Feroza Fuel guage probs

4xrunner
Been here a while

Feroza Fuel guage probs

Unread post by 4xrunner » July 19th, 2008, 5:14 pm

OK guys after some help with my newly acquired 1994 Feroza.
The fuel guage is not behaving itself.
When the tank is full and car is idle guage reads just under half, when I am driving the guage goes down to empty, then when the tank is approx half full it moves up to half and slowly comes down to empty. When it is on empty there is about 20 litres still left in the tank.

Any ideas on why this may be happening?

Deans4by

Unread post by Deans4by » July 20th, 2008, 10:36 am

Sounds like the sender unit in the tank might be playing up.
Dean
Who cares what 4wd you have just get out and use it.
MK Triton 2.8L TD a few mods goes alright.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 20th, 2008, 2:02 pm

How many k's has the car done? Do you have a long range tank in it or is it still the OE tank?? Some of the replacement tanks don't have great instructions for extending or modding the sender float arm, and some Ferozas with long range tanks find the float gets caught in all sorts of odd places and consequently the guage doesn't look good until the float falls free. Others end up with floats that have holes in them, so when the tank is empty the float is empty - fill the tank the guage goes up as the fuel level goes up then it sinks as the float fills with fuel before settling at about 1/2 as the full float finds equilibrium. Then it can go crazy while the fuel tank slowly empties and the float bounces around under the surface level, never reporting correctly until the float empties again when the tank gets low. But your problem sounds more electrical in nature!

If you've got a workshop manual, check the specs for the fuel guage sender unit and use a multi-meter to confirm that it's behaving properly. Failing that, you will probly hafta visit an Auto Elec to get it checked, altho it's almost certainly gonna be something wrong there & you might save some time & money by just chasing down a new sender unit and installing it!

These things don't often have anything go physically wrong with them that is repairable (apart from the first para) and your only real chance for an easy fix is that the electrical fault is occurring outside the tank - and that's not a really high chance. So it might just be your best bet to chase down a new sender unit. Here I usually get Daihatsu parts thru the local AutoPro - they chase them down and if there is a cheaper alternative they usually can find that out and supply said part.

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

4xrunner
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xrunner » July 24th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Peter @ Aawen4x4 wrote:How many k's has the car done? Do you have a long range tank in it or is it still the OE tank?? Some of the replacement tanks don't have great instructions for extending or modding the sender float arm, and some Ferozas with long range tanks find the float gets caught in all sorts of odd places and consequently the guage doesn't look good until the float falls free. Others end up with floats that have holes in them, so when the tank is empty the float is empty - fill the tank the guage goes up as the fuel level goes up then it sinks as the float fills with fuel before settling at about 1/2 as the full float finds equilibrium. Then it can go crazy while the fuel tank slowly empties and the float bounces around under the surface level, never reporting correctly until the float empties again when the tank gets low. But your problem sounds more electrical in nature!

If you've got a workshop manual, check the specs for the fuel guage sender unit and use a multi-meter to confirm that it's behaving properly. Failing that, you will probly hafta visit an Auto Elec to get it checked, altho it's almost certainly gonna be something wrong there & you might save some time & money by just chasing down a new sender unit and installing it!

These things don't often have anything go physically wrong with them that is repairable (apart from the first para) and your only real chance for an easy fix is that the electrical fault is occurring outside the tank - and that's not a really high chance. So it might just be your best bet to chase down a new sender unit. Here I usually get Daihatsu parts thru the local AutoPro - they chase them down and if there is a cheaper alternative they usually can find that out and supply said part.

Good Luck!

