DMAX Bullbar Wobbles on corrugations!? How about yours?

All your Isuzu Tech questions & answers
LosLucas
I'm new, be nice!

DMAX Bullbar Wobbles on corrugations!? How about yours?

Unread post by LosLucas » September 5th, 2014, 10:04 pm

Just chasing up a bit of feedback from current model dmax owners that have a steel bullbar fitted especially if they have been out on really rough/corrugated dirt roads.

I recently had a TJM T13 bar fitted on my 2014 LSM and the bar wobble is out of control. I had a friend pick the car up from TJM and drive it the 300kms (about 60km of which is corrugated dirt) from Alice Springs to my place. By the time they arrived at my place the bar was sitting about 15mm higher on the drivers side and had been making contact with the bumper panel on both sides splitting the flimsy little rubber trim that was used to cover the cut edge of the bumper panel.

I won't bother going into the details of why I'm convinced they had the 'new kid' fit the bar, I'll just say that I kinda put the problems down to poor installation and have had the vehicle back into TJM to have it fixed. They fitted new/decent rubber trim, realigned the bar, and double checked all the fitting points. Just done the drive home again and the bar is still wobbling and still making contact with the bumper panel.

I'm aware that the body is cushioned from the chassis and that most bullbars appear to wobble to some extent on rough roads. The mob I work for out here own landcruisers, hiluxs, pajeros, patrols, and a triton, all fitted with steel bullbars and all of which I have driven on some of the shittiest roads in Australia. The T13 on my dmax hands down out wobbles any other bar I've seen.

How are the bars on your dmax's???
Last edited by LosLucas on September 6th, 2014, 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Re: DMAX Bullbar Wobbles on corrugations!? How about yours?

Unread post by Dmaxqld » September 6th, 2014, 5:58 am

I have a dual cab 2013 Dmax with an ARB steel bar. It wobbles on corrugations and that is normal. But it doesn't impact on the body panels. Have about a 15mm gap between bar and the front panel which was cut to fit the bar. No signs of any rubbing and I have just completed a trip out your way across the Plenty, Old Ghan, Old Andado, Simpson crossing etc. So gave it a pretty good test.

LosLucas
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by LosLucas » September 6th, 2014, 10:20 am

thanks Dmaxqld

Dmaxqld
Been here a while

Unread post by Dmaxqld » September 6th, 2014, 11:57 am

Hope you can get a satisfactory resolution with TJM. Good luck

macka17
Been here a while

Unread post by macka17 » March 6th, 2015, 11:32 pm

Hi.

If you have a manual.

Get on a rough road. Or some corrugations.
and watch the Bar. Then watch the gearstick.

if they in unison. as my Patrol was, There's your answer.

If not. as long as it's bolted solidly to chassis rails and has no cracks in it. You've got a fairy n there shaking it about.

Chassis. plates. torqued bolts. it is basically, all in one piece.

Is the bar a one piece. welded unit.
or one of those cheaper assembled ones. If so. it could need retorquing all the bolts with some locktite..

But one piece, welded. solidly torqued. It ain't going nowhere.
just check shaking in co-ordination with Gearstick first.

If you have stiff suspension for cruising. and travelling light, Locally.
that's give you a lot more bouncing.
Apart from that .???/ Best of luck.

Return to “Isuzu”