Daihatsu F50 Brake Drum issue

That's who!
Dozerman
I'm new, be nice!

Daihatsu F50 Brake Drum issue

Unread post by Dozerman » September 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Hi All,
My first post here.
I bought an old F50 Diesel tray a while ago & noticed that the front RH brake was a bit "grabby". I could drive it OK,but could feel that the shoes needed backing off.Tried backing off via the adjusters on the cylinders,but everything is VERY seized up & nothing moves.The brake is currently locked up & has a hold on the drum,so I can't remove drum.I have opened up the brake line.
This vehicle has sat under a tree for some years & a few of the wheels & nuts are very corroded...so I imagine the brakes are corroded too.
I wish to remove the drum,even if I have to cut it away . I'm not too fussed about the brake,so am happy to isolate the front brake/s & just use the rear.I live on a flat block & brake needs are minimal.

Also,the front LH locking-hub was removed before I bought it. I'd like to get a diagram of both the hub & front brake set ups.If anyone has some ideas on diagrams & drum removal,please let me know....

Also,any suggestions on used spare parts suppliers?I did a phone around in Melbourne,but not much on offer..

This old girl starts & runs well & does everything I need ,but has been neglected.She carries a water tank on back & that's her only job.No mountain climbing or mud wrestling here...

Thanks for your help.
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nilla60

Re: Daihatsu F50 Brake Drum issue

Unread post by nilla60 » September 14th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Have you tried working your way around the drum with a lump hammer? Some times you can get the drum out enough to get at the shoes/cylinder. If the cylinder is frozen and there's a lip worn on the drum it could be a royal pain to remove.

We had a similar issue with a G60 where the rear brakes had been rusted out by the previous owner from launching boats into salty water. As it was a paddock basher this was "fixed" by crimping the rear brake lines.

BTW, that hole between studs might be for you to insert a bolt in to and wind the drum off.

Dozerman
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dozerman » September 15th, 2013, 9:23 am

Hi Nilla,
Yep,tried the hammer thing a few times after heating the drum a little.
The 2 extraction holes,like everything else,have badly corroded threads.

I'm thinking that I could maybe cut a section of drum away & then just cut the brakes enough to get everything off.
If I could see a picture of one of these drum & brake systems,I could pick a good cut spot.

This drum is well stuck...when I dragged the ute to it's current spot,the front RH drag mark was very visible on the ground.

My problem is that I have no experience with 4WDs,so I've never stuffed around with front axles & brakes.

Thanks,
Jim

dhc4ever
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dhc4ever » September 16th, 2013, 12:55 pm

A sticky one, pardon the pun.
Try the bolts in the pulling holes and try to get a lot of wd 40 or inox into the drum. Spray/pour it in every day.
Do this for about a week.
Start nipping the puller bolts up and whale into it with a lump hammer.
Failing all that, use a grinder and a cutting disc to deeply score the drum cross hatch it with 2 cuts 90 degree apart and bash a cold chisel into the cuts, hopefully it will split the drum. How viscous you get will depend on how much of the original setup you want to salvage or if there are any parts available if it comes to Armageddon to get it off.

Dozerman
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Dozerman » September 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm

The theads on the extractor holes are unusable,so I think I'll just get the grinder/recipricator saw onto it & try to cut a bit out of the drum & cut the shoes.I'll take off the opposing wheel & drum to see what it all looks like.

Can anyone tell me anything about the lock hubs that are on my front axles? One of them was removed when I bought the ute,& I found some parts in the glovebox.I Just need to work out what bits are missing...& how to re-assemble it properly.

I'll possibly need to source a front drum too.

Thanks guys,
Jim

Return to “General Daihatsu”