Carbon Canister Line Help

fezwok
Getting to know the place

Carbon Canister Line Help

Unread post by fezwok » May 18th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a Feroza and I'm loving it! Currently I'm trying to narrow down why my 92 Feroza is low idling/stalling when coming to a stop.

*Things I've done are, replace oil, oil filter and fuel filter. Car is booked into Toyota this week for them to check the check valve as per recall some years ago.

One thing I've noticed in my engine bay was that one of the lines coming off the Carbon Canister doesn't go anywhere (pictures attached)

Can someone please shed some light as to where that might go? I can't see any other lines in that area that it could plug into.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Carbon Canister Line Help

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 20th, 2015, 10:51 pm

Sorry I didn't see this to answer sooner fezwok!! That little hose from the Carbon Cannister should be connected to one of the hoses that comes from the throttle body at the front of the intake plenum. We can see some of those hoses in the bottom right corner of the lower pic above. On all of the engines I have here atm, that particular hose is connected to the hose that leads to the Drivers side front most hose on the throttle body. Two of the other hoses connected to the throttle body go up to the valve on the firewall just a bit closer to the centre of the car than where you have the red circle, and the other one is 'T'd into a hose running lower down along the length of the intake plenum.

Hope that helps some, sorry I don't have a pic for you, but there are some pics that might help at www.warfs.org, and there is even a diagram in the downloadable manual you can get from that site. ;)

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 21st, 2015, 1:24 pm

Thanks for the info Pete, reading the posts on the forums I appreciate your knowledge on these cars!

I did have a look through warfs at the diagrams but got confused as one manual said that the line from the canister went to the BVSV (which I can't find) then out of that into the throttle body.

Will have another look this evening, if that fails I'll post up another pic of the intake plenum area and perhaps you can point out where the line is supposed to connect to. (All nipples/lines currently look like they are connected to something)

Cheers

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 21st, 2015, 2:03 pm

If you get to the taking of a pic, try to include the hoses that plug onto the throttle body, AND where they go to back on the firewall - there should be 3 running back along the plenum, two to the valve on the firewall, one to that hose you haven't got connected atm, and one dives down into the gap between the intake plenum and the head, where it connects via a 'T' piece into another hose.... can't remember off the top of my head where that hose ends up, but I can have a look later on. :thumb:

Good Luck!!

Ps, this might help at least a little if you also have the stalling at idle problem, altho it's not specifically part of that problem, but if that hose is not connected, it's pretty likely that one of the others is connected wrongly or possibly even hanging in the breeze, and those hoses & where they are connected can have an impact on your engine's idling!! That's why you always need to make sure they are all connected before trying anything else to diagnose idling &/or stalling/revving problems! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 22nd, 2015, 12:03 am

Finally home from work and was able to grab a few shots, I've tried to label them the best I can (The letters just match up to where the hose goes ie A to A, B to B etc)

Definitely some weird stuff going on. There's a nipple towards the back of the plenum which goes to an F? piece and one of those goes into a t-piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fezwok on May 22nd, 2015, 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 22nd, 2015, 12:05 am

That red "T" piece drawing is of a T piece that is lower down the plenum (bit awkward to get the camera in there.

I've labelled the ends in regards to where they go.

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 22nd, 2015, 12:09 am

:lol: Sorry if that's confusing, I tried to put the photos in order but no luck. The letters are a bit more clear when you click on the pic

Any help would be great. Thanks

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 22nd, 2015, 3:25 am

On all the engines I have access to atm, the hose you have labelled as 'I' is the one that connects to the smaller dia hose fm the charcoal canister....?!?! It fits into the vacant slots on the holders along the top of the plenum, & the hose you've labelled 'J' connects all of those lower hose you can't readily take pics of together somehow... but I can't even see them right now, it's a tad dark & wet out there (& the cars'll be gone at sparrow-fart when the kids go to work! :( ) and of course there's always the risk that mine are all the same cos somewhere along the line they've all been worked on by the same bloke.... :o

You don't know of anyone nearby with a Feroza you can compare your plumbing to?? It's just a little far for me to do a quick trip to check your vehicle out! :purplex:

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 22nd, 2015, 9:19 am

Hi Pete, thanks for that.I may have to post up and ask if any Perth guys would be willing to meet up so I can see how their lines are plumbed up.

I did find this diagram on warfs, would you this is how your engines are plumbed up?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 22nd, 2015, 9:30 am

Yup, that schematic shows very clearly the way our Feroza's vac hoses are connected up! ;)

The front-most hose in the cluster on the throttle body is the hose that connects into the charcoal canister, while the lowest/rear-most/engine-side hose is the one that drops into the gap between the engine & intake plenum to join up with the plumbing laid out as in the WAARFS diagram - unlike yours where the front-most hose is the hose that does that!

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 22nd, 2015, 10:40 am

Looks like I'm going to re-plumb it all up this weekend.

From that diagram would you say that the line going from the point labelled "sub" is T'd into the last nipple on the plenum along with the pressure sensor?

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 22nd, 2015, 4:35 pm

No, the pressure regulator, gas filter, and pressure sensor are linked via that 'T'; the point labelled 'sub' is connected by a direct and unbroken hose to the connector on the side of the plenum behind the gas filter, it just happens to run alongside the hose with the 'T' in it.... make sense??

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 22nd, 2015, 4:54 pm

Awesome, makes sense! Thanks, will give it a shot this weekend and will let you know how I go.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » May 22nd, 2015, 5:01 pm

:thumb: Good Luck!!

fezwok

Unread post by fezwok » May 23rd, 2015, 7:57 pm

Quick update, I've re-plumbed all the vac lines and everything is sweet, idle is sweet and it drives fine... that is until the car reaches operating temperature, then it runs super rich blowing heaps of smoke and stalling out when coasting or coming to a stop.

But that's another issue!

Cheers for the help with the lines Peter

Return to “Feroza”