View topic - Towing 2.5 tonne van. Gear selection.

Towing 2.5 tonne van. Gear selection.

The new ute
Getting to know the place

Towing 2.5 tonne van. Gear selection.

Hi. Col here from Victoria.
I have had my LSU 4x4 Auto D-Max now for a few months. I have just purchased a new caravan. It weighs in at 2.5 tonne loaded and I am wondering if anyone out there can help me with the correct gear selection while towing. When I picked it up one bloke said just push the power button, put it in D and you will be right. Another said that it should be only towing in 3rd. Who out there knows what is the correct method. I towed the van home in D with the power button pressed but dropped it back to 3 on a couple of hills just in case. The car easily tows the van but next week I am off to Halls gap and the big hill out of Bachus Marsh will test out the cars real towing strength. (or not) I put an extra leaf in the rear springs and raised the car 50mm and fitted in a set of Bilstein shocks as the car originally was too low and the shocks were too floaty.

Col.

Unread postby Colleeden » May 21st, 2011, 12:23 pm

Need to get out more

Re: Towing 2.5 tonne van. Gear selection.

Welcome to the forum Col. :thumb:

What you've already been doing will be fine.
I'm assuming the "power" button is like most other vehicles in that it changes the shift strategy of the automatic transmission. Allowing the engine to rev a bit higher before up-shifting and down-shifting sooner than it otherwise normally would. Which is just what you ought to do if it were a manual. So you've got it easy! Still, don't be shy of using the gear shift yourself, particularly descending big hills. Make use of whatever engine braking it's got so you minimise brake use.

Enjoy your trip!

Unread postby DJR96 » May 21st, 2011, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I assumed I was on the right track. The last van we had I was towing with a manual Landcruiser ute. With the D-Max auto I am on new ground.

Col.

Unread postby Colleeden » May 21st, 2011, 3:07 pm

Hi Colleeden
With the 4 spd Auto, 4th gear is an overdrive gear, much the same as 5th gear in a manual. These gears are not strong gears to tow with as they are driven through a small bearing or 'cog'. If you check the handbook specs for the gearbox ratios, you'll find that the gear with the ratio of 1.000 is 3rd gear for the auto, or 4th gear in a manual. This is the strongest gear in the box as the 1.000 ratio means it is a direct drive, with no reduction (eg first around 2.8xx with a larger cog) or step up (eg 0.7xx for overdrive with tiny cog).
In your auto, you should tow in 3rd under normal driving. The motor will actually work harder in 4th, despite lower revs.
I have a manual d-max, and tow in 4th (camper only 1.1t) and the economy is the same.

On another note, how did you find the difference with the extra leaf suspension upgrade you did? Does it still ride well when unladen? I am looking into this also, as the std shocks & rear springs are quite floaty. Bilstiens are a good shock, do they measure up?

Cheers
Mark

Unread postby Nutto » May 27th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Been here a while

Its an auto. It will choose the gear it needs itself! Just put it in drive and go. I am constantly towing 2+ tons. The car never has a problem in drive.

Unread postby amtravic1 » May 28th, 2011, 7:15 am

Nutto wrote:Hi Colleeden
On another note, how did you find the difference with the extra leaf suspension upgrade you did? Does it still ride well when unladen? I am looking into this also, as the std shocks & rear springs are quite floaty. Bilstiens are a good shock, do they measure up?

Cheers
Mark

The extra leaf, suspension lift and new shocks make a huge difference. The car was too floaty, like an old yank tank when we recently went up to Queensland and when I just bought a new caravan the towbar was too low. 200 mm lower than the Discovery I sold so I had to do something. The whole lot, Shocks and lift cost me just under $800 all up. I bought the shocks from USA delivered to my door for $395.00 Australian and the springs were done at Brooklyn in Vic which also cost $395 as well as fitting the four Bilsteins. He raised the back 60mm by putting in a new leaf and resetting the original springs and raised the front torsion bar to give a 30mm lift. I let it all settle for a week then had it aligned and all is great. The car sits better instead of sagging in the back and looks better and I can now open the tailgate with the caravan attached which I couldn't with the original setup. The ride is now not floaty at all and moves only 15 to 20mm when the van is attached. If you want further details of where I got the shocks or springs let me know.

The car tows the van ok. 19 foot van, 2.5 tonne all up. It went fine in Drive with a few manual changes back to 3 on long slopes so thst the box wasn't searching as much.

Col

Unread postby Colleeden » May 30th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Here and there

Hi Nutto,

I have a camper too that I tow. What speed do you tow in fourth? Do you mean at highway speeds?

J

Unread postby jokerjoe » May 30th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Hi Jo
yes, highway speeds, 100k's @2500rpm in 4th. Will use 5th only on light throttle, usually downhill runs.
There are numerous writes ups on various forums about not using 5th for towing etc. Also info on EGT (exhaust gas temps) being lower when towing in 4th as opposed to 5th (or auto o/d)

nutto

Unread postby Nutto » May 31st, 2011, 1:38 pm

Col, I sent a PM re details on where u bought shocks, but can post on here if you want

cheers
nutto

Unread postby Nutto » May 31st, 2011, 1:59 pm

I sat on highway speeds in Drive. The temp didn't move even when dragging it up a long hill. I spoke to Isuzu regarding what gear an auto should tow in and if a cooler was needed. They said put it in Drive and go and that the cooler was not necessary at all as the system was designed to tow three tonnes. If it breaks it is under warranty as long as it is a stock standard setup with no modifications. So that is the advice I am taking. When it breaks they will fix it. ( I hope) I will sell it on beforew the warranty runs out anyway and go back to a Landcruiser.

Col

Unread postby Colleeden » May 31st, 2011, 2:04 pm

I sent a reply to you. You can post that reply here if you want. It will save me doing it again for any others that need the part numbers.

Col

Unread postby Colleeden » June 1st, 2011, 4:04 pm

Here and there

i would be very interested in hearing where you got the shocks from. Do you have the correct part numbers also.
I guess yours is 4wd ?
Thanks,Mal.

Unread postby Trangieboy » June 16th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I got them from e.shocks in the USA for $395 Aussie posted to my door. A huge saving over the local prices. The details as follows. Toyota and Nissan shocks listed as they do not sell the Isuzu D-Max as such in the USA. These part numbers went straight into my car. Email follows................

Thank you for your inquiry. Here is your invoice:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invoice Number: 225482 Invoice Date: 4/12/2011
QTY Item # Description Price Total
2 24-002585 TOYOTA REAR SHOCK (B46-0258-H1) $67.95 $135.90
2 24-020763 Nissan Front (B46-2076-H0) $75.00 $150.00

Sub-Total $285.90
Sales-Tax $0.00
Shipping $131.39
Total* $417.29

Remit payment to: Sales@DonsSport.com

Thanks,

Jason Moles
eGauges.com - eShocks.com - BugsandBuggies.com

Send an email to Jason Moles Sales@DonsSport.com and he should be able to give you the current price along with postage to your area. I paid with Paypal.

Regards Col.

Unread postby Colleeden » June 17th, 2011, 10:10 am

Here and there

I know this is an old post but I do have some valid comments to make. For the last 5 years I have been towing vans first was a 16 foot pop top. Now it is a 20 foot Jayco full van. I have been using a Ssangyong Musso sports auto. That uses the BTR 4 speed box same as Falcon. All The towing has been done in drive with power mode selected. The alteration to the shift pattern has rarely seen the trans hunt up and down. I pick up my DMax next Friday again auto and will be using the same technique. It is not rocket science, the auto will pick a gear and stay with it as required. A manual box the twirler will tend to load it up and lug it in the wrong gear and with the temperamental clutches and weak 5th gears will cause for grief and expense. Autos have come forward in leaps and bounds in recent years.

Peter

Unread postby bellett65 » June 10th, 2012, 8:32 am

Need to get out more

G'day bellett65
Nice little car the bellett.
Just a comment about the towing. of heavy continuous towing the auto box is the best option as you know.
However, the Dmax/ Colouradoo have a clutch which is 25 mm bigger in diameter to the other popular three brands and the 5th gear mechanism is positioned before the gearbox and not after, on the output shaft, as in the other makes.
Bigger clutch and totally different overdrive, like a high/low before the box. How good they are compared to others only use and personal experiences will tell I guess.

mydmax

Unread postby mydmax » June 10th, 2012, 10:51 am

Next

Return to DMax