle had 6000km on the clock. Considering the Colorado is a bigger vehicle with a more powerful engine than the Triton it showed excellent fuel economy. Best of all was when I needed to put the foot down to overtake it seriously pulls like a steam train! Plant your foot at 80km/hr in 4th and you're well over 100km/hr before you know it, and I do seriously mean within a few seconds too.

If you really want to save some money, then you might want to take a good long hard look at the Foton Tunland

http://fotonauto.com.au/

This is powered by a great engine, and all running gear underneath is the same as a current Toyota Hi-lux. Great vehicle to drive and the prices is phenominal!

CptnBarney

Unread post by CptnBarney » September 6th, 2013, 11:50 am

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions. Still haven't decided which way to go. Everything seems to hinge on the most minor of details. Most importantly for us ... rear seat practicality (3 kids) and locking tailgate as once a canopy is fitted there'll be horse saddles being transported in the back. was so much simpler when it was just me myself! :lol: :lol: Got Isuzu's service chasing up whether the locking tailgate mechanism from the LS-U can be fitted to an LS-M. I'd be happy with the LS-M's spec level. Locally the Isuzu dealer has a reasonably good reputation.

Looked at the RG Colorado ... believe it or not, to get a rear seat center head rest (missus wont look at anything without 3 rear headrests and 3 lap/sash rear belts) requires us to buy the LTZ model :rolleyes: ... they'd go $45k but I'd be removing most of the 'bling' like side-steps, rear sports bar etc... No option for a rear headrest in the back in lower spec models. :irked: Drives nicely though.

Mazda BT50 ... price has been comprehensibly beaten by Ford. That's not what it was like in May when I last looked, but at the moment the Ranger is cheaper locally particularly due to the XLS model. Then again we bought a Territory in may from Ford so they know we'll buy and are bending over backwards for our business. Mazda dealer rep is so:so locally.

Triton? Rear seat seriously doesn't suit our needs ... Hilux ... don't start me! :lol:

Decisions, decisions ... but thanks for your observations and thoughts. Much appreciated.

BSP4WD
Been here a while

Unread post by BSP4WD » September 6th, 2013, 4:36 pm

What is your price range mate? What is the max you can go to because at the moment you can get an LTZ for $45g drive away and that comes load with the "bling" i.e. side steps, sports bar etc.

I think the new Hi-lux will be released this November and from the photos I've seen it could be just worth the wait too. At least visit your local Toyota dealership and see what information they have.

As I said too I would seriously look at the Foton. The only safety feature it doesn't have though is ESC. Apart from that it drives great on and off-road and is very well priced compared to the others in the market.

CptnBarney

Unread post by CptnBarney » September 6th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Budget is about $45k for which I'd want as many 'useful' accessories as I can get rather than 'bling'. A DMax LS-M can be fitted with a locking tailgate mechanism from a LS-U for 'a couple hundred' according to the Isuzu dealer' Service dept. That leaves enough for a towbar, canopy and maybe a suspension lift before hitting the price ceiling? :D

Ranger XLS I'd probably be able to just scrape in a towbar and canopy. Free servicing until 45k.

Your spot-on with the Colorado. :D Visited the Holden dealer, they can still do a Thunder pack manual LTZ for $43490. Soft tonneau would suffice until we can get a canopy fitted, towbar already fitted is a bonus. Free servicing until 60k.

I'll take all for a drive again next week. One will come to the front.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Unread post by mydmax » September 6th, 2013, 10:11 pm

CptnBarney
I don't know what your skill set is but I wouldn't imagine for 1 second that any dealer or anything who are offering Free servicing to 45k or even 60k is actually going to do it properly.
Most dealers don't even do it properly if, at all, even when you are paying for it. The FREE claim is just to suck people in.
Everything will still be going even if they did nothing in 45,000km. Some dealers have been known to change the oil in the engine sometimes though.
I have seen a Rodeo at 110,000km and the two diffs, transfercase and gearbox had never been serviced, and no grease into the unis either. All fully paid for by the owner.

Trust is a wonderful thing. Some take advantage of it. Now who could that be?

mydmax

Return to “DMax”