When is a 1998 Terios in 4x4 mode?

That's who!
aparsons1969
I'm new, be nice!

When is a 1998 Terios in 4x4 mode?

Unread post by aparsons1969 » October 9th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Hi,

I just bought a 1998 Terios SX. But it doesn't have a owners manual, so I don't know when it is in 4x4 mode. And I don't want to damage the gearbox.

There is a rocker switch on the dash. When the switch is in the up position it lights symbol like:
/------/
|
x
|
|------|

Does that mean that 4x4 is off? Or on??

Regards.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: When is a 1998 Terios in 4x4 mode?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2013, 3:08 pm

When the switch lights up, your transfer case is meant to be locked so it's driving the front wheels as well as the rear = 4WD ON ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

aparsons1969
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by aparsons1969 » October 9th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Thanks Peter.

Wow reverse logic by Diahatsu.
I would have taken that symbol to mean that it is not in 4x4 mode.
So it means NOT 2 wheel mode.

Cheers.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Well I might be leading you up the garden path (inadvertently tho - it has been a long time since I drove one of them :( )

But, the Terios I've driven have all been Constant 4WD, so that when that light isn't ON, they are in All Wheel Drive, which really means they are driving any one of the four road wheels at any given instant thru the centre diff and the front & rear diffs - Open Differentials generally only ever drive the easiest axle (or end) with the least traction at any given instant, so they aren't really driving 4 wheels all the time - that'd create issues and make them unable to turn or climb bumps & hills etc. Buuut, when you flick that switch so the light goes ON, it Locks the Centre Diff (removing the differential action & making it more like a part time 4WD that is now IN 4WD) so that the drive is split 50/50 between the front & rear driveshafts, meaning that it's now driving both the cross axles at each end of the vehicle, and then each of those cross axles will deliver drive to (one of) the road wheels (unless they are locked or a Slip Limited LSD!)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

aparsons1969
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by aparsons1969 » October 9th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Thanks Peter I appreciate your help.

It would be so very much easier for me, as I know nothing about 4x4 driving or how it functions in a vehicle, if I had the owners manual. But it seems almost impossible to find a PDF version or a second hand copy.

Cheers.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2013, 4:43 pm

Where's home for you? There might be someone nearby with a similar vehicle so you could make a copy, or you could try contacting Toyota, they do own Daihatsu and are the 'Authorised Dealers' for them - I don't know that you'd appreciate the RRP tho?!

Still, AFAIK, when you are driving on the bitumen, wet or dry, you want that light to be OUT! But once you get off the bitumen, if you want to put it into 4WD (& you should!) like a Part-Time 4WD is once you've pulled its stubby lever into 4H or 4L (you don't have low range, so that doesn't count for you) then you need that light to be ON in order to get that sort of '4WD'- by doing that you've got equal drive to the front & rear axles, where it's up to the cross axle diffs to do the right thing and keep you moving. Great little vehicles tho, not quite as 'off road' capable as our older Feroza's & Rocky's that do have low range, but still pretty good on the firetrails and forestry tracks - and an absolute ball on a firm beach! :D

aparsons1969
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by aparsons1969 » October 9th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Cheers mate.
I'm in Campbelltown NSW.
I contacted Toyota earlier today and they said that the manuals are no longer available.
Tried searching the internet. I can find the service manuals, but not the owners manual. I'll have to keep searching.

Thanks again for your help Peter.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 9th, 2013, 7:01 pm

It might be a longshot, but you could try www.warfs.org, it's actually a network for Widetrack, Rocky's, & Feroza's, but if you look in their manuals section, you might find they have some Terios manuals too. Good Luck!

Return to “General Daihatsu”