Daihatsu Feroza and/or Rocky

That's who!
GiveItAGoGavo
Been here a while

Daihatsu Feroza and/or Rocky

Unread post by GiveItAGoGavo » May 29th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Gday guys,

Got a couple of questions regarding Daihatsu's cause Im lookin at buying a couple...

Firstly, Im on a mega-budget. I cant go past 3 grand and thats pushing it.

Now Ive seen a Rocky, 2.8D (naturally aspirated), itsa 1984 model... some rust in the wheel arch apparently), but comes with reg for 12 months. Now its about 700km away from me so Ill have to drive, but Im not even in the country at the moment so I have to get some other poor sod to do it for me! Anyway Im wondering if its worth it? I have heard the 2.8s are gutless for speed, but excellent at pulling... now this will be used 99% of the time as a day to day but I am hoping to start getting into camping and visiting some more remote places by 4wd... I reckon the Rocky is awesome for that cause itll pull any trailer I wanna take with me, but Im scared as about the parts availability (I hear theyre difficult) AND not only that, but I reckon things are expensive. I mean, how difficult is it to get simple things like air filters etc?

Next I am looking at a Feroza, I know parts are still not as available as something like a Paj (something else Im looking at), but are they any better? Also, I am thinking that a 1.6L fuel injected (its a 94, so I guess its a Feroza II, that makes it widetrack right?) is better on fuel than the diesel (with maybe a bit more acceleration in day to day use) and probably a bit easier to park?

Anyway I just want as much info as I can. Ive never owned a diesel, and whoever goes to get EITHER of these cars has to drive for 7+ hours to do it for me. They are both priced about right, but I am concerned about lack of parts availability. I have heard good things about both trucks, with people loving the Rocky usually but I am concerned about getting a bung diesel and also about it just generally blowing smoke about, as well as a lack of power steering in something so heavy.

Also, how good are the feroza engines good for? this ones up at 250,000, while the Rocky is actually just under 200,00 apparently. The Feroza is a 94 but the Rocky is an 84!

Anyway input would be appreciated!

Thanks guys.

Gav

Roon
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Roon » May 29th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Hi Gav,

The first thing to understand about Rocky's and Feroza's is that they are two very different vehicles. Practically nothing (bar some interior parts) are interchangeable between the two.
So here is a (very) rough guide to Rocky/Feroza in Australia.

1985 to 1988 (F70-F80)
Rocky SWB hardtop and ragtop plus LWB Wagon and Utility.
Long Wheel Base Wagon

Short Wheel Base Hardtop

All available in 2.0L petrol (Toyota 3Y-C) and 2.8 Diesel (Daihatsu DL)
1988 saw introduction of 2.0L petrol Toyota 3Y-E EFI engine and minor facelift (new grille and rectangular headlights.

1989 to 1993
Feroza introduced (F300) with 1.6 Petrol EFI 16valve Daihatsu engine (similar to Daihatsu Applause engine).
The new Feroza was roughly the same dimensions as the SWB Rocky and introduced torsion bar independent front suspension for better on-road handling (albeit with reduced off-road capability), lower roofline with a steeper raked windscreen and a composite rear roof section.
SWB Rocky dropped from Australian market as well as petrol wagon.
Daihatsu Rocky only available as “RV Turbo” Diesel wagon and Diesel utility.

1993 to 1998

Feroza II introduced. Basically same layout and spec but with wider track, noticeable by the wider wheel flares, new grille and badging.

1995 saw the introduction of the second generation Rocky RV Turbo. This now came with an intercooled version of the 2.8 TD, but the party piece was its new much wider track comprising of wider rims, torsion bar IFS and a coil sprung rear live axle. All this was rapped in the fattest flares to ever grace a Daihatsu and a new bigger front grille.
This is, without doubt the toughest commercial 4x4 Daihatsu ever made.

The Rocky and Feroza were both dropped from the Australian market in 1998 and replaced (very sadly) with the Daihatsu Terios. Although the Rocky did continue to be sold in other markets (in SWB and LWB form) up until 2002.

Please note:
Some of these images have been sourced without permission. This is purely intended as an informative document and for no other purposes. If you are the owner of any of these images and do not want them used, please contact me and I will remove them.
If any of this info is inaccurate, please feel free to make corrections.

mrbenwithag
Avid Poster

Unread post by mrbenwithag » May 29th, 2009, 11:35 pm

the 2.8TD is defo not hard to come by with speed. i could quite easily drift mine in the wet, even with 31's.
i did how ever hav massive issues with its pullin ability. i found it over heated as soon as put under load.
but i think i had a coolin issue there.
if your really worried about parts, theres a place in queensland that will have ANYTHING you need for daihatsu's. i spent 2 or so months tryin to find a water pump pulley, and this bloke had 3 none clutch, and 7 clutched units when i called.
0738752555 is the number if you ever need it.:thumb:
my old rocky was a 2.8TD 90 model. (f75) i found it really good on fuel considerin how hard i drove it and the smallish tank.
personally i would go the rocky. it will get you further out bush because of its live axle and beter gearing. some models came out with a rear lsd as well.
as far as i know, if you can get your hands on a turbo from a turboed rocky, it will bolt straight onto that natural aspired one your lookin at.
my rocky had 270,000 on the clock when the injector pump died. the rest of the engine seemed fine, so 200k on that rocky your lookin at is nothing.
heres a few pics of mine for ya.:thumb: i've still got it too, sittin at my dads house collecting spiders. gota get off my butt and start tryin to sell it.

GiveItAGoGavo
Been here a while

Unread post by GiveItAGoGavo » June 2nd, 2009, 8:08 am

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Sorry took me so long to get back to ya, had a bit of a hiccup with the account.

So... the info was extremely useful. Thing is, I think Ive lost my opportunity on the Rocky, and after looking into the Ferozas a bit more, Im not sure theyre too suited for me. I think its a real shame the Rockies lost their support in Australia cause they look to be SO much fun.

Ill keep my eyes out, but at this stage I think Im leaning towards something a little more mainstream.

Thanks again!

Gav

Trojan
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Trojan » June 2nd, 2009, 8:46 am

GiveItAGoGavo wrote:Ill keep my eyes out, but at this stage I think Im leaning towards something a little more mainstream.
If wanting something a little more mainstream and of Rocky size, i think you have a few options. Just looking at mid to early 80's things.

If you want the solid axle front and rear, a Toyota Bundera is pretty equivelent. Buy the sounds of it something with Independant front end wouldn't be an issue for you, so a SWB Pajero could be another option. Between them all they all have the same look of a box on wheels.

If something a little larger doesn't bother you but not the most comfortable, a Turbo Diesel MQ/MK SWB Patrol or SWB 70 Series Landcruiser aren't to bad of an option either.

GiveItAGoGavo
Been here a while

Unread post by GiveItAGoGavo » June 2nd, 2009, 8:51 am

Trojan wrote:If wanting something a little more mainstream and of Rocky size, i think you have a few options. Just looking at mid to early 80's things.

If you want the solid axle front and rear, a Toyota Bundera is pretty equivelent. Buy the sounds of it something with Independant front end wouldn't be an issue for you, so a SWB Pajero could be another option. Between them all they all have the same look of a box on wheels.

If something a little larger doesn't bother you, a Turbo Diesel MQ/MK SWB Patrol isn't to bad of an option either.
Gday Trojan,

Definitely... At this stage, being a COMPLETE beginner I dont think any component is a real issue fo rme. I did a bit of research on the Bundera and came up with it being a bit scarce. SWB Pajeros are VERY high on my list. In fact, maybe its better to redirect this thread now to the other one I have...

showthread.php?t=70373

There we go... But I really love the SWB Pajeros... Dont mind size too much though, but I think a truck-sized cruiser is probably a bit wasteful for someone in my position at this stage.

Anyway, check out the other thread! And thanks for your input!

brad-e
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by brad-e » September 18th, 2009, 7:14 pm

hey Gavo, I have a 87 F75 Rocky 2.8TD, and believe me, it is a hell of alot of fun.
i picked it up for $2500 with 205k on the clock. it sits on 110 pretty nice and tows a fully loaded trailer full of grog ok.
keep in mind they were not popular enough to warrent companys making after market parts to buy off the shelf, such as suspension lifts, bullbars and snorkels.
(making a snorkel is't a prob, working on my design atm.) this makes stuff like suspension quite pricey.
I too am new 4wding and the rocky is my first car, they are unstopable off road and only a good set of tires help dramatically in the capabilities of this tough little truck.

check out my shed and have a look at my stock as a rock(y)

shed user name: brad-e

shambles
Been here a while

Unread post by shambles » September 19th, 2009, 5:11 pm

have look on Ebay for after market bits, You can get a full 2 inch suspension lift that included all new everthing for $1515, new snorkel for $230, body lift kit for $100. I just put new wheel bearings, brake pads all the filters all locally sorced from Bursons.

I am totaly boned over trying to get new counter sunk 'torc" bolts for the locking hubs though. They were all knackered and either drilled off or removed with a impact punch. I tried new through Toyota but the part has been superceded :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Any ideas please let me know.

Back to the subject my 88 2.8 n/t F77 tray was fine to cruise with 235/75 15's but with the 31' muddies not so good, cant see a problem with a 2.8 TD though.

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » October 17th, 2009, 7:42 am

torx bolts - coventry fasteners - get high tensile. It's been a while but that's where I found them.

batten
Avid Poster

Unread post by batten » October 18th, 2009, 11:25 am

yeh the bundies are a bit scarce and so are accesories for them but they are usually resonably cheap
Scott

GiveItAGoGavo
Been here a while

Unread post by GiveItAGoGavo » October 18th, 2009, 3:11 pm

batten wrote:yeh the bundies are a bit scarce and so are accesories for them but they are usually resonably cheap
hilux running gear though...

fjord
Here and there

Unread post by fjord » February 9th, 2010, 12:25 pm

What ever you do, get it checked out before buying.
I got stung last year against my better intentions.

marty_leash
Been here a while

Unread post by marty_leash » April 15th, 2010, 8:06 pm

Hey guys. Sorry to hijack the thread.

I'm looking at a 1988 Rocky with 2L fuel inj. petrol engine. Are these a nice little motor with usable power?

Also, does the 1988 have live axle front and rear?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Marty

mrintenso
Been here a while

Unread post by mrintenso » April 25th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Yes a 88 will have alive axels... no fuel injection though.. don't know if your looking for one or looking at one that has possibly been modified.. they have the same petrol engine as the hilux.. a 3y I think...

mrintenso
Been here a while

Unread post by mrintenso » April 25th, 2010, 3:56 pm

oh read it again... it must be a modified engine or have a conversion done to it.... you would have to make sure it was a tourqy engine and not one that gets it's power through revs...Rocky's are guns offroad though...

Return to “General Daihatsu”