Thanks Peter

I went to look at the sender couple of days ago, but I need to drop the tank out as there is no insepction hole in the boot.
I will be dropping the tank out as soon as I can and inspecting the sender unit. The thing has been doing some funny stuff lately.
Ran out of fuel the other day and only done 425 km's, I expected to get a lot more than that out of a 60 lite tank. Anyway put about 3 litres in (just enough to get to the nearest petrol station) and when I got to the station it only took 50 Litres. Going to be interesting to see what is in there when I drop the thing and get the sender out.

brett131267
Getting to know the place

Faulty fuel gauge

Unread post by brett131267 » July 27th, 2008, 9:48 am

Had the same problem with my 93 Feroza, had to remove tank to get at sender unit, then open up case of unit.When the float arm moves up and down it makes contact along a copper wire wrap which signals the level of fuel in tank.The metal piece that contacts the copper wire when the float arm moves was not making good contact ( not at all in some places ) so carefully bent the metal piece so had contact all the way along, tested by conecting back up and manually moving float valve through full range.Unit is working great now.Easy fix compared to about $70.00 for a new unit, just requires a bit of labour to remove and replace fuel tank. Hope this helps.

4xrunner
Been here a while

Unread post by 4xrunner » July 27th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Hey Brett thanks for tha advice
I managed to get the tank out today and looks like it may have been the same problem.
The slider wasnt contacting the coil all the way up and the coild was filthy and needed a clean.
Cleaned it up and carefully bent the slider back so it made contact with the coil all the way up and it looks to have fixed it.
Ultimate test will come on my next full tank of gas. :-)

Thanks all for the advice.

arch1
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Feroza Fuel guage probs

Unread post by arch1 » October 7th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Hi, Im having a very similair problem on my '93 Feroza, sending unit is not behaving. Could I get some specifics on how you went about removing the fuel tank and cleaning/bending the sending unit.
Thanks

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Feroza Fuel guage probs

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 7th, 2013, 9:53 pm

Hi arch, on the two Feroza's in my driveway atm, there is a little panel under the rear seats/carpet that you can take out to get at the top of the sender unit, replacing it thru that hole in the floor pan. It's usually easy enough to fold the rear seats forwards, undo the strip across the tailgate door & lift the carpet to get at it, & then you should be OK from there. Buuut, if you haven't got that removable panel & hafta get to the fuel tank, run it as empty of fuel as you can first; then with the front chocked & the rear of the vehicle raised to work on, take the weight of the tank from below with a trolley jack & a slab of wood to spread the load. Then, still from underneath, undo the hose clamp on the filler & fast fill vent hose (if you can reach the tank end to undo those it makes getting the tank out easier, you just hafta slide the tank sideways & down at the same time if you leave the hoses on the tank! :( ) before undo-ing the bolts that hold the tank into place in the chassis - there are some front and back, can't remember exactly how many. Once they are all undone, you should be able to carefully lower the tank a little at a time and see what elec wires and hoses to the front of the car will need to be removed - label them as you undo them so you know where they hafta go when you put it all back. Once they are all disconnected, lower the tank to the ground and slide it out from under the vehicle.

When you've got it out from underneath the vehicle, clean around it and then carefully remove the sender unit, only make sure you don't over-stress the small screws - remember it's 'righty tighty, lefty loosey' to undo them, and once you get the sender unit out, you should be able to see where & how to clean &/or bend the float arm. If the sextant bit is worn off, you might just hafta get a new one or a replacement from a wreckers.

Putting it all back is much the same - be careful not to overtighten those little screws holding the sender unit in, they strip easily and it's a right pain if you do that!! And if you couldn't take the filler/vent hoses off from the tank end, you won't be able to get them back on once the tank is up there either, but having them on the tank when you try to raise it into position makes it a lift & slide sideways job that isn't as easy to do as it is to say it! Don't forget to connect all the hoses & wires etc to the front of the car once the tank is raised a little but not fully in place; and when you do the final raise make sure you don't crimp or kink any of the hoses, especially the hoses to/from the fuel pump, kink them and you can make yourself a whole lot of hard to track down issues!! And don't forget to make sure everything is tight before you finish up!

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Return to “Feroza”