5 spd box into a Scat?

Elblado
Here and there

5 spd box into a Scat?

Unread post by Elblado » June 28th, 2012, 8:42 pm

has anyone converted their scat to a 5spd? what box? any problems? I've got an F50 and I know they came with a 5spd as an option. Also heard I can easily mount a rocky box but that I will loose the handbrake as the 4spd works off the transfer drum. Will same era toyota hilux boxes fit?
1992 Rodeo DLX- The Wheelbarrow
2014 Toyota Prado

Mr Scat
I'm new, be nice!

Re: 5 spd box into a Scat?

Unread post by Mr Scat » June 29th, 2012, 5:43 am

Didn't do a conversion as mine was a five speed already but I do know that the bell housing, input shaft and clutch on the DG (2.5) + 4sp setup is the same as the DL (2.8) + 5sp. As for the back of the box (dimensions/length etc) I'm not sure (4sp I have didn't come with a transfer case so can't compare). I have heard you can use a Rocky box but have to change the selector housing otherwise the gearstick will be in the wrong place. Good luck finding a five speed though, I ended up having to buy a complete car just to get one.
F-65 DL-T 5sp 2" lift

DR - Doctor
Getting to know the place

Unread post by DR - Doctor » June 29th, 2012, 10:21 am

Hey Fella's Try these Guy's.. http://www.exjap.com.au/ I was after some bits & pieces was very helpful has a number of Trans & Transfer Case but only thing is.. will only sell as complete units not just bits..

Cheers

DAT MAN
Been here a while

Unread post by DAT MAN » August 15th, 2012, 12:23 pm

All right heres the low down don't know bout the rocky box as an option because the rocky 2.8 is different to the F60/F65 2.8 the boxes are the same across the petrol and diesel though so you should just be able to change you bell housing on if you happen to grab one out of a F20/25,
(FYI i have heard that the first generation of the rocky was a F50/F60 with a new style bode on it but i have not investigated it)

I do have a 5 speed sitting on the floor waiting on me to rebuild it.

For the 5 speed- If you find one you will need a shorter rear tail shaft and a longer front shaft as the box is longer (from memory by at least 4 inches).

Finding a box- Now comes the tricky part the obvious best bet is to find a 20/25 50/55 60/65 5 speed box but as there pretty rare (its not who you know its how you know them) the next thing is the daihatsu delta. I know what your thinking A delta but thats truck yes it is but it is part of out humble brethren as it utilised the same 2.5 and 2.8 and 4 and 5 speed driveline as our F's, how ever with one exception the transfer case was dropped and in place was a P.T.O hydraulic pump this can be removed and the t case bolted back on (I know this because my fathers F50 was running around with one in it after the original destroyed it self in glorious fasion).
The next is the toyota blizzard i have the 4 speed variant in my F25 turned diesel yes they do run a hilux 2.2 but the driveline is all daihatsu (the diff ratio is 4.11) the bell housing is cast aluminium produced to "mate" the two together and they also had the option of the 5 speed, you don't see many of out ill fated friends as the weak 2.2 ended up failing prematurely landing them in quite a fue back paddics, wrecking yards and worst of all being crushed and smelted down such a sad end to those that had so much promis :cry:
It goes without saying that the next would the the hilux box this would take a custom bell housing/adaptor, custom gear box support, custom drive shafts/adaptors and custom sticks or cutting more holes in your truck (as if the years of previous abuse and bastardisation aren't enough), but you will run into further toubles with not only the diff ratios but also the length and the clutch activation. the hilux box is quite a lengthy sucker (trying to "stuff" that into something with a 75 inch wheel base would be nothing short of hocus pocus) not to mention they run a hydraulic clutch slave cylinder, could be a might bit tricky to navigate around unless you use your bell housing but that could take some clutch fork alterations to get the right feel back.

Hope that helps I two have bought neumorus whole scat just for parts, just for the record me and my family have all together had 12 F seres ranging from the F10 right up to F60 (most of those were mine oh and one F70 but that exploded so that makes it 13)

cheers and keep onto of that dam rust if you don't one day you'll turn around and it will just be a pile of dust inumungst some wheels.

Elblado
Here and there

Unread post by Elblado » September 15th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the info Dat Man. Let me know if I've understood this correctly. I could buy a Delta 5spd box and use the transfer case from my existing 4spd? or would I need to source a 5spd transfer case? I hate taking my scat on the hwy as it seems like torture for the poor bastard.
1992 Rodeo DLX- The Wheelbarrow
2014 Toyota Prado

DAT MAN
Been here a while

Unread post by DAT MAN » September 28th, 2012, 7:34 am

Yes you should be able to do that but be ware that you will probably have to modify your tcase shifter as the 5 speed is longer than the 4.

Return to “Scat